autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which MF towels should I buy?

I like the Gold Plush Jr's. They're good at everything.

2. Likes VISITOR, GEM65, DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Automoglow View Post
    I put the vinegar in the fabric softener spot
    I just looked at my machine and I don’t have a little spot for fabric softener. I do have a spot to put bleach in tho. You think that would dump in at the rinse cycle step? Or would that go in at the washing step once the water filled up?

Post Thanks / Like

What about those Downy balls?...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The bargain pack towels from Costco or BJs are great for cleaning grubby interiors, wheels, tires, wheel wells, headlights, grills and glass. The Rag Company towels are superb and don't let some negative Amazon reviews discourage you from purchasing them. They were probably posted by a bunch of yahoos that threw their microfiber towels together with their bath/dish towels on the permanent press cycle with fabric softener and hot water.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I’ve been detailing for a few years but I’m new here. Sorry if this is considered a hijack.. but i couldn’t figure out a way to post a new thread. Tried to find one as close as possible to my topic.

So I’m looking for some sorta pad/shield to place on my car when working on the engine etc to prevent scratches. Something that goes over the top/side of the fender while the hood is open so that’s i don’t scratch the car when I’m leaning into my engine bay.. also that way i could place some tools on this and not worry about scratching/marring. Do y’all just use a large mf towel or is there’s something more geared towards this?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janik perera View Post
    Hi I’ve been detailing for a few years but I’m new here. Sorry if this is considered a hijack.. but i couldn’t figure out a way to post a new thread. Tried to find one as close as possible to my topic.

So I’m looking for some sorta pad/shield to place on my car when working on the engine etc to prevent scratches. Something that goes over the top/side of the fender while the hood is open so that’s i don’t scratch the car when I’m leaning into my engine bay.. also that way i could place some tools on this and not worry about scratching/marring. Do y’all just use a large mf towel or is there’s something more geared towards this?

Thanks!
    You're talking about fender covers. They're quite common in the world of automotive repair. They generally vinyl on the outer side, and have fabric on the inner side to avoid scratching the paint. But as for how soft and safe they are, I'm sure a lot of people here would question that. We're all pretty careful of what we put in contact with the paint (eg. high quality MF towels and wash mitts). So perhaps someone here can recommend a high quality fender cover.

As for placing down tools, and this is something I'm guilty of, I'll share some advice my technician friend gave me: the engine bay is not a table. Use a tool cart. I'd like to get one eventually.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    You're talking about fender covers. They're quite common in the world of automotive repair. They generally vinyl on the outer side, and have fabric on the inner side to avoid scratching the paint. But as for how soft and safe they are, I'm sure a lot of people here would question that. We're all pretty careful of what we put in contact with the paint (eg. high quality MF towels and wash mitts). So perhaps someone here can recommend a high quality fender cover.

As for placing down tools, and this is something I'm guilty of, I'll share some advice my technician friend gave me: the engine bay is not a table. Use a tool cart. I'd like to get one eventually.
    Thanks so much for the recommendation. So far ive found the griots fender cover to be decent. Any other recommendations before i purchase?

Also, great point about the cart. I plan to invest in one eventually. The cover will Be mainly for my stubborn mechanic who is Old school and set in his ways ��he doesn’t understand jack about detailing ��

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this thread! I've been in need of good MF towels for quick detailing and waterless washes.

Based on many recommendations for The Rag Company, I will be giving this brand a spin later this week.

I've decided on the Eagle Edgeless 500 for my waterless washes. However, I am wondering if that would also be good for quick detail spray, or should I go with the 365's for that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFire72 View Post
    Thank you for this thread! I've been in need of good MF towels for quick detailing and waterless washes.

Based on many recommendations for The Rag Company, I will be giving this brand a spin later this week.

I've decided on the Eagle Edgeless 500 for my waterless washes. However, I am wondering if that would also be good for quick detail spray, or should I go with the 365's for that?

I’m in the minority on this - I hate the eagles for basically everything. I know some people use them and really enjoy them, but the few I have just sit in a tote on the very bottom because for me they’re horrible.

If the surface has any amount of moisture they grab and fibers get ripped out, which is -extremely- annoying and makes it take at least 3-4 times longer to go over a car with anything because I’m fighting a towel.

This also applies to the minx, which I’ve dedicated to just being rinseless wash towels.

My first impression of the creature edgeless was very poor, but I’ve since moved that to my #1 towel from the rag company for every task. Rinseless washing, spray wax, quick detailer, all of it.

If I had to give a revised list of towels (that I’ve tried) it would be: creature->spectrum->minx-> Eagles

The only reason the minx ends up higher on the list is because I found a use for it. The eagles just sit there.

I’ve heard the edgeless 300 and 365 are both great, and I’d like to try them at some point.

They could work great for you, they certainly do for other people. I also think it’s worth pointing out that unless you have supremely soft paint, a high GSM towel just feels cumbersome (anything above 400 imo, 300-350gsm feels perfect) to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I’m in the minority on this - I hate the eagles for basically everything. I know some people use them and really enjoy them, but the few I have just sit in a tote on the very bottom because for me they’re horrible.

If the surface has any amount of moisture they grab and fibers get ripped out, which is -extremely- annoying and makes it take at least 3-4 times longer to go over a car with anything because I’m fighting a towel.

This also applies to the minx, which I’ve dedicated to just being rinseless wash towels.

My first impression of the creature edgeless was very poor, but I’ve since moved that to my #1 towel from the rag company for every task. Rinseless washing, spray wax, quick detailer, all of it.

If I had to give a revised list of towels (that I’ve tried) it would be: creature->spectrum->minx-> Eagles

The only reason the minx ends up higher on the list is because I found a use for it. The eagles just sit there.

I’ve heard the edgeless 300 and 365 are both great, and I’d like to try them at some point.

They could work great for you, they certainly do for other people. I also think it’s worth pointing out that unless you have supremely soft paint, a high GSM towel just feels cumbersome (anything above 400 imo, 300-350gsm feels perfect) to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply!

I wasn't too sure with the GSM counts on using them for waterless washes and the like.

I hear you with the higher GSM, I have a some 800's and 920's, and they feel great, but are cumbersome. They are great for taking polish/wax off, and buffing. But yes, they are a handful, LOL!

I will revise my shopping and take a look at the Creature. Thanks again!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast