autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone Gave Me a Chamberlain Waxmaster 900

I know its old but it is dual action. I have a black Jeep daily driver. Just simply want to polish before winter.

I am wondering what polishing pads would be recommended. It is a 9" so I assume I would get the pads in 9" size.

Then would you use wool, microfiber etc ..?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Someone Gave Me a Chamberlain Waxmaster 900

Is it tied on or Velcro backing?

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked it up and it's a bonnet style pad. It's exactly what the name implies, a waxer. It does not have enough power to do correction work. If you don't mind swirls in your paint then this machine might work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously am a newbie at this. So I have a couple questions. The above post implies that correction work needs to be done prior to winter polishing (such as using clay ). Am I understanding this correctly ?
    Secondly I take it if correction work is not done polishing will result in swirls ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonster View Post
    Obviously am a newbie at this. So I have a couple questions. The above post implies that correction work needs to be done prior to winter polishing (such as using clay ). Am I understanding this correctly ? Secondly I take it if correction work is not done polishing will result in swirls ?
    Correction work doesn't need to be done, but the final results will likely be better. It really depends on what your goals are for your jeep. Typically you'll want to wash & dry first, then clay (if needed, do the baggie test), then compound/polish, then clean paint to remove any polish residue, then seal/coat/wax. If you use your buffer (or even hand polish) without removing the contaminants it's possible that your buffer will pick up these particles and then scratch the paint as you use it.

You can eliminate a step by using a cleaner wax/sealant, also referred to as an all-in-one (AIO). This will combine the polish step with the seal/wax step. The product you choose should be based on the condition of your paint and what you want the finished results to be. If you have a lot of shallow swirls, an AIO with a mild abrasive would be the way to go. If you have deeper swirls to correct, you'd go with an AIO with more abrasive. Mike Phillips has a ton of very informative articles and videos that can guide you as to what products might work for you as well as how-to's.

Post Thanks / Like

Technically, you can do correction work with a waxer like that. But only depending on the paint. My very first attempt at detailing (about 20 years ago) was on a late 80s Mustang with single stage paint. Having no clue what I was doing, I bought one of those waxers and a MF bonnet and went at it. The paint was extremely oxidized so it was easy to see some results. I have to admit it turned out pretty good. Good enough to make me think I knew what I was doing and kept at detailing, at least.

But single stage paint is very different from what your Jeep likely has. I really have no idea what results you'd get on a clearcoat system. Probably some improvement, but not much chance you'll get all the swirls out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I will look each one of these steps up and proceed accordingly. Paint is in awesome shape as I use the 2 bucket method and really good products. I wash once a week.

Only swirls I see are some very mild ones on the hood. None on the sides or roof. A few in the back but nothing deep anywhere on the vehicle as I take really good care of it even though it is a DD.

Clay is the only step that makes me nervous as I have never done it before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonster View Post
    Obviously am a newbie at this. So I have a couple questions. The above post implies that correction work needs to be done prior to winter polishing (such as using clay ). Am I understanding this correctly ? First of all to be on the same page, polishing means correcting the paint with an abrasive and waxing/sealants/coating are called "last step process or product/protectant" (LSP)You can clay and LSP, but the swirls will still be there.
    Secondly I take it if correction work is not done polishing will result in swirls ?
    If you don't polish (correct), yes the swirls will still be there. Your LSP will not cause more swirling, but claying may cause more marring.

If your after a Auto Geek finish, get a good dual action buffer (Griot6) some good polish, a lot of work and stand back and admire your work.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

I used my Chamberlain last week when I tested out the new Meguair's D166. Here's the link,

Review: Meguiar's D166 Ultra Polishing Wax by Mike Phillips

Chamberlain PolishMaster orbital polisher with microfiber bonnet
    Section buffed = driver's side truck bed

Not pictured - I knocked out the tail gate, both sides using the FLEX PE14 and knocked out the front and rear chrome bumper using the FLEX 3401

I didn't do much correction with this new cleaner/wax but I also didn't expect it to. The paint on my truck is pretty hard.

Mike Phillips

Here's my article on this buffer from 2009

TOB = Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast