autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Just got my Makita PO6000C 6” Polisher ... and a few questions ...

Lots of great questions....

If it were me?

I would put it in the gear-driven mode, attach a foam polishing pad and start polishing cars. As long as you're using GREAT abrasive technology only good is going to come from it....

I let my class use this tool and all the gear-driven tools here at Autogeek over the weekend, I'll post pictures today. All the cars came out looking AWESOME!

The tool works if you work it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Is the rubber seal that is just above the backing plate touching the backing plate?

That is why a washer gets it to rotate free from the rubber/plastic seal on the Rupes and longthrows polishers. It's designed to stop the pad from spinning when turning the polisher of. And it's made to not hinder the backing plate spinn when running too. It gets you a higher opm with the washer mod on. Not by very much but a noticeble difference.

Hope you get your 5" backing plate soon Peter.

/Tony
    That is precisely my point on the Makita, nothing touches the backing plate! So raising it with a washer would not make any difference.
    Hence my interest in this “fix” .... is he proposing inserting a washer somewhere else in the guts of the drive mechanism.? Surely not, over complexity and warranty issues would rule that out for me.

Thanks Tony, I have a good German source for the genuine 5” pad, at a fair price and a reasonable shipping fee, so I am just waiting on Makita UK to let me know if it will be available here i.e. with no International shipping .

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Lots of great questions....

If it were me?

I would put it in the gear-driven mode, attach a foam polishing pad and start polishing cars. As long as you're using GREAT abrasive technology only good is going to come from it....

I let my class use this tool and all the gear-driven tools here at Autogeek over the weekend, I'll post pictures today. All the cars came out looking AWESOME!

The tool works if you work it.

Hi Mike
    thanks thats pretty much the plan. Just waiting for the back to heal, and the 5” backing pads to arrive, as the four 3M blue ultrafina pads are too small for the 6” BP. But the Rupes 180mm white Ultra Fine Polishing pad fits the 6” BP nicely .
    pretty much got everything ready now, and thanks for your help ... the Rupes 3” fits perfectly with the custom low head 20mm allen key bolt.

I guess its now a question of trying various pads to see which suit this tool the best.
    if the 3M Ultrafina SE polish doesnt work out, I will get some Menerva 3800.

look forward to seeing those pictures, thats the beauty of this site ... you can actually see real world results ... and of course get the vital advice.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12