autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best wash mitt

Post Thanks / Like

Best wash mitt

Looking for thee best wash mitt for a 2 bucket. I have the basic chenille mitts but looking for the best for my personal vehicles.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best wash mitt

I don't know if there is a "best" chenille mitt. I've bought several over the years from multiple brands and multiple stores/sources. When comparing them side-by-by side, there differences were minimal at best, and some only differed by color.

Just make sure you get one that has soft, plush, MF piles and looks/feels to have quality construction and you should be fine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy
    I'm pretty sure I have them all, but my latest & greatest is : CarPro Wool Wash Mitt. I just used it two weeks ago for the first time. first I foamed my truck & then I used the two bucket method. you won't believe how gentle this mitt is. I felt no friction or drag when washing my truck. and the truck came clean, all that winter road film was removed. you'll need to shake it out after use & let it air dry. I'm looking forward to using it again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I wasn't happy with how you insert your hand in the mitt(a little small). but I made it work & it's worth the slight discomfort. It never slipped out of my hand so it's now my favorite to use. good luck
    hmardown

4. Likes ski2, Jeremy1976 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the Incredimitt by CarPro is the best. I have 6 of them that I use on my personal vehicles and for maintenance washes on some of my customers cars. They clean well, are soft, release dirt well and are very durable.

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Two comments...

The Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts that I show in "most" of my articles and that we sell on the AG store are what I use on my personal cars. The KEY with any wash mitt is to keep it clean and un-contaminated. That means don't drop it. Also have a system for new mitts and tatty mitts. New mitts for body panels above your knees and tatty mitts (that are clean and un-contaminated), for bumpers, lower parts of cars, etc.

The Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts we sell on the AG store are heavy duty. By this I mean they will hold up to both washing cars and going through the washing and drying machines... over and over again. The cheapie ones that look like the ones we sell will fall apart after a few washes in the washing and drying machine. (our experience).

I used this new mitt but have not been able to get to my review yet. The sparse thread count is what makes it work not a dense thread count. It seem to be very gentle to wash with and rinse dirt out easy in a 5-gallon bucket. I would say this would be a good choice for cars that you have ALREADY DETAILED and are trying to maintain a scratch and swirl free finish on.

GYEON Smoothie Wash Mitt

The real key to avoiding accidently scratching always comes down to how you touch the paint. When washing a pristine finish don't SCRUB the paint, make one or two passes to loosen the bite dirt and road film has on the surface and then rinse.

I cover this in my how-to book, The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Two comments...

The Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts that I show in "most" of my articles and that we sell on the AG store are what I use on my personal cars. The KEY with any wash mitt is to keep it clean and un-contaminated. That means don't drop it. Also have a system for new mitts and tatty mitts. New mitts for body panels above your knees and tatty mitts (that are clean and un-contaminated), for bumpers, lower parts of cars, etc.

The Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts we sell on the AG store are heavy duty. By this I mean they will hold up to both washing cars and going through the washing and drying machines... over and over again. The cheapie ones that look like the ones we sell will fall apart after a few washes in the washing and drying machine. (our experience).

I used this new mitt but have not been able to get to my review yet. The sparse thread count is what makes it work not a dense thread count. It seem to be very gentle to wash with and rinse dirt out easy in a 5-gallon bucket. I would say this would be a good choice for cars that you have ALREADY DETAILED and are trying to maintain a scratch and swirl free finish on.

GYEON Smoothie Wash Mitt

The real key to avoiding accidently scratching always comes down to how you touch the paint. When washing a pristine finish don't SCRUB the paint, make one or two passes to loosen the bite dirt and road film has on the surface and then rinse.

I cover this in my how-to book, The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine

Mitts like the one linked here from Gyeon and the one made by Optimum bother me because of small, tightly packed threads I felt would hold on to debris and not release it in my rinse bucket. I've always gone for one like these (MF chanile wash mitt) as I never found that to be an issue. Were my fears unfounded?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The CarPro Hand Wash Microfiber Mitt is great. I've tried a lot of different ones in the past and this is my favorite. Perfect size and control.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

12. Likes Ronin47, Rmd liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Mitts like the one linked here from Gyeon and the one made by Optimum bother me because of small, tightly packed threads I felt would hold on to debris and not release it in my rinse bucket.
    I agree with you about mitts with densely packed together mega-fibers.

But what I wrote is the opposite...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The sparse thread count is what makes it work not a dense thread count.

I'll take a picture to show what I mean. Also, I agree that even this pad from GYEON is only safe is used intelligently, sad to say that cuts out most of the population of car owners.

Mike Phillips

Here you go... in real-time...

I'm just finishing laundry from the February 3-day car detailing class, we had 21 people in that class and this is about half the wash mitts we used for washing cars. These have been used for the last 2-3 years and ANYONE reading this that has taken one of our classes in the last 3 years, you used these mitts so how about chiming in and being my witness?

I choose and use the Alien Worm Wash Mitts because I think they do a great job of loosening dirt off the car and because of their spread-out caterpillar-like fingers, the dirt rinses off the fingers easily when put through the washing process.

Pile-O-Mitts

Here's the GYEON real lambskin mitt. I only like these for cars I've already detailed and have a fresh coat of wax, sealant or coating and are only lightly dirty. I do think the are VERY gentle to the paint as long as the person using the mitt has half a brain and uses the mitt intelligently and then after using it washes and even brushes it out like a cat to keep the fibers from matting together. When fibers matt together they scratch paint.

This shows dense fibers packed together tightly

Here's the GYEON microfiber Smoothie

Here's close-up shot - compared to the above mitt and compared to other mitts I've seen and used, there's a lot LESS fibers and they are more spread out or sparse.

Here's the Alien Work also called the Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt. The fibers look like fuzzy caterpillars or alien worms.

See the empty space between each worm or caterpillar? This allows for plenty of independent wiggle room when going through a washing machine so dirt and debris can be removed off the surface and thus prevent your from scratching your car the next time you wash it. And... they look cool.

15. Thanks TomBrooklyn thanked for this post
    Likes FrankS, PaulMys, TomBrooklyn liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Mitts like the one linked here from Gyeon and the one made by Optimum bother me because of small, tightly packed threads I felt would hold on to debris and not release it in my rinse bucket.
    I think you're thinking is right.

I think that I've just seen a lot more mitts with a LOT more densely compiled fibers than the GYEON version. So it's a matter of context.

Were my fears unfounded?

Umm... just depends upon the car being washed, the person doing the washing and the after-wash care and feeding of the mitts.

To be safe, I suggest using the Alien Work or Microfiber Chenille mitts and keep them clean and have more than one on hand.

If a person is uber careful and the paint they are working on is perfect, then they can get away with these other types of mitts.

As I always type... when it comes to swirls and scratches, everything comes down to how you "touch" the paint.

Or everything comes down to "what's" touching the paint, for example abrasive technology in compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes.

17. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast