autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm back...with MORE POWER

Several years back I bought a black truck. At the time I had no idea about polishing and it wasn't until the dealer gloss wore off that I realized how bad swirls and scratches were on black paint. That started the bug for me. I ended up with a PC7424 and spent many hours a week cleaning and keeping my truck pristine....

Then my kid was born. Priorities changed and I ended up trading the black truck for a silver one so I couldn't see the swirls as much.... priorities were the kid and all that stuff. Plus I needed more room for the new addition....

Anyhow, I've been getting back into detailing more and more lately and was off work this week so a full correction and ceramic coating was in order.... All was going well and I had spent around 10 hours washing, claying, pulled the wheels for a serious cleaning and sealing etc.

Then time for polishing. Pulled out the old PC. Throw on some polish. First pass and the foam backing plate exploded leaving me in a poor situation. Spent hours hunting for a new backing plate and no one in town sells them. I needed my truck to be done before the weekend so I went on our local buy and sell hunting for anything to help to get the job done. Turns out there was a Flex 3401 listed used for an ok price.

Met the guy early this morning and it was mint. Looked new. Been running this thing for a few hours and I feel like a beginner all over again. This thing takes some serious concentration to run. It's walking a little on me so I know I have to work on my technique.

What machine. I wish I had bought one back when I had the black truck....

Anyhow here she is....

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

2. Likes John U, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: I'm back...with MORE POWER

Congratulations on the new BEAST!

I mentioned in the Live Detailing Class we did yesterday that I could only think of 3 times that I saw a FLEX 3401 being sold or bought from someone selling one. Make it 4 times.

Most people never sell their BEASTS and when they do - they end up regretting it.

4. Likes DeadlySheds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The PCXP7424 will be leaving me I think!

Its a very niche product where I live and I was shocked to see it for sale. And he knew the value of it because there were none in stock at any detail shops in my country and he was pretty firm on price.

I saved a couple hundred dollars over retail and I can't believe what an incredible machine this is.

Post Thanks / Like

A truly fine machine!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

The 3401 can and will walk (pull) on you. The best position would be, head at 10 o'clock and heel at 4 o'clock.

Get a 3" backing plate for the PC and use 4" pads for tight areas. You can even clean carpets with a carpet brush on that PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The 3401 can and will walk (pull) on you. The best position would be, head at 10 o'clock and heel at 4 o'clock.

Get a 3" backing plate for the PC and use 4" pads for tight areas. You can even clean carpets with a carpet brush on that PC.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm getting used to it now but I've never worked with 6.5" pads either so it's an adjustment.

I already ordered the 4- 3/8" backing plate for the Flex, and I have the Griots 3" DA for tight spots. I also have a Bissell machine for interior. I may keep the PC for now as a back up but the Flex is insane. It's got to be double as fast as the PC for correcting....and triple as hard on the arms.

I have no idea how anyone details full time. A full day on the polisher and I can't feel my hands.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySheds View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I'm getting used to it now but I've never worked with 6.5" pads either so it's an adjustment.

I already ordered the 4- 3/8" backing plate for the Flex, and I have the Griots 3" DA for tight spots. I also have a Bissell machine for interior. I may keep the PC for now as a back up but the Flex is insane. It's got to be double as fast as the PC for correcting....and triple as hard on the arms.

I have no idea how anyone details full time. A full day on the polisher and I can't feel my hands.

Do you have the old Griot 3"? Which I consider worthless other than spreading wax or wet sanding. The newer G8 seems to be a much better mini machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Do you have the old Griot 3"? Which I consider worthless other than spreading wax or wet sanding. The newer G8 seems to be a much better mini machine.
    Yep. That's the one. It's an old one.... I find it fine for tight spots for the playing around that I do...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. That's the one. It's an old one.... I find it fine for tight spots for the playing around that I do...

LOL, I see the mark on the backing plate. Does it ever spin with any kind of pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

works great with the 2" backing plate and pads. mine has been dedicated to that set-up and IMO,
    it suits it the best in that format...

Griot's Garage BOSS 2 Inch Orbital Conversion Kit

Griot's Garage BOSS Air 2 Inch Backing Plate

Griot's Garage BOSS Air 2 inch Backing Plate can also be used with the 3 inch Griots Garage Random Orbital Polisher and can help you get into tight spaces like bumpers, trim and complex body panels for an all over perfect paint job. The balanced aluminum hub provides a long service life and smooth operation.

here's an older video of the GG3 with the 2" backing plate & pad set-up to clean up these weathered tail lights...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast