autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: Which one would you pick

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Makita PO5000C

3 9.38%
  • FLEX XC 3401

9 28.13%
  • Rupes BigFoot LHR15 MarkII

5 15.63%
  • RUPES BigFoot LK 900E Mille

6 18.75%
  • Other

14 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which polisher should I get?

Which polisher should I get?

I currently have an older 7424 PC, it has done well over the years but its time for a new one and downgrade this one to a brush DA for carpet and general cleaning. i do a few cars a year (friends and family), usually newer factory painted cars. I am too slow to profit from this so i do it for the tools, i charge just enough to cover expenses and eat dinner on.

i have been looking on this forum a lot and price really is not a big deal if its a huge improvement

first choice is
    Makita PO5000C 5” Dual Action Random Orbit

second choice is
    Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Third Choice is
    Rupes BigFoot LHR15 MarkII Random Orbital

Fourth Choice is
    RUPES BigFoot LK 900E Mille Gear Driven Polisher

Fifth choice is
    Other choices

Mike Phillips

Re: Which Polisher thread

Quote Originally Posted by Franko07 View Post

i do a few cars a year (friends and family), usually newer factory painted cars.

I am too slow to profit from this so i do it for the tools, i charge just enough to cover expenses and eat dinner on.

The Griot's Garage 6" ROP is basically an improved copy of the original Porter Cable design. It has a TON more power. You could continue to use any pads you already own and use with your current Porter Cable.

Get the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher. This one,

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

3. Likes acuRAS82, Kamakaz1961, JMak97008, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Which Polisher thread

Continued....

If you want more speed no matter what the shape of the body panel, (curves mostly but thin panels too), then go for one of the gear-driven orbitals.

Zero pad stalling with any gear-driven orbital = increased speed overall.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which polisher should I get?

to be honest after reading on this forum for a while i increased the speed on the PC from 2-3 to 5-6 and had tremendously better results. Ive got the itch to buy a new one to make it go a little faster over all than i was used to.

i had considered a Griots but really want something better.

i was really leaning towards the Makita, i can use pretty much the same process and some of the same pads i have already..

the Rupes i would likely need all new pads and polish to complete the Rupes process.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that you would be bound to the Rupes system if buying the Mille. It's comes with both the 6" and 5" backing plates so you would still be able to use the your old pads and polishes. And it's still a polisher that is gear-driven orbital. Sure if you start out fresh with polishing you would benefit from useing the Rupes system. But do you have experience and pads that are thin as the Mille pads are and good lubricated compound and polish. You will get by fine and get results. I would still invest in some of the Rupes Mille pads and definitely the yellow foam pad. You could invest in the deluxe kit and test it out and test against what you already have in your arsenal to evaluate what works for you.

The cars you work on are they most classic cars with round bodylines? As you said it was mostly repainted cars you do. If so a gear-driven orbital polisher would be a good fit. And if you feel like you have the technique to keep the pad spinning with your PC and want the smooth ride DA has. A Rupes 15mm mkII or a 21mm mkII polisher would be a great choice. With a free spinning DA the need of a mini polisher or a Rupes ibrid nano increase to get to the smaller parts on the cars. You could get a 3" backing plate kit to your PC and have a good 3" setup. And you can get a 5" backing plate to a 21mm mkII polisher too and get a the use of the Rupes 6" pads or other that fit the 5"backing plate. All comes down to what you think your technique fits and then what cars you most works on and the budget you have.

Maybe not a specific recommendation but it's much on what would be the good fit for you. So as much of information on what you will have out of the polisher the more specific recommendation you will get.

Post Thanks / Like

Gg 6"

Post Thanks / Like

Since you already have a PC.. purchase a griot HD 3in plate for your PC

As for new machine, anything will compliment what you have.

Makita PO5000C is my choice half the time now a days.

Other being my 21mm with my GG6 with HD 3in plate

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    Since you already have a PC.. purchase a griot HD 3in plate for your PC

As for new machine, anything will compliment what you have.

Makita PO5000C is my choice half the time now a days.

Other being my 21mm with my GG6 with HD 3in plate
    Exactly what I did with my PC.

And to the OP: You'd really be surprised at how much power the GG6 has over the PC. After trying out a friends GG6, I was blown away at the difference. And with me just doing my own 2 vehicles, it's all the machine I'll ever need IMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Exactly what I did with my PC.

And to the OP: You'd really be surprised at how much power the GG6 has over the PC. After trying out a friends GG6, I was blown away at the difference. And with me just doing my own 2 vehicles, it's all the machine I'll ever need IMO.
    after looking at the price of the gg6 i may buy it and the Makita P05000c with lake city pads unless someone has evidence that sways me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franko07 View Post
    after looking at the price of the gg6 i may buy it and the Makita P05000c with lake city pads unless someone has evidence that sways me.
    I've never tried the Makita, so I can't comment other than to say I have not read anything but good things about it from guys that have purchased one.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast