autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

A good Pad cleaning brush for convoluted 3M Foam Pads? Sold in UK

Just looking for one
    3M do a nice one but not sold in the UK.

One of those nice “Ebay Lovelies” is selling it delivered to the UK for £140!
    Thats nice of him ... blimey these just look like the quality of a nail brush found in a £ Store!

having never done this polishing lark before its hard to work out how strong/hard one wants the bristles to be. And I would rather not mince a £12 pad due to inexperiece.

but this Cleaning Brush tool seems to be a total rip off area!

anyone found any reasonable priced brushes, that do a decent “on the fly” clean off of a foam Pad?

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend this basic tire brush. I’ve never used the Tuff Shine Tire Brush but they look sort of similar. Based on the looks I would think the bristles on this 1 are a bit stiffer but it works very well as a pad cleaning brush. I used it for quite a while before I got the Orange pad conditioning brush.
    It’s now been demoted to scrubbing tires but I rarely use it. When new it also makes for 1 hell of a carpet art brush.

Just don’t get cute and try using it while the polisher is on... Only use this brush to clean the pads while the polisher is Off. Easy strokes in 1 direction while you manually spin the pad to clean all of it, you’ll quickly get the feel for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A good Pad cleaning brush for convoluted 3M Foam Pads? Sold in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I recommend this basic tire brush. I’ve never used the Tuff Shine Tire Brush but they look sort of similar. Based on the looks I would think the bristles on this 1 are a bit stiffer but it works very well as a pad cleaning brush. I used it for quite a while before I got the Orange pad conditioning brush.
    It’s now been demoted to scrubbing tires but I rarely use it. When new it also makes for 1 hell of a carpet art brush.

Just don’t get cute and try using it while the polisher is on... Only use this brush to clean the pads while the polisher is Off. Easy strokes in 1 direction while you manually spin the pad to clean all of it, you’ll quickly get the feel for it.
    Thanks
    That orange one looks like the 3M brush?

Glad you warned me how to use it , the 3 videos I saw all showed the guy with the polisher turned on :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Thanks
    That orange one looks like the 3M brush?

Glad you warned me how to use it , the 3 videos I saw all showed the guy with the polisher turned on :-/
    Yea, I don’t even use the 3M brush with the polisher turned on, it’s completely unnecessary and can easily become too aggressive. IMO you get much more precise cleaning with the polisher off.

5. Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I don’t even use the 3M brush with the polisher turned on, it’s completely unnecessary and can easily become too aggressive. IMO you get much more precise cleaning with the polisher off.
    thanks

Mike Phillips

I don't think there is a good brush for cleaning convoluted pads.

Just take your time with a nylon pad cleaning brush or even a tooth brush.

:0

Post Thanks / Like

I use the orange one. I'm really light with it on flat, hex, or waffle face foams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I don't think there is a good brush for cleaning convoluted pads.

Just take your time with a nylon pad cleaning brush or even a tooth brush.

:0
    Thanks
    I did see somewhere a recommendation to just use a course little towel, or a microfibre cloth as an on the fly pad cleaner, would that work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Thanks
    I did see somewhere a recommendation to just use a course little towel, or a microfibre cloth as an on the fly pad cleaner, would that work?
    IME a tightly folded cotton terry hand towel works good. When using a towel for cleaning on the fly I do turn the polisher on [at the same speed I’m polishing] and just hold the tight end of the towel over the pad and let it spin and clean onto the towel. I usually work extra clean and clean on the fly using the towel followed by the brush.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IME a tightly folded cotton terry hand towel works good. When using a towel for cleaning on the fly I do turn the polisher on [at the same speed I’m polishing] and just hold the tight end of the towel over the pad and let it spin and clean onto the towel. I usually work extra clean and clean on the fly using the towel followed by the brush.
    Thanks so much
    Useful tip.
    I feel this might work for me, as trying to recreate a Kevin Brown style with a primed pad, prizing water etc.

My only compressed air is off a Divers 300 Bar bottle! So thats tricky, very slightly opening the valve and running the mc at the same time. Full power would definitely blow a hole straight through the pad :-/ .

Just using my post op recuperation time investigating ... so ready to go in 3 weeks , hopefully, as the colder weather is drawing in