autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correction discouragement

First time posting, hello! Im in the process of making my detailing a full time job, im very comfortable with my quality of work in everything but paint correction. I have a very nice shop and generally use good quality tools and products. I have a beginner DA with the porter cable, but seeing little to no results in terms of correcting even minor scratchs. I have a new 2020 ram that is a personal vehicle with only a couple thousand miles that i have been trying to make near perfect to put a ceramic coating on, was working on a bed panel today trying many different style pads ( Foam cutting, uro fiber, wool, ect.) And some different compounds (HD cut, HD speed, some older wizards finish cut) and still have zero luck correcting scratchs so mild that the camera on my phone wouldn't pick up. Dont get me wrong the paint is definitely shinning and polished, but have zero luck in terms of correction. I have watched many videos and i believe to have a good technique, but still having no luck like the guys im watching on youtube. Im fixing to order a nice rupes 15 or 21 mk3 polisher and some of 3d's HD one polish to try and get better results, but im really getting aggravated at not seeing any results. Im running the PC on level 5 or 6 with around 10 pounds of pressure and have my backing plated marked and it is moving as it should be.

2. Thanks bean438 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Correction discouragement

I've already, pushed away from the keyboard for the day but after reading your post, I thought I would log back in and share a couple of things for you.

First - watch this video. I show EXACTLY how to use the PC.

Read through my troubleshooting guide here, see if you're making any of the common 6 mistakes.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

And anytime you're using the PC - turn that sucker up to the 6 speed setting. The PC is a great tool on speed 6 with the right backing plate and pads.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips

Also....

What size backing plate and what size pads are you a turning and a churning?

Mike Phillips

Friendly suggestion....

Anytime you're typing text, hit the [ENTER] key once in a while. I've been typing this in teh forum world for 18 years now. The human eyeballs have a difficult time TRACKING from the end of once sentence to the beginning of the next sentence after about 3-4 sentences. This is when talking about text on paper. Reading on a any type of display is worse.

So here's what happens, people are lazy. Even nice people, like the kind on a forum that will click on a thread to read the info and try to help. If you make it difficult for them to read it - they won't. It's easier just to >click away<.

Here's your post,

Quote Originally Posted by Jphipps View Post
    First time posting, hello! Im in the process of making my detailing a full time job, im very comfortable with my quality of work in everything but paint correction. I have a very nice shop and generally use good quality tools and products. I have a beginner DA with the porter cable, but seeing little to no results in terms of correcting even minor scratchs. I have a new 2020 ram that is a personal vehicle with only a couple thousand miles that i have been trying to make near perfect to put a ceramic coating on, was working on a bed panel today trying many different style pads ( Foam cutting, uro fiber, wool, ect.) And some different compounds (HD cut, HD speed, some older wizards finish cut) and still have zero luck correcting scratchs so mild that the camera on my phone wouldn't pick up. Dont get me wrong the paint is definitely shinning and polished, but have zero luck in terms of correction. I have watched many videos and i believe to have a good technique, but still having no luck like the guys im watching on youtube. Im fixing to order a nice rupes 15 or 21 mk3 polisher and some of 3d's HD one polish to try and get better results, but im really getting aggravated at not seeing any results. Im running the PC on level 5 or 6 with around 10 pounds of pressure and have my backing plated marked and it is moving as it should be.

Here's how I would format it.

First time posting,

hello! Im in the process of making my detailing a full time job, im very comfortable with my quality of work in everything but paint correction. I have a very nice shop and generally use good quality tools and products.

I have a beginner DA with the porter cable, but seeing little to no results in terms of correcting even minor scratchs.

I have a new 2020 ram that is a personal vehicle with only a couple thousand miles that i have been trying to make near perfect to put a ceramic coating on, was working on a bed panel today trying many different style pads ( Foam cutting, uro fiber, wool, ect.) And some different compounds (HD cut, HD speed, some older wizards finish cut) and still have zero luck correcting scratchs so mild that the camera on my phone wouldn't pick up.

Dont get me wrong the paint is definitely shinning and polished, but have zero luck in terms of correction.

I have watched many videos and i believe to have a good technique, but still having no luck like the guys im watching on youtube.

Im fixing to order a nice rupes 15 or 21 mk3 polisher and some of 3d's HD one polish to try and get better results, but im really getting aggravated at not seeing any results.

Im running the PC on level 5 or 6 with around 10 pounds of pressure and have my backing plated marked and it is moving as it should be.
    Again - just a friendly suggestion....

And I always add a happy face emoticon a few spaces after my last sentence to KICK UP the last sentence so that it's not packed against the bottom of the message box after it's posted.

Like this,

6. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And... because this is your first post....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Have no fear, you can do this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!

I'm using a 6" foam backing plate, with a thin megs foam spacer thing to add a little extra flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Use 5 inch plate & pads, (the thinner the pads, the better), speed 6 like Mike said, slow arm speed, and at least 6-8 section passes with the PC.

I own a PC, and while I love it for what it is, it is certainly not a FLEX.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike!

I'm using a 6" foam backing plate, with a thin megs foam spacer thing to add a little extra flex.
    If by the above you mean a 6” backing plate and 6.5” foam pads - these are way too big and too thick for this tool.

I wonder how many times each week I share the above?

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike!

watch the video. I show you the right size backing plate and pad for this tool.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw you mentioned using HD Speed. If your goal is to ceramic coat the car, do not do that. Speed has wax/sealant and it will prevent proper bonding of the coating. Use a regular compound/polish instead and make sure you go over any areas previously done with Speed.
    Bruno Soares

13. Likes PaulMys, dwaleke liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast