autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Cant find a 3” backing Pad for the Makita PO6000C , could I use this bit of kit for the small areas?

Could I use this Makita right angle drill. 400 watts , variable speed 1 to 2450 rpm to polish the small difficult areas on a complex front bumper ( around fog lights etc. ) ?
    I would need to attach a 3” M14 backing plate via this M14 to 6mm drill bit attachment (see below)

-7d0ed16a-c0aa-4019-8db0-cea87b483597-jpg-826ff44d-a48a-45cf-894e-8b7bab1e5afd-jpg-84b37757-71bc-4217-bdfc-e6d08efa859f-jpg

The alternative is to buy a Flex 7-12 80 ... a bit outside my budget.

Sadly the Rupes and Flex 3” DA backing pads are secured by an M6 bolt, and my Makita PO6000C polisher uses a similar recess but an M8 bolt!

I assume cutting down a 6” Makita Backing pad would be very difficult?

Any other ideas or advice how to cut down the Makita 6” backing pad to 3” is welcomed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cant find a 3” backing Pad for the Makita PO6000C , could I use this bit of kit for the small areas?

If that Makita has enough power, sure. My little Milwaukee only has enough power to spread wax, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I do use the Griot's Garage 3" Random Orbital for those smaller areas. Coupled with their 3" BOSS pads, it gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cant find a 3” backing Pad for the Makita PO6000C , could I use this bit of kit for the small areas?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    If that Makita has enough power, sure. My little Milwaukee only has enough power to spread wax, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I do use the Griot's Garage 3" Random Orbital for those smaller areas. Coupled with their 3" BOSS pads, it gets the job done.
    Thanks
    I was trying to hold the budget, until I worked out if I was any good at this polishing lark.

I do have one concern, the drill has been used once before to drill some wood beams .. about 20 holes; and as it does suck air through the handle and then blasts (over 1500rpm) air out of the vents near the chuck. The downward facing one (designed to blow away drilling swarf) might spit any wood dust, if there was any left in the machine on the panel.

I think its pretty clean as is, and I cant see any dust per say on the grill vents or propeller vanes, but I would give it a real clean up, and blow out the vents with compressed air first before using it ..... just in case.

Such a shame Makita or the dealers won’t ship the 5” backing plate to the UK. That would have been useful on some of the big body panel curves.

I did look at that Girots garage 3” polisher circa $107 in the US , but they wanted £207 in the UK for it! Thats
    $268 ...
    and to be honest fair play at $107;but at $268, I would rather find a cheapo solution for the moment and get the Rupes 3” DA, or thr Flex 7-12 80 if one is spending that much. Welcome to rip off Britain.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know you were across the pond. Whoa. That is some crazy costs you guys have.

Definitely clean the heck out of that drill if you end up using it. And keep an eye on the panels when you're compounding/polishing to be safe.

I agree that 268 for the GG3 would be a bit much. At that cost, I'd save a bit more and get another machine. I don't know. It's nice to have the smaller orbit, though, as opposed to 15(?) for the Flex, or the Rupes, etc?

What about the DAS PROs or whatever they're called over there? Do they have something smallish? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Didn't know you were across the pond. Whoa. That is some crazy costs you guys have.

Definitely clean the heck out of that drill if you end up using it. And keep an eye on the panels when you're compounding/polishing to be safe.

I agree that 268 for the GG3 would be a bit much. At that cost, I'd save a bit more and get another machine. I don't know. It's nice to have the smaller orbit, though, as opposed to 15(?) for the Flex, or the Rupes, etc?

What about the DAS PROs or whatever they're called over there? Do they have something smallish? Just a thought.
    Must confess it does worry me if I can clean it perfectly. And I may only use it on a few small areas; once the main job is done, if its really neccessary.
    We do have the DAS 6’s but they are 5” diam pads so not much difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    We do have the DAS 6’s but they are 5” diam pads so not much difference.
    No worries! What matters is how YOU feel about it.

I see. I really thought they would have made a comparable unit. Sorry man

7. Thanks Submariner thanked for this post
    Likes Submariner liked this post