autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot 6 or Maxshine 15mm

If I am not mistaken, Maxshine is the actual manufacturer for Griot's polishers and they also offer a lifetime warranty on their polishers just like Griot's. Just some food for thought

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Maxshine is the actual manufacturer for Griot's polishers and they also offer a lifetime warranty on their polishers just like Griot's. Just some food for thought
    GG has their polishers made to their specs and that includes NSK bearings (and most likely other certain internals/parts) among other things. MS may offer a LT warranty but who knows how responsive/quickly they handle issues, have immediate tech support, and (the polisher itself) so forth. when you buy a GG product, you buy with confidence. IMO, customer service (we've read the horror stories on here about other companies, reminds me of below) is just as important as the product themselves...

Post Thanks / Like

Griot 6 or Maxshine 15mm

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    Probably - who knows for sure? They're going to do their best to obfuscate who makes the thing. Nobody makes their own polishers that was a detailing supply company first. They are all just copying someone else's design and farming the manufacturing out to China. If you want to read a very interesting book about Chinese manufacturing - read Poorly Made in China. If I recall - Mike Phillips may have recommended it on the forum at one point?

The GG6 is a more well rounded machine compared to any 15mm throw. It can do anything due to tons of power and the ability to change backing plates and pads size. It's the most powerful machine of its type - so it's a good choice. Of course, you can go to Harbor Freight and get a pretty similar machine for about $50 - maybe less that prolly has 90% of the power.

4. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Probably - who knows for sure? They're going to do their best to obfuscate who makes the thing. Nobody makes their own polishers that was a detailing supply company first. They are all just copying someone else's design and farming the manufacturing out to China.
    I'll send the link to this thread and your post to Jeff Brown and see if he'll chime in.

If you want to read a very interesting book about Chinese manufacturing - read Poorly Made in China. If I recall - Mike Phillips may have recommended it on the forum at one point?
    Nope. Someone on this forum, probably 4-5 years ago recommended the book and I said I would look into it. (I never did), but I've never recommended it. I have recommended books like The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

The GG6 is a more well rounded machine compared to any 15mm throw. It can do anything due to tons of power and the ability to change backing plates and pads size. It's the most powerful machine of its type - so it's a good choice. Of course, you can go to Harbor Freight and get a pretty similar machine for about $50 - maybe less that prolly has 90% of the power.

And if you go to Harbor Freight, ask them where their car detailing forum is to get help with their polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots 6inch with 5" backing plate...I got this for my grandson to use but know he is going into Air Force Pap has confiscated it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyb33r View Post
    I have been reading this forum for a month now and finally decided to post. I want to buy my first polisher and didnt know which one would be best. I see a lot of people really like the Griot 6 but the maxshine 15mm is starting to get good reviews as well. Thoughts on what I should get? Thanks for your help!
    I would go the Griots model for your first DA polisher. I listen to the videos this past spring and went the Harbor Freight route recommended by Dallas Paint (for the low cost only and to see IF I enjoyed using a DA) . I just this past month bought the Griots G6 model (and the G3) and started using it over the HF-cheaper unit. I desire the long throw but not for the majority of my cars, they do not require the long throw. Price on the Maxshine is outstanding bargain but for the long term Griots takes care of their customer base.

Once you have that you can do most all vehicles and then can add the 15mm of your choice or perhaps the forced rotation units.

And by the way, I am having fun in my garage too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'll send the link to this thread and your post to Jeff Brown and see if he'll chime in.

Nope. Someone on this forum, probably 4-5 years ago recommended the book and I said I would look into it. (I never did), but I've never recommended it. I have recommended books like The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

And if you go to Harbor Freight, ask them where their car detailing forum is to get help with their polisher.

Someone on this forum recommended the book - thought it may have been you - but obviously not. Anyway, it's a very interesting book. The jist is how vendors who contract with Chinese manufacturers to build a product may not always get the identical product they designed and contracted to have built. Component substitutions can be made and specifications can be changed without the vendor whose name is on the sticker being made aware. I'd recommend anyone to read it, since so much of what we buy today in the U.S. is made in China.

And my guess would be if you asked anyone in the know about resources on how to use a HF machine they would likely send you to one of the numerous threads here on AGO.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

I would go the Griots model for your first DA polisher. I listen to the videos this past spring and went the Harbor Freight route recommended by Dallas Paint (for the low cost only and to see IF I enjoyed using a DA) .

I just this past month bought the Griots G6 model (and the G3) and started using it over the HF-cheaper unit.

And by the way, I am having fun in my garage too!

Thanks for chiming in Kirby, it was a real pleasure working with you at the recent Roadshow Class at Griot's Garage in Tacoma, Washington.

Pictures & Comments - Griot's Garage Roadshow Class - 2018

One thing I notice about the people that pay for and take any class I teach is they all tend to be very high caliber people. This is reflected in how they post via social media, be it YouTube, FB or this forum.

I for one really appreciate having you as a member of this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is why you need a standard 8MM DA and of course having a smaller unit works great in tandem. Doing this with a long throw is not my first choice.

Most autos today are going to smaller and tighter curves and small body sections, these work well on the 3-inch pad.
    Griot 6 or Maxshine 15mm-camryrear-jpg

Then moving up you have the flat surfaces as in the trunk but not as large as the door panels or fenders:
    Griot 6 or Maxshine 15mm-camrytrunklid-jpg

So I took the plunge for both Griot's entry level polishers, and AG has some great kits for any beginner!
    Griot 6 or Maxshine 15mm-buygriotpolishers-jpg

This is why I choose the route with the dual machines rather than the large throw models. And do consider the Roadshow series if you have the time and funds, it makes the learning process fun and you do meet some interesting people!

11. Likes VISITOR, dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me tell you about Griots customer service. I purchased a 6" from them in 2007. I have used it mercilessly for these 11 years, and the machine never even hiccupped. I have other machines, but this is my favorite.

I called Griots and asked about a 5" backing plate for this older style machine as the original one was worn out. They looked up my order number, and then said to send the machine back to them.

They sent me a new and latest generation machine AT NO CHARGE! Where else can you get that type of customer loyalty.

Bill

13. Likes Goonie75, custmsprty, dlc95, VISITOR, KBsToy and 2 others liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12