autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad washer....worth it?

So you guys all have way more polishers and pads experience than I do, but I do have experience with being lazy.. haha kidding.
    I have only taken a polisher to 3 vehicles ever, last summer jumped into this end of the detailing pool from being a 'hand applied guy' for everything forever.
    Well as I said, I am new to all this but can tell you I said "well this part sucks" about trying to clean pads after using them. I saw Detail Guardz out of Toronto and bought their system. I didn't want my brand new "I paid alot for this" polishers to get anywhere near water and ended up calling the guys there. Got to talking and feel of them, great bunch of guys there!! I can honestly say cleaning pads is a breeze with this. I use their spray cleaner (it came in the kit I chose to buy) work it in, then use the plunger system. Amazing results, I mean pads come out like they were before I started. I let them sit a day then come back and do them the next day with no solution spray just clean water and the ever so faint smell of citrus from the spray is gone after that round. I was amazed when I first used it, again, you all have been doing this longer than me and seen way more than me, but I keep saying 'How can anyone that does this and has pads to clean not have this??"
    DIRT LOCK - COMPLETE PAD WASHER KIT WITH CLEANER – The Detail Guardz | Premium Car Care Products USA

As a test, before I bought all my 'new' detail journey toys last summer I played with Meguiars old "drill attachment" polisher system I bought when it cam out. I never ever tried it, but last year opened it to try it to see how I felt about polishers to "get a feel" to see how I would enjoy it before making a bigger $$ polisher purchase. Got an old truck hood from a friend to play on and used the Ultimate compound/polish/wax with the red/yellow/black pads that go with the system. Those pads just sat for a couple months while I got swept up it spending Visa money on detail gear and products. When I used the Detail Guardz on the pads when I first did a car, I was so impressed with how clean they came out I tried looking for other things to clean. I reached for the dirty Megs pads from now a few months old. I was amazed how clean they came out too!!

2. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's significantly cut down how long it takes to clean my pads at the end of the detail, because I'm usually washing them as I go. Once I wash one, I'll set it aside and use the fresh one. By the time the second one needs a good washing, the first one is ready to go.

But sometimes at the end of the day I'll throw then all in the washing machine with some Rags To Riches.

Great too though! My better half loves that I'm not spending a bunch of time washing them in the sink.

4. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    It's significantly cut down how long it takes to clean my pads at the end of the detail, because I'm usually washing them as I go. Once I wash one, I'll set it aside and use the fresh one. By the time the second one needs a good washing, the first one is ready to go.

But sometimes at the end of the day I'll throw then all in the washing machine with some Rags To Riches.

Great too though! My better half loves that I'm not spending a bunch of time washing them in the sink.
    They must dry pretty fast for ya then.

The washer eh? How do ypu dry them? I didnt think the dryer worked well for me

I usually spin them out with the rotary then put them on top of the box fan to help dry faster but still takes forever

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. Likes dgage, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    They must dry pretty fast for ya then.

The washer eh? How do ypu dry them? I didnt think the dryer worked well for me

I usually spin them out with the rotary then put them on top of the box fan to help dry faster but still takes forever

They're usually a little damp, but it doesn't bother me.

The washing machine does a really good job of cleaning then.

I had a problem with my old school Buff and Shine Grip Pads starting to "bowl" not sure how because I'm not a heavy pressure kind of guy. But running them through the washer and dryer sprung them back into shape.

8. Likes opie, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I just ordered one of those today as I've been putting it off and using a more manual method. Thanks for confirming your thoughts on it.
    Went to order mine last night and went to make the payment/submit order and all of a sudden a message pops up saying it is no longer available...out of stock.

I was not to happy in that moment lol

You probly got the last one Pad washer....worth it?Pad washer....worth it?Pad washer....worth it?Pad washer....worth it?

10. Likes TTQ B4U, dlc95, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to order mine last night and went to make the payment/submit order and all of a sudden a message pops up saying it is no longer available...out of stock.

I was not to happy in that moment lol

You probly got the last one Pad washer....worth it?Pad washer....worth it?Pad washer....worth it?Pad washer....worth it?

Dang that luck!

Well, I may or may not have purchased from another vendor, but I can not confirm or deny. ;]

12. Likes opie, chilly, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Dang that luck!

Well, I may or may not have purchased from another vendor, but I can not confirm or deny. ;]
    Haha yep same...just waiting to see if easter brings a better sale at other vendor

14. Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha yep same...just waiting to see if easter brings a better sale at other vendor

I like those 25% off sales!

16. Likes opie, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    So you guys all have way more polishers and pads experience than I do, but I do have experience with being lazy.. haha kidding.
    I have only taken a polisher to 3 vehicles ever, last summer jumped into this end of the detailing pool from being a 'hand applied guy' for everything forever.
    Well as I said, I am new to all this but can tell you I said "well this part sucks" about trying to clean pads after using them. I saw Detail Guardz out of Toronto and bought their system. I didn't want my brand new "I paid alot for this" polishers to get anywhere near water and ended up calling the guys there. Got to talking and feel of them, great bunch of guys there!! I can honestly say cleaning pads is a breeze with this. I use their spray cleaner (it came in the kit I chose to buy) work it in, then use the plunger system. Amazing results, I mean pads come out like they were before I started. I let them sit a day then come back and do them the next day with no solution spray just clean water and the ever so faint smell of citrus from the spray is gone after that round. I was amazed when I first used it, again, you all have been doing this longer than me and seen way more than me, but I keep saying 'How can anyone that does this and has pads to clean not have this??"
    DIRT LOCK - COMPLETE PAD WASHER KIT WITH CLEANER – The Detail Guardz | Premium Car Care Products USA

As a test, before I bought all my 'new' detail journey toys last summer I played with Meguiars old "drill attachment" polisher system I bought when it cam out. I never ever tried it, but last year opened it to try it to see how I felt about polishers to "get a feel" to see how I would enjoy it before making a bigger $$ polisher purchase. Got an old truck hood from a friend to play on and used the Ultimate compound/polish/wax with the red/yellow/black pads that go with the system. Those pads just sat for a couple months while I got swept up it spending Visa money on detail gear and products. When I used the Detail Guardz on the pads when I first did a car, I was so impressed with how clean they came out I tried looking for other things to clean. I reached for the dirty Megs pads from now a few months old. I was amazed how clean they came out too!!
    I have that one too.

The Lake Country pad washer is most certainly better, but for the amount of polishing I do means the Detail Guardz version is enough for my needs. It seemed to do a pretty good job of flushing out the compound and cleaning residue.

18. Likes Silly Rabbit, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have never used a pad washer but i do clean my pads often. I spray with my 50% degreaser. I then power wash the pads. Once complete I bring inside and rinse under warm water in the sink rinsing until clean. I then air dry.
    Works well for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast