autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are all clay bars the same?

Just wanted to know if all clay bars do the same job or is one better than others. I currently have Griots Garage clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are all clay bars the same?

Yes, they're all designed to do the same job. There are differences only in the level of aggressiveness; fine, medium, mild, etc...
    I've only used the fine grade. I've never tried anything stronger than that...
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Boy this is a loaded question....

A lot of us think the best bars are no longer available in the US. Our Canadian friends and others can get them but not us...

Having said that, there are a lot of very good bars that you can use. Depending on what you need they can range from a VERY mild abrasive (Pinnacle Ultra Poly is my favorite) thru medium clays and into the very abrasive (Meguir's red as an example). AG has a very good selection of bars for you to choose from and experiment with.

The more abrasive clays WILL require the paint to be polished after use though. You didn't have anything better to do in your spare time anyway did you???

Post Thanks / Like

Quite honestly I like the Mothers clay bar. Don't really need a polish afterwards, just some wax. Any idea how aggressive it is, and any clay comparable to it, that I can buy by itself and not in a full kit (don't need any more Showtime).

I would like the try the Wolfgang clay though.

Post Thanks / Like

the issue with clay is that Claymagics parent company owns several patents on its design and makeup. There does seem to be some differences in abrasive level, but likely most companies are quite similar and paying royalty fees.

Post Thanks / Like

For a good mild bar similar to the Mothers in a kit, try the Megiur's blue. You can get just the bar without any lube.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's a mild bar then? Any others you recommend too? Where does the Wolfgang clay fit in?

Post Thanks / Like

I use claymagic. I've tried a couple other ones, but I find myself reaching for my claymagic. It's considered to be a fine grade. As most claybars you find at your local parts store, they all are for most part a fine grade...
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Nrengle,

Call up the folks at AG. They sell (and test) so many clays that I'm sure they can help with what you need. I use Clay Magic, Meguir's and Pinnacle Ultra Poly. Never had a need to go much past them although in the past I have used clays from some of their competition. I just like the service that I get from AG. On the rare times that I needed some fast I go to the local auto paint store (my niece found my stash one day and LOVED playing with uncle David's PlayDoh....).

Oh yeh, the PlayDoh incident cost me about 200 bucks worth of clay.... I have to admit though, she was still cute...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I use claymagic. I've tried a couple other ones, but I find myself reaching for my claymagic. It's considered to be a fine grade.
    Me too. And I specifically use their Body Shine as a lube as well. I've tried many Clay Magic "hybrids" and none compare to the original. There's got to be a reason why Auto Wax Co. doesn't private label that exact formula to resellers that want "their own clay".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast