autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does everyone really need a $100+ DA buffer?

I got a the cheapest Torq originally, and I hated it. So I swapped for a G6, and I love it. I think a good tool makes all the difference, and I’m a total novice. I would not cheap out on the buffer. If you think about it, the 60 or 80 more you spend on the buffer is pretty minor compared to how much you spend on compounds, polishes, pads, brush, towels, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No matter which one you buy..... your rotator cuff will be happy for years to come!

Post Thanks / Like

GG6 is a good buy-cheap too for the result you'll get from using it.

Plus you'll need pads-get 6 maybe 8 for polishing and 1 for wax or sealant. You'll be set.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    I got a the cheapest Torq originally, and I hated it. So I swapped for a G6, and I love it. I think a good tool makes all the difference, and I’m a total novice. I would not cheap out on the buffer. If you think about it, the 60 or 80 more you spend on the buffer is pretty minor compared to how much you spend on compounds, polishes, pads, brush, towels, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Totally agree.

I learned many decades ago to not go the cheap route on tools.

There are certain times when you can spend less. e.g: A guy with a 1/4 acre lawn doesn't need a 54" zero-turn mower.

But, the one he buys should not be the $109 one from Amazon. That one will fail in short order, and then he will (hopefully) get smart and buy the $239 model he should have bought in the first place.

Being "thrifty" the first time actually caused frustration, and an extra $109 for the privilege of learning the lesson.

Point being, if it is a machine you plan on having for years, don't cheap out and regret it later.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes Rsurfer, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s like tools you buy from Harbor Freight: they are okay for very occasional use but you probably shouldn’t rely on them if you plan on needing them for use every day.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Paul. If I could talk to myself back when I started, I would've spent the money on the Zentool 21mm I have, then a good 3 inch mini polisher off the bat. Then again hind sight is always 20/20
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All good advice. My vote would go to the G9 - yes, only a 5 or 6” machine (not 3” capable), but you’ll be able to cover 95% of your projects and you can’t beat the customer service/warranty.

I’d add that the cordless Ryobi you mention is really just a wax spreader - I wouldn’t bank on doing any real correction with it. Better to put that $40 or whatever to a better machine or supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, in the last few years I've questioned whether I need a house to live in. I've kind of been intrigued by the nomad life style. I came to the conclusion that I would miss not being able to live in a permanent structure at least part time.

Not once have I questioned my need for the Flex 3401 (and actually other tools I own). It may sound like I'm being cute. But, I'm very serious.

We're all different.

Post Thanks / Like

Need vs want. If you think you'll use it, then it falls under the need category. Or if you think you might be able to use it for something that your wife wants done, it falls into the need category. A polisher/sander can be used on so many different type of home projects.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to get a DA, which I highly recommend if you're going to try any sort of correction, then I would say go with a good polisher. I am the poster child for doing it all wrong.

About 7 years ago, I decided I wanted to try polishing out my own vehicles. I was a little risk-averse and not sure I wanted to invest money into something I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy doing, or could even get the results I wanted. With that in mind, after a little research I ended up at my local Harbor Freight store buying their DA polisher. Between a sale and a coupon, it was well below $100. I also picked up a stash of pads for very cheap.

The quick lesson learned was the pads are total garbage which barely survived a job without falling apart. Picking up quality Lake Country pads solved the problem and saved me money in the long run. The longer lesson was the polisher itself. While the HF polisher is comparable to some from a power perspective, the ergonomics are pretty bad and it's pretty crude: the tool is heavy, loud, and isn't very smooth. By the time I finish any SUV, I'm worn out.

At the time I bought the polisher, I looked at other here like the GG6 and the Meguiars DA. I came very close to buying them but went cheap and never pulled the trigger. Years later I regret the decision. My polisher is still going, but I really want something better and realize I would have been much happier, and more comfortable, if I had gone with a good polisher from the start. Right now, I'm simply waiting for the new GG15 to be released, so I can pick it up and demote my HF DA to 3" small area and LSP application duty.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast