autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

>g/m2 is better, for microfibers?

Is it that the more grams per square meter, is better, for microfiber towels?

A year ago, I bought the Cobra Supreme 530. Recently lost it, so I need to replace it. Instead of one large 24x36 towel, I'd like a 3-pack of 16x16s. I use this for drying off a car, after washing it. I follow up with a light microfiber, that gets the stray droplets of water that the Supreme misses. I just saw here, two good options for me:

https://www.autogeek.net/cobra-delux...ber-towel.html

https://www.autogeek.net/supreme-buf...ber-towel.html

I have absolutely no complaints with the Supreme 530. I only bought it b/c I saw it recommended here, and it takes off water like I wouldn't have believed, had I not seen it with my own eyes.

BUT given that the supreme buff is the same price (for 3 16x16 towels), can I automatically assume that the Supreme Buff is slightly better, because it is 600 g/m2 instead of 530?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: >g/m2 is better, for microfibers?

Just different uses and or applications they are pretty similar gsm. You would quite frankly have to personally try both and see which you like for what you are going to use them for. Both are quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think you’d need more than a 70 gsm difference to really notice an improvement by one over the other. Obviously a 600gsm will hold more water than a 245 or 365 gsm. There’s a company out in the UK selling drying towels at or over 1000 gsm I believe.

It’s also not all about gsm. The weave type and pattern can make a big difference. I like waffle weaves for drying currently, though I have a plush weave as well, and am looking forward to trying out the two ‘pluffles’ I just bought. Don’t know if AG sells them so I won’t link, they’re only 490gsm but seem to perform really well due to a combination of the plush weave and waffle pattern increasing surface area.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with JCDetails... it's not all about the GSM, as the weave really does make a difference.

I preferred waffle weave towels for drying until I tried the Griots Terry Weave PFM's. Even better than pluffles (which lint) and big blue.

For me, the 16x16 PFM's are the best for drying (I simply prefer the smaller size). Here's the description of these towels from Griots:

Join the 'Pure Freakin' Magic' revolution! Become a detailing superhero with the most absorbent towel you'll ever use.
    Unique terry weave produces magnitudes more surface area for absorption
    Long, looped microfiber terry weave powers through wax or polish when buffing
    Double-lined, adding even more area to trap water
    Radiused, satin edges to prevent scratching any surface
    Measures 16" x 16"

The only two "cons" to these towels is price, and they can snag on emblems or metal trim. This does not affect their performance though.

Griots sells two for $19.99 and AG has them priced slightly higher. Take advantage of AG's price match policy if you buy them, or wait for an upcoming sale (which is never too far away).

You will not be disappointed with these towels.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Price has been the only thing keeping me from picking up a couple PFMs. I prefer the larger sizes (I do a lot of rinseless) and the pluffles and waffles that I buy sit right around the $10-12 range for appx 20x36 or 20x40.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another fan of the 16x16 PFMs here. That towel is so good I wish they made a 40x80 size so I could use that after taking a shower. Would probably be very heavy though.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I sent an email to Autogeek store support about this. The entire text of their reply is as follows:

Hello,

There isn’t much a difference between the 2 towels other than the color.

Thank you

One more thing---I ended up getting a 2 pack of the Supreme 530s, as the 2 pack was on sale for a buck or two less than the Deluxe Jr. With the Friday the 13th sale, I got 2 of those mf towels for 11.30--13% off, and there was no tax or shipping.