autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extension cords

Post Thanks / Like

Extension cords

I'm looking for a cord that has little-to-no "memory", i.e. it straightens out easily after having been coiled up tightly for some period of time. Many power tools have this kind of soft, flexible, rubber-like qualities, but I haven't been able to find it in extension cords. 14-16 gauge would be preferable and a 13 amp rating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extension cords

look at the flex cords

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bill walsh View Post
    look at the flex cords
    I just happened to look at that cord a few days ago. Quality doesn’t come cheap. A good extension cord may last 20-30 years or longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of the Flex cords. very high quality. It's 12 guage. It will definitely last 20 years or so.May be a little overkill for a polisher. I could see a 50' 12 guage cord being quite a pain using it for that. Your machine would definitely be getting full juice.

Since you're looking for a 14 or 16 guage and AG doesn't have any Home Depot would be your best bet. I've checked out their cords and they have what you want. They definitely aren't cheap!
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Costco at times carries these. Similar to the flex if not the same manufacturer that makes them for flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I got one of the Flex cords. very high quality. It's 12 guage. It will definitely last 20 years or so.May be a little overkill for a polisher. I could see a 50' 12 guage cord being quite a pain using it for that. Your machine would definitely be getting full juice.
    So are you saying that you have a Flex extension cord, but don’t use it to connect your polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Something like the Flex cords are exactly what I had in mind, but to my knowledge they can't be purchased separately from the machine. @ The Gus, I'll check out what they have at Costco, thanks. My project is to replace all the cords on my growing collection of polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So are you saying that you have a Flex extension cord, but don’t use it to connect your polisher?
    Yes, I actually run my portable air conditioner with it. The air conditioner draws far more juice than a polisher. I use it for other things as well. I don't know where you polish, but for me a 25' cord is plenty and you definitely don't need a12 guage cord. It all depends on your individual needs. If you're going to be polishing 50' away a 14 guage would probably work 12 guage certainly wouldn't hurt.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Yes, I actually run my portable air conditioner with it. The air conditioner draws far more juice than a polisher. I use it for other things as well. I don't know where you polish, but for me a 25' cord is plenty and you definitely don't need a12 guage cord. It all depends on your individual needs. If you're going to be polishing 50' away a 14 guage would probably work 12 guage certainly wouldn't hurt.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said.. I personally use a 14 gauge extension cord which I bought the same day I bought my 1st DA polisher a few years back. I made my decision based on this chart that’s inside the instruction manual for my HF DA.

I do have and very much need a 50’ cord. I use it for my vacuum, polisher, Metro Sidekick, etc. and if it was any shorter I wouldn’t be able to reach the end of my driveway where most of the things get done.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast