autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad washer....worth it?

Tired of soaking then hand cleaning of atleast 10-12 pads after a buff job. Are pad washers worth it to clean and speed up the process?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad washer....worth it?

i bought one on sale and love it. It does save me time. My old process involved partial hand cleaning. It was failry time consuming. New process using the Lake Country pad cleaner saves me a good amount of time.

3. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest in that I haven't used one, but I've always wondered how they wouldn't shorten the life of your pads considering you're rubbing them against a square grid.

And then there's the corded tool with a bucket of water factor...

5. Likes PaulMys, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I'll be honest in that I haven't used one, but I've always wondered how they wouldn't shorten the life of your pads considering you're rubbing them against a square grid.

And then there's the corded tool with a bucket of water factor...
    The one i'm using isn't a square grid. It's "ribs" are rounded and quite smooth. With proper technique, i don't see the pads' life being shortened.

I do tend to use my cordless polisher with it
    edit: to add to the "bucket full of water factor" - the LC unit is "enclosed" so it's not like you have an open source of water. In the pic below, I do have a bucket of solution for a pre rinse as I had several pads sitting while I waited for my unit to arrive. Normally, it would just be the LC pad cleaner. The cleaning solution from the pad cleaner would run down into a separate compartment below the center piece. So it's not like a "bucket of water" so to speak

7. Thanks TTQ B4U, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    The one i'm using isn't a square grid. It's "ribs" are rounded and quite smooth. With proper technique, i don't see the pads' life being shortened.

edit: to add to the "bucket full of water factor" - the LC unit is "enclosed" so it's not like you have an open source of water. In the pic below, I do have a bucket of solution for a pre rinse as I had several pads sitting while I waited for my unit to arrive. Normally, it would just be the LC pad cleaner. The cleaning solution from the pad cleaner would run down into a separate compartment below the center piece. So it's not like a "bucket of water" so to speak

I just ordered one of those today as I've been putting it off and using a more manual method. Thanks for confirming your thoughts on it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I just ordered one of those today as I've been putting it off and using a more manual method. Thanks for confirming your thoughts on it.
    You're welcome Pad washer....worth it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add, this is the best video i found (I watched several) on how to "best" use it.

11. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i bought one on sale and love it. It does save me time. My old process involved partial hand cleaning. It was failry time consuming. New process using the Lake Country pad cleaner saves me a good amount of time.
    Hell yes thankyou for all that great info!! Im gonna order the lake country one as well. Also might as well take advantage of the 25 percent off.

I always dreaded the pad cleaning part of the gig cuz it does take some time when you have many dirty pads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing! I've not seen that style, I think I've only seen ones like the Grit Guard style. That one had the more square edged grid that made me nervous.

I suppose on the electricity front you could also just run a drill adapter (Griot's has a quick connect adapter that threads onto the DA backing plates for pretty cheap) and use a cordless drill. But like you mention, it looks like it's pretty contained.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I've watched that video. I'll check it out.

I do have that pad washer. My one comment on it is that the latest version does not have a splash guard and I've gotten a little wet when spinning the pads dry. Might not want to use it by the vehicle. I was actually going to put a splash guard on one side of it.

Oh, and don't forget a GFCI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast