autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Another Polisher or not, that is the question ?

Hi folks, I hope you are all keeping well?

I need your recommendations on my next polisher. I currently have a Flex PXE 80 and a Flex XCE 10-8 corded.
    If you were to buy another polisher to compliment these 2, what would you buy ? Doesnt need to be a Flex.
    I was at first thinking of the Flex XFE 3" as I thought the PXE80 I have may not be powerful enough to do the slightly larger areas and in turn could be used to do the whole car as the 3" Rupes pads I use have a 4" face. That in turn saves me getting out the XCE. I like the XCE and its great, but it can be a bit of a workout for me sometimes, and our cars are small to average in size ( VW Polo and Audi A3). or would something like the Shinemate EX605 or Rupes Duetto be better to compliment the PXE instead, being lighter than the XCE I have, albeit it will have a 5" backing pad on it, the same as the XCE - So essentially I would be using the same Rupes DA pads on it that inturn have a 6" face. What would you recommend if anything at all ?

Thanks in advance.
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Polisher or not, that is the question ?

You're used to a "geared drive" machine, like I am. I added a cordless "Finisher" and miss the geared drive. I still have my 3401 but like cordless.

Keep this in mind when choosing your next machine.

3. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi John, i wouldn't say i was used to it yet, not used it that often lol, but its a bit too much for me for our cars that dont need a full on work over, maybe a one step at the most. I was thinking maybe a smaller machine that I could just take out and use that maybe would be a bit lighter to use. I dont really want to go to the expense of the Finisher though. So thought, do I get something light like the Duetto/EX605 to compliment the PXE, or get a XFE 3" corded to maybe do the whole car and compliment the XCE. I suspect the XFE 3" may be a slightly better option as it would be able to do most of the small areas whereas the Duetto wont really be able to do any more than the XCE (5" BP for both). The question then is, do I really need the XFE 3" corded if I already have the PXE 80, What will it give me over the PXE ? I hate these dilemmas.
    I'm not that clued up with them, so thought I would get some objective responses on here from more experienced detailers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post
    do I really need the XFE 3" corded if I already have the PXE 80, What will it give me over the PXE ? I hate these dilemmas.
    I'm not that clued up with them, so thought I would get some objective responses on here from more experienced detailers.
    I also have a PXE and have not utilized the 3" with the 3M or 12M stroke much. I actually shaved down a 3" packing plate to 2" to use that size buff.

Sounds like you'd be duplicating an existing machine. I don't use small pads all that much vs the 6-7" pads

6. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My two most used polishers because I hate cords are the Flex XCE 8-125 and PXE 80. I use the XCE 8-125 with 5” pads usually over 6” and the PXE 80 with 2” (APS 2” backing plate) and 3” backing plates. I find the PXE 80 plenty powerful to sling 3” pads but don’t think anything bigger would correct well. But by far my most used polisher is the XCE 8-125. I also have the Flex Cordless Finisher but it rarely comes out. I also bought the Rupes Nano with a Black Friday sale but haven’t yet used it enough to figure out how it will be used most yet.

8. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    PXE 80 with 2” (APS 2” backing plate) .
    Nice backing place, I have an APS extension. Now I need their 2" backing plate!!!

10. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post
    Hi folks, I hope you are all keeping well?

I need your recommendations on my next polisher. I currently have a Flex PXE 80 and a Flex XCE 10-8 corded.
    If you were to buy another polisher to compliment these 2, what would you buy ? Doesnt need to be a Flex.
    I was at first thinking of the Flex XFE 3" as I thought the PXE80 I have may not be powerful enough to do the slightly larger areas and in turn could be used to do the whole car as the 3" Rupes pads I use have a 4" face. That in turn saves me getting out the XCE. I like the XCE and its great, but it can be a bit of a workout for me sometimes, and our cars are small to average in size ( VW Polo and Audi A3). or would something like the Shinemate EX605 or Rupes Duetto be better to compliment the PXE instead, being lighter than the XCE I have, albeit it will have a 5" backing pad on it, the same as the XCE - So essentially I would be using the same Rupes DA pads on it that inturn have a 6" face. What would you recommend if anything at all ?

Thanks in advance.
    Nick
    From what i’ve read the PXE will be fine for 3” work. With your comments on the gear driven flex i would look into a full size non gear driven polisher. A 15mm would still work fast but not be so taximg on the body.

My Griots g15 has been perfect and I feel no need for gear driven as i don’t need to churn my work out as if i was doing this for pay. Love the smooth easy ride of a long throw.

Look into the Flex finisher if you wanna stay same brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PXE should handle the 3" pads.

You may not really need anything else.

I'd go with the Flex XFE15, or the Duetto.

I have the Rupes Nano, Mini, Duetto, and 21, as well as a flex 3401.

The Duetto is the one I reach for most (after the original Porter Cable 7424) out of all of them. For everything from extreme cutting to final finishing.

I have been considering selling off the Rupes stuff for Flex, but I'm not a fan of the rotary chassis on most of the pro tools. The Duetto gives me that nice, nimble, compact tool that I find more comfortable.

14. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I run the Flex PXE 80 with 3” pads most and feel it has plenty of power. It has more power than the Flex XFE 15 (Cordlesa Finisher) when pushing 5 or 6” pads, at least that’s what it feels like to me. The PXE 80 is a workhorse too. Not gear driven obviously but it can correct.

16. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post