autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which 3” Backing Plates would fit on a Makita PO 5000C / 6000C

Just wondered if anyone has found any 75mm backing pads with an 8mm bolt that would fit my machine.

I am hoping the Flex XFE 7-12 80s might fit?

any other suggestions?

I was told that maybe the Rupes LHR75 Mini plate might fit, but I think that takes a 6mm bolt?

Alternatively could one cut down a 6” plate on a lathe? , but that looks pretty problematic to me.
    Not to mention getting rid of all the plastic swarf one might find entrapped in the hook and loop material .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which 3” Backing Plates would fit on a Makita PO 5000C / 6000C

The LHR75 plate could be bored out to fit the larger bolt but it’s a really light backing plate. I did this and put it on a Duetto and the vibration was horrible.

You may have the same problem if you shave a stock one down.

You may have to worry about spacing/clearance issues with another companies BP also.

I did see this Flex one looking around and it appears similar, possibly.

FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate

Mike Phillips

Years ago I coined the word/term

Tippy

To describe the feel of a large tool with a tiny backing plate and pad under it and then buffing horizontal panels. Not so bad when buffing vertical panels BECAUSE at this point you are forced to support the weight of the tool anyways AND then push the tool towards the panel.

To me, to put a 3" backing plate on a large tool like the Makita PO5000C would definitely make it tippy.

I can check and see if the backing plate on a FLEX 3" Mini Polisher will attatch to the Makita?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all the respondees.
    Much appreciated. My tardy replies are not lack of interest. But because I just had a pretty tricky back operation.
    And although prewarned it could be extremely painful for 10 to 20 days ... after 10 days of incessant pain that even oral morphine doesnt touch
    I have to pick my moments!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    The LHR75 plate could be bored out to fit the larger bolt but it’s a really light backing plate. I did this and put it on a Duetto and the vibration was horrible.

You may have the same problem if you shave a stock one down.

You may have to worry about spacing/clearance issues with another companies BP also.

I did see this Flex one looking around and it appears similar, possibly.

FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate
    Thanks for the info.
    I looked at the LHR as a possible bore out job.
    But if the hole is in anything like the Makita’s, which looks like spring steel .. that looks very problematic

I agree cutting down composite pads also looks like it could give problems.

The Flex pad you linked looks hopeful. Odd its not red ... as it says its a direct replacement .
    I was looking at the red pad Order no. 454.141.
    However I noticed there seem to be a few members with problems on these pads disintegrating!
    Maybe the one you linked which is black is of upgraded quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Tippy
    To describe the feel of a large tool with a tiny backing plate and pad under it and then buffing horizontal panels. Not so bad when buffing vertical panels BECAUSE at this point you are forced to support the weight of the tool anyways AND then push the tool towards the panel.
    To me, to put a 3" backing plate on a large tool like the Makita PO5000C would definitely make it tippy.

I can check and see if the backing plate on a FLEX 3" Mini Polisher will attatch to the Makita?

I too wondered about the “tippy” effect. But hope I can cope with it. The majority of the car will be done using the 6” and if I can get one the 5” pads. This is really just for around the front bumper, Led running / fog lamps and air intake grill things.
    The only alternative would be to buy a Flex XFE 7-12 80 ..... and thats hard to justify along with a Makita for maintaining one car.

I would be extremely grateful if you could check out tne xfe 7-12 80 backi g pas on a PO5000C .
    It would be good to know if the securing bolt is 8mm.

I would also like to know what is the direction of rotation on this 7-12 80?
    I ask becuase the centre on the Makita looks like a spring washer. The relevance being I noticed on the Makita the direction is counter clockwise (viewed from the top, say as it is used).
    I am wondering if Makita used a sort of spring steel disc where the bolt clamps up ... to counteract the rotation effect undoing this bolt.

Last thing one needs is the pad and the bolt flying off as you perfect the bonnet!
    Much appreciated Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Tippy

Hi Mike
    Did you have any luck fitting the Flex 3” mini to the Makita?
    Regards
    Peter

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Hi Mike

Did you have any luck fitting the Flex 3” mini to the Makita?

Regards
    Peter
    Yes. The 3" backing plate that comes with the FLEX 3" Mini Polisher will fit onto the Makita PO500C and the bolt that holds the Makita backing plate will also hold on the FLEX backing Plate.

I also check the RUPES 3" backing plate for the RUPES Mini - it will fit on the Makita PO5000C but the center hole on the backing plate is too small for the Makita bolt to fit through, so you would have to waller her out.

I don't believe we sell spare backing plates for the FLEX but we do for the RUPES

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. The 3" backing plate that comes with the FLEX 3" Mini Polisher will fit onto the Makita PO500C and the bolt that holds the Makita backing plate will also hold on the FLEX backing Plate.

I also check the RUPES 3" backing plate for the RUPES Mini - it will fit on the Makita PO5000C but the center hole on the backing plate is too small for the Makita bolt to fit through, so you would have to waller her out.

I don't believe we sell spare backing plates for the FLEX but we do for the RUPES

Thanks Mike you are a Star!
    when you say the Flex mini polisher. I assume you mean the DA XFE 7-12 80 .

Other Question, if I find it too tippy or the Makita body is too big, to get access .
    Do you think the PE 8 -4 80 being a Rotary is a little dangerous for Newbie ? I was just a little concerned that its min speed was 1,300 rpm ( but I appreciate it is a very small pad.).

The attraction for me, over the XFE 7-12 80 is
    a) having no throw, it might be easier to get around and tight up to grills and running lights and b) yes its a fair bit cheaper.

But if you think its a lot more dangerous then I woukd take your advice.

Note I will only be doing final fine finishing no compounding.

Post Thanks / Like

I can confirm that the Flex 3” backing plate will fit. I do believe it will be tippy.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast