autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name Brand DA vs. Cheap DA?

So I have been detailing for a while with a cheap, $55 DA polisher and get great results with it. However I know that for the most part, you get what you pay for when it comes to tools. My 2 questions are:
    Is there a huge difference between cheap DA and name brand?
    Also, does a long throw DA save you time during a paint correction?

I am asking these because I have never used any other DA aside from my cheap one.

TIA,
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Name Brand DA vs. Cheap DA?

If you're just doing your own car, and the cheap DA gives you great results, I'd stick with it.

Many guys have and love the HF polisher.

Where the name brand kicks in is with a lifetime warranty (Griot's) and/or a reputation for being bulletproof (Porter Cable).

As for the long throws, the answer is "Yes". They will save a bunch of time due to their more aggressive action.

But, the question you have to ask yourself is: Is the time savings worth a $450 machine?

If you were detailing for money, the answer would be simple. But if you are a hobbyist, you have to weigh the cost/needs.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes WaxMaster1, dlc95, KBsToy, Paul A. liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I detail on weekends only as I have a full time job during the week (which is the main reason I have not invested in a long throw). I do a lot of Motorhomes and RVs, mostly wash and wax.....paint correction not so often.

Best regards,
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BADetailing View Post
    I detail on weekends only as I have a full time job during the week (which is the main reason I have not invested in a long throw). I do a lot of Motorhomes and RVs, mostly wash and wax.....paint correction not so often.

Best regards,
    Ed
    With that being the case, I suggest reading about different types of polishers here. There is a ton of info here. You can decide if what you have suits your needs or if you would like to upgrade.

I will say if you upgrade from the HF DA machine to a similar 8mm throw DA polisher you will not see that much of a noticeable difference. If you step up to a 15 or 21mm long throw polisher, a forced rotation DA or a rotary then you will see a difference.
    Jim

6. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will do more research on them, I dont have the HF one, I have a similar one that sells under the name Hyatt (should be almost the same as the HF). Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Griots GG6 and call it a day. It's a workhorse and has a lifetime warranty and will out work and outlast a cheap hf da any day.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes Rsurfer, dlc95, Paul A., PaulMys, VISITOR and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You say you get great results with your hyet.... if you don’t mind how it feels (ergonomics, vibrations) run it till the wheels fall off. Agree with above post and if you upgrade to another 8mm won’t see a huge difference in time savings and if you are getting great Ursula’s now you probably see better results.

Maybe add a 21mm or 15mm to your arsenal to increase your time. Use the new long throw on big flat panels and your 8mm on curves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There`s Anistool on ebay that is selling polishers at a reasonable prices and yes they`re made in China. Again as stated above if your a twice a year polisher the cheaper Da`s will work for you. Professional use the Rupes , Flex and Griots are what you need.

If your like myself and a good friend of mine on here we have gone down that dark hole on polishers

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting question. I freely admit to owning a HF polisher which has served me well in maintaining my family fleet for nearly 8 years now with not a single problem. However, looking back I wonder if I should have gone with the Griots. The ergonomics look to be a bit better, and I wonder if it runs any smoother/quieter than the HF I currently own.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher is a great choice for an inexpensive DA Polisher.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

14. Likes VISITOR liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast