autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Daytona Wheel Brushes?

A little help please. I need a new spoke brush. I have BMW BBS style spoke wheels which are a pain to clean. I want to clean the spokes and the interior rim at the same time but I don't want to damage them, rotors or calipers.

I can no longer source the natural Tampico spoke brushes with a vinyl tip that I've used for years and I've given up looking on the internet after several months of searching. The one that I used to source at the speed shop has a stiff wire what didn't bend much and the 2-3" diameter tampico bristles worked great! The vinyl tip of the inexpensive brush normally cracked exposing the twisted metal rod before the brush wore out, but I normally got several years of 2 cars per week service out of them. All I seem to find are tampico spoke brushes with a non-protected metal tip.

Earlier this year, I tried a Laitner spoke brush that lasted about 2 months before the flexible metal shaft snapped off. I'm hesitant to spend $30 for a spoke brush when I used to spend $5 for a great tool.

How does the standard Daytona brush work with BMW BBS spoke wheels? How about the new Mini?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daytona Wheel Brushes?

Ive gotten more than a year from my Daytona brush with weekly use. Then again I NEVER from my EZ-Detail one. I think you need to get the stick a little care, and yes the Daytona version is thicker.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Ive gotten more than a year from my Daytona brush with weekly use. Then again I NEVER from my EZ-Detail one. I think you need to get the stick a little care, and yes the Daytona version is thicker.
    Thanks Scott! I'm thinking about picking up the Daytona, Mini and 2 foam pocket combo.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite wheel brush is the Daytona Speed Master and the EZ Detail Brush. Both brushes are great....the Daytona's stronger stem provides better durability over time with all the bending and flexing I do, but the EZ Detail's ever-so-slightly stiffer bristles are less "floppy" when soaked in soap and water so they retain their original position better over time.

I highly recommend the Daytona or the EZ Detail, just keep in mind that both brushes feature very soft bristles (again, the Daytona's being even softer) so you're going to get WAY less scrubbing power out of them than the brush you were previously using; I know exactly which ones you're talking about.

I couldn't tell you to get one over the other, except that currently the Daytona and Daytona Mini are on VIP special for $35 for the pair, which is a very nice deal.

As for maintenance, the factory glue that holds the handle to the stem always fails on me because I am quite abusive - I use mine for wheels and wheel wells 2-3 times per week. A quick application of Guerilla Glue to the handle and the stem fixes it for good. And you have to rinse the brush out in hot water and comb the bristles back to their original shape after each use. Also make sure to store the brush upright or in its original container (the Mini or Junior version does not come with the plastic storage container that the full size ones do, so figure out proper placement for the Mini/Jr brush).

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but I gave good information so read it.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    My favorite wheel brush is the Daytona Speed Master and the EZ Detail Brush. Both brushes are great....the Daytona's stronger stem provides better durability over time with all the bending and flexing I do, but the EZ Detail's ever-so-slightly stiffer bristles are less "floppy" when soaked in soap and water so they retain their original position better over time.

I highly recommend the Daytona or the EZ Detail, just keep in mind that both brushes feature very soft bristles (again, the Daytona's being even softer) so you're going to get WAY less scrubbing power out of them than the brush you were previously using; I know exactly which ones you're talking about.

I couldn't tell you to get one over the other, except that currently the Daytona and Daytona Mini are on VIP special for $35 for the pair, which is a very nice deal.

As for maintenance, the factory glue that holds the handle to the stem always fails on me because I am quite abusive - I use mine for wheels and wheel wells 2-3 times per week. A quick application of Guerilla Glue to the handle and the stem fixes it for good. And you have to rinse the brush out in hot water and comb the bristles back to their original shape after each use. Also make sure to store the brush upright or in its original container (the Mini or Junior version does not come with the plastic storage container that the full size ones do, so figure out proper placement for the Mini/Jr brush).

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but I gave good information so read it.
    Thanks for the heads up on the hot water, comb the bristles and how to store it. I really liked the older tampico brushes as they were stiff enough to get the brake dust off without scratching and cleaned better than the Laitner that snapped off at the handle after a couple of months. OK, there are enough good comments to give these Daytonas a shot.

Yep, I saw the VIP. I think that Meghan and the boys were reading my posts. Thanks Guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend the Daytona Speed Master. In fact, a couple co-workers were impressed so much that they wanted me to order one for them. I actually have 2 of the regular size. I keep 1 bent and 1 straight. I don't see a need to replace these for a long, long time!
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"