autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Which air compressor?

I know this topic has been discussed before and I did search, however I found nothing. I need an air compressor for home that’ll support the Rupes LHR75 and the Tornador.
    I’ve searched all over and I couldn’t get a brand and model of which one that’ll support both tools. I even searched on google for mikes’s article on air compressors, and nothing came up.
    I do plan on starting up a side detail business only on the weekends. During the week I’ll be at the pharmacy working. I’ve got alot of tuition to pay off, plus I’m living at home right now with mom. I don’t need to get an air compressor that’s huge, and makes a ton of noise. LHR75 needs 12-13 cfm at 90 psi, and the tornador 4.0@90 psi. Thanks
    Myles

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which air compressor?

A continuous supply of air at 12-13 cfm is a high demand from a home compressor. My old shop compressor was an 5hp Ingersol Rand, 2 stage, 230v single phase, 80 gallon that was rated at 15cfm@90psi. I think it would have been running close to a 100% duty cycle to keep up with a 12-13cfm tool in continuous use, and I don't think it would have been up to the task. Compressors rarely live up to their specs and tools are usually listed on the optimistic side of air consumption.

If you just need a minute or so at a time and 5-10 minutes out of an hour, a 30 gallon 120v single stage might work. You'll have to keep it at a 25% duty cycle or you'll burn the motor up too quickly.

If you don't have several grand to drop on a compressor and possibly a sub panel, I think you'd be better off with electric tools. You'd have to burn up a small mountain of electric tools before you'd break even on cost by converting to air. Air tools are a better idea when you work at place that provides the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which air compressor?

I agree, even the 4cfm for the Tornador is asking to much of most larger home compressors.

This is the main reason I do not use my Tornador and I’m mostly mobile so I’m not going to haul some huge compressor that will most likely trip breakers at customers houses where they don’t have a dedicated circuit for it.

You are going to need a huge compressor to run air tools if you want to use them for anything more than short bursts.