autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which polisher to add?

Not sure if this helps: I often use a rotary or the 3401 for my compounding step. I will then finish with a 15mm long throw DA. There are many 15mm long throw DA machines available. I just ordered the Flex 15mm long throw polisher, but there are many out there. Perhaps that is a process you are/would consider.
    Jim

2. Likes PaulMys, DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I see. Nothing replaces the Flex. I get that.

As far as backups, I own both the PC and GG6. I love them both for each of their capabilities.

Perfect machines for this hobbyist. Plus, the PC is a known workhorse. And the GG6 has a lifetime guarantee (as do all their machines).

Just my angle on this.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Not sure if this helps: I often use a rotary or the 3401 for my compounding step. I will then finish with a 15mm long throw DA. There are many 15mm long throw DA machines available. I just ordered the Flex 15mm long throw polisher, but there are many out there. Perhaps that is a process you are/would consider.
    Another opinion/angle. Excellent.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Think rotary, educate yourself and use common sense, you won't be sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I added a Rupes Mille and put a post about doing so in the Rupes Forum. Long story short, I hated investing in a new pad system but in the end, I now use my Mille and their pads more than my Flex and the Hybrid Force Pads. Faster at correcting, smoother and quieter. The Flex still comes out but it's not my main go-to for one-two step details.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I'd go with the GG6

Some paints don't always finish best with gear-driven orbital. For cars like this it's nice to also have a simple 8mm free spinning orbital to fall back on.

GG6 is a better machine for machine applying waxes and sealants also. It's not that you cannot do it with a BEAST it's just easier with a free spinning short stroke tool plus it's smaller in size and weighs a few pounds less.

You can also machine sand car paint with a GG6 but it's not a good idea to try this with gear-driven 8mm orbital. I have an article on this.

And the GG6 has a TON more usable power over the PC. Black & Decker could invest about 50 cents into improvements to their tool (on scale) and make a comparable tool but they won't so the GG6 is the winner.

FWIW

YMMV

9. Thanks LAKings22, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, LAKings22, VISITOR, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I added a Rupes Mille and put a post about doing so in the Rupes Forum. Long story short, I hated investing in a new pad system but in the end, I now use my Mille and their pads more than my Flex and the Hybrid Force Pads. Faster at correcting, smoother and quieter. The Flex still comes out but it's not my main go-to for one-two step details.
    Do you use the Rupes wool pads with the Mille?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

My take on this question was to have 1 of each of the machine "actions" i.e. a rotary (obviously a direct drive workhorse), a Flex 3401 (direct drive random orbital) and a PC (free spin random orbital). I like the versatility of having a wide use of machines. Plus I use many of my pads on more than one machine for general inventory reduction although I use LC Thin Pros only on my PC. I like to keep that simple but effective.

I have never killed a machine mid job but it is still a consideration.

I will be getting a Rupes machine in the near future just to add a little finesse to the machine lineup.

I have always said and still maintain that if my old PC ever dies I will replace it with a Griots.

Now, in thinking more on your point of a mid job need to replace an inoperative machine, I would probably go with the Griots unit to finish the job. You have a direct drive Beast (that you will no doubt troubleshoot and fix) and will have the Griots to supplement that if and when needed.

12. Thanks LAKings22 thanked for this post
    Likes LAKings22 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12