autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this Ring Inspection light as good as proper swirl finder lights?

OK I have 2 of these LED inspection lamps
    RIL3600HP | MAGflex Twist LED Inspection Lamp | Inspection Lighting

My car has very few light swirl marks.
    IMO its almost impossible to see them in the daylight, but we have a halogen securuty light high up on the wall beside my driveway ... that picks them up nicely! But being fixed arent good for correction work ergo cant see the vertical sides etc.

I wondered are these extremely expensive dedicated swirl finders ( like the 3M Sunray) a lot better than these? And are the real one LED based?

Looking for something cheap, that could highlight these minor swirls in daylight. I.e. when I work on it.

To highlight a swirl is it better hold the lamp very close or as far away as possible ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this Ring Inspection light as good as proper swirl finder lights?

I have several lights purchased over time and honestly the best one for showing swirls in a hand-held manner is a fairly bright fore-head lamp I got at Lowes. I also have the specilized Rupes Pen light and it works but as I work, the one on my forehead works better. Hold it about 18-24 inches away and it will light up a car. Here's an example from recently. Another good one showing a B-Pillar just holding the light in my hand.

The ones I use daily are also from Lowes I run 2 and they are awesome at lighting up sides of vehicles and light enough that if you need to pick one up to inspect a hood or roof it's easy. Same car as my other example only using both work lights on the floor One more using both.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I have several lights purchased over time and honestly the best one for showing swirls in a hand-held manner is a fairly bright fore-head lamp I got at Lowes. I also have the specilized Rupes Pen light and it works but as I work, the one on my forehead works better. Hold it about 18-24 inches away and it will light up a car. Here's an example from recently. Another good one showing a B-Pillar just holding the light in my hand.

The ones I use daily are also from Lowes I run 2 and they are awesome at lighting up sides of vehicles and light enough that if you need to pick one up to inspect a hood or roof it's easy. Same car as my other example only using both work lights on the floor One more using both.
    Much appreciated your detailed and very useful advice.

4. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you say "Fairly Bright" - any idea on how many Lumens? Looks like they offer anywhere from 100 to 600? Also any idea on particular brand?

that might help to narrow down general options to get a close ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget CRI plays a part, the higher the CRI (color rendering index...I think) the closer to actual sunlight the color. Higher lumens is not always better. I as well have a collection of lights from many off the shelf places but non really do better then the scangrip.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grovlet View Post
    When you say "Fairly Bright" - any idea on how many Lumens? Looks like they offer anywhere from 100 to 600? Also any idea on particular brand?

that might help to narrow down general options to get a close ideal.
    The headband one I have is 650 lumens. I found the same one at Advanced Auto Parts yesterday too. Was like $40. Works great for interior detailing too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The headband one I have is 650 lumens. I found the same one at Advanced Auto Parts yesterday too. Was like $40. Works great for interior detailing too.
    Very jealous of your choices in the USA ..
    how come only the Chinese seems to be able to freight stuff cheaply into the UK?

personally I would much rather buy American as long as you went Metric lol!

9. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Very jealous of your choices in the USA ..
    how come only the Chinese seems to be able to freight stuff cheaply into the UK?

personally I would much rather buy American as long as you went Metric lol!
    I wouldn’t trade my Chinese made Cree LED headlamp for anything. I paid $7 bucks shipped, it takes two 18650 rechargeable batteries [which I’ve got plenty spares on hand], claims to be 1800 lumens and shines so bright I can zoom in and see more than 2 blocks away. It’s lasted me 2+ yrs. and still going strong.Is this Ring Inspection light as good as proper swirl finder lights?

I’ve seen some of the made in USA headlights that cost about 5x the price and come nowhere near the quality and performance of this headlight.Is this Ring Inspection light as good as proper swirl finder lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Any point source light is better as a swirl finder than no light at all and just using diffuse overhead lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bright is a problem for me. I need to get off the brightest settings or I can't see anything. High CRI seems to help. The lights in the parking lot of my grocery store show eveything. Every little defect shows up. These are dim and must have terrible CRI. So I'm not sure what's best.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast