autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Groits Garage G9 favorite and Best Combination

Hi to the Community...

I have to be honest and say first that i am a newbie so beware me with my questions. I received this toy today and will like to be clear before i start to use it on my 3 cars (Nissan 350z 2004, Ford Explorer 2011 and Mustang GT 2019). To me, my paints are good as i always have maintained them manually.

Now where i want to be clear is with the Backing Plates and Pads combinations to start.

1. The Backing Plate that comes with the Polisher is 6". Can i use 6.5 and 6.0 or 5.5 with this backing plate?
    2. Can i use a 5" Backing Plate to use smaller Pads or vice-versa?
    3. What are your favorite combination and pads brand?

What will you recommend me for better combination?

Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Groits Garage G9 favorite and Best Combination

Welcome to AGO!

Congrats on the G9. You got a great machine.

The 6" backing plate is for 6.5" pads. Don't use the 5.5" pads with it. They won't extend past the BP enough, and would present a possible hazard if the edge of the rotating plate contacted the paint surface.

Use the 5" BP with 5.5" pads. etc....

As for the plates and pads themselves, you can never go wrong with a Griot's vented backing plate or their flat or Boss pads.

Lake Country flat pads are also extremely great pads.

Your new G9 will have no trouble churning any combo you may decide to use.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Welcome to AGO!

Congrats on the G9. You got a great machine.

The 6" backing plate is for 6.5" pads. Don't use the 5.5" pads with it. They won't extend past the BP enough, and would present a possible hazard if the edge of the rotating plate contacted the paint surface.

Use the 5" BP with 5.5" pads. etc....

As for the plates and pads themselves, you can never go wrong with a Griot's vented backing plate or their flat or Boss pads.

Lake Country flat pads are also extremely great pads.

Your new G9 will have no trouble churning any combo you may decide to use.
    Thanks @PaulMys... that's what i thought with the edge and wanted to be sure as the package that i bought was originally for the G6 which included pads and they send them anyway but with the G9. It also came with a BP 5" so i am good to go there for a test.

Thanks once again for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G9, and kept the 6" backing plate that came on the machine.

It has all the power you need to correct or polish paint with the 6" matching pads. The Boss pads are designed for this machine, so I would recommend using the Griots pads, and keeping it with the 6" plate.

With the less powerful GG6 orbital machine, I use the 5" backing plate with the 5" pads.
    If your paint is in good shape, just use an all-in-one polish, like HD Speed, and then use a high quality wax or a sio2 spray to finish the job.

I welcome you to the Forum. We all are here to help or get help.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post

It has all the power you need to correct or polish paint with the 6" matching pads. The Boss pads are designed for this machine, so I would recommend using the Griots pads, and keeping it with the 6" plate.

With the less powerful GG6 orbital machine, I use the 5" backing plate with the 5" pads.
    If your paint is in good shape, just use an all-in-one polish, like HD Speed, and then use a high quality wax or a sio2 spray to finish the job.

Bill
    Thanks @Bill. Yes that make sense to keep on tve same line. I have been reading on the Lake Country Pads which seems highly recommended and i was almost decided on them but will take your ascuas and check the Boss line.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill
    Thanks @Bill... That make sense to stay with the same line of products. I have been reading and was almost decided to go with the highly recommended Lake Country Pads but will rearrange my thoughts.

Regarding the advise of the All in One Polish i had in mine to start with only the WAX to see how it goes. What you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Bill
    Thanks @Bill for the advise. It makes sense to stay with the same line of products as i was almost decided to go with another brand LSC. Also had in mind to only use to WAX to check the results first.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have just purchased and started using the G9 and very, very happy with it. My first job I am tackling is AIO on our 35' 5th wheel, so I have stuck with the 6" backing plate supplied with GG 6.5' pads and this combo has been working well for me and for this job is my preferred choice considering the amount of real estate I have to work on. When I get to my truck and wife's car I have been considering going to the GG 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads, but the jury is still out on that decision yet. I have been using the standard GG pads as I had several from when I had the GG6 machine, but as they wear out, I believe I will replace them with GG Boss pads. Lake Country also makes very good pads, but if you consider going to Lake Country you should go with their backing plates as well as the hooks on the velcro can vary between manufacturers and can affect the ability to hold the pads in place.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    I too have just purchased and started using the G9 and very, very happy with it. My first job I am tackling is AIO on our 35' 5th wheel, so I have stuck with the 6" backing plate supplied with GG 6.5' pads and this combo has been working well for me and for this job is my preferred choice considering the amount of real estate I have to work on. When I get to my truck and wife's car I have been considering going to the GG 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads, but the jury is still out on that decision yet. I have been using the standard GG pads as I had several from when I had the GG6 machine, but as they wear out, I believe I will replace them with GG Boss pads. Lake Country also makes very good pads, but if you consider going to Lake Country you should go with their backing plates as well as the hooks on the velcro can vary between manufacturers and can affect the ability to hold the pads in place.
    Thanks for the tip. What AIO are you using?

12. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill
    Thanks @Bill. Yes that makes sense to stay with the same line. I will give the HD Speed a try as i have read good reviews on them. Just to be safe, should i clay before or just do a test with the AIO to see the results?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast