autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BOSS 21 or Rupes 21 MkII

Alright geeks. Adding another tool to the Arsenal. I have a 3401, PE14, 9227C, GG6 and a iBrid. I am looking for solid and helpful opinions on the long throws. I am not interested in the where it's made argument or starting a forum war! Basically I want to know how they compare to each other. My understanding is the ergonomics of the BOSS are generally considered superior to the Rupes. But beyond that I just seek input before I buy.

I do know I seek to put a 5" BP on either machine I purchase regardless of the manufacturer suggestions. This is a risk I am willing to assume and won't lose much sleep over. I can't imagine why Griot's says go ahead and Rupes doesn't advise?

As far as pads/polish. I plan to use many different ones. I don't limit to just one or two. I am a fan of the BOSS creme's and pads. Rupes seems to be impressive itself. The blue pad with Zephyr seems to like to sling but I only have experience with it on my ibrid. LC ThinPro's seem to be a popular choice for the long throws as well. I trust LC pads as I almost exclusively use Hydros on my 3401. So whichever products I find to my liking I will use on either machine. Not looking to stay brand exclusive unless that is what produces the results I want.

So I guess give me your take aways and suggestions. We all fan boy a bit and that is understandable but if you have used both please get in depth if you will. Both are fine machines I am sure. But I guess if I am to be 100% honest I want to know why the Rupes is worth $40 more, or actually $100 dollars considering I can get the BOSS 15% to 20% off during a sale.

Noise, handling, power, machine heat, and ergonomics. Let's hear it, and thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOSS 21 or Rupes 21 MkII

"I can't imagine why Griot's says go ahead and Rupes doesn't advise? "

Well I can certainly address this particular point of the question, and a few others, at least from RUPES perspective.

First, it is important to keep in mind that RUPES is an actual tool manufacturer who has built an impeccable reputation over the course of 70 years (since 1947) by innovating, designing, and manufacturing some of the highest quality tools and solutions. Are primary focus is to deliver the longest-lasting, most durable tool we can, into our hands. This is our history and our reputation depends on it.

Second, we innovated and engineered the counterweight that allowed an orbital tool with a huge 21mm orbit to balance properly when installed with a properly weighted pad. We understand why this is necessary to tool balance, we understand how this balance (most noticed as vibration in free air) helps keep the rotating assembly happy under the high rpm, larger orbit stresses that they encounter. We feel, as the innovator of this counterweight that has be copied (to the point that you can actually swap the assembly on some Chinese-built copies) and as a manufacturer of tools, it is our responsibility to inform the customer about the accelerated wear rates that can occur in high-stress environments where the tools are being used 8-12 hours daily, often improperly. Our tools are professional grade and our background is in bodyshops and industrial applications; if our target customer, globally, was different we could perhaps be a little more lenient in our recommendations.

Third, swapping to a smaller backing plate was an incredibly popular modification for the original LHR 21ES. I would say that half of the original "orange trigger" tools have this modification done, and are still running perfectly fine (although in some cases they are a little noisier). Again, are we conservative in our recommendation? Absolutely. Do people still make this change... yes. Last I heard our warranty repair rate on the 21 is still less than 1%. In tool manufacturer terms, this is ridiculously low.

Fourth, if you look at RUPES' history in tool innovation - from the first plastic-bodied power tool (again to our knowledge) in 1961, to our innovations in dust extraction, low-vibration DA sanders, the first electric sanders, and large-diameter orbital polishers, we have always done with USER safety and comfort in mind. By designing and recommending a balanced, low-vibration system, we are reducing the negative impact that constant, high-frequency vibration can impart on your body. I suppose this is a cultural difference; in many parts of Europe USER comfort and safety are design objectives.

Lastly, and touching on a different point, RUPES also manufacturers our own custom-engineered motors for our tools. It is important to make a distinction between WATTS (power in) and TORQUE (twisting force or power out). The Mark II tools build upon the low power in, high power out legacy by using one of the most sophisticated motors we have ever built. When you have high power in and comparably less torque out, some of that inefficient conversion turns into heat (and also vibration). As far as power, heat production, and vibration, I think you will find most reviews will be a testament to our passion for manufacturing high-quality tools and solutions.

I know I am a fan boy, perhaps the biggest fan boy, so I am not so foolish to suggest you use my words as some review in your research. However, I did want to provide you with our philosophy and hopefully clear up some of your questions. Best of luck in your decision, I am sure you will be happy with either decision.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

you're going to get many different answers/opinions (like the linked one below in blue), the best thing to do is try both of them out and see which one suits your needs the most. also, keep in mind customer service and warranty plays a role on top of the polisher itself. if the company you buy a product from has non-existence (or lack of) customer service and doesn't take care of the customer if any problems should arise (remember, no man made tool is perfect), then why support them and put money into their pockets? just keep that in mind as well...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...switching.html

WE GUARANTEE IT
    Griot's Garage was built on high expectations, which is why everything we sell is covered by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Guarantee against defect.
    We strive for perfection in everything we do so you always... Have fun in your garage!®

+

= *The Deadly Duo*

Post Thanks / Like

What about the new Flex long throw ???

Post Thanks / Like

For now I am looking to qdd a 21mm throw machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I will put in my 2 cents.

A while ago, before I got into Autogeek, I purchased the G21. Long story short I ended up returning it because I really only needed my GG6.

This is before I went into business.

Anyway, what I loved about it was EVERYTHING. The ergonomic grips etc.

The pads are amazing! I also felt it was very easy to learn the long throw way and because I was only working on my own car, I had good practice with it. Once you learn to manipulate the technique, stalling was not an issue.

Eventually I got into business and got myself a Rupes.

For what it's worth, because I had prior experience with a long throw, if was easy for me to operate a Rupes no problem.

I wish I had both at the same time to compare, but for what it's worth, I can't remember off hand which felt more powerful. I also don't use the washer mod with the Rupes.

Anyway, both systems are amazing at what they can do in the right hands.

Even though I kept onto the Rupes, I have many days I miss the G21 due to the comfort level.

If I had to pick it all apart, I felt the G21 was a tad more smoother.

Love the Rupes – will not hesitate to get the G21 again if I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Both are great machines that will produce more than adequate results. There are differences like you mention in the ergonomics and I suggest you hold and use both if you have the opportunity.

The rupes makes it vs griots doesn't isn't a huge issue to me personally due to the lifetime warranty on the griots. The service at griots stands behind the statement as well with any product not just their machines.

Find what feels comfortable to you as none of us are created equal. I hated my g15 initially as I was trying to use it just like a rupes. Once I adjusted how I hold the machine and subtle movement differences it's honestly pretty equal machine vs machine in my book.

The griots saves a few bucks and has a lifetime warranty that's a strong selling point. The rules team is phenomenal as well and they do repairs in a timely fashion.

Post Thanks / Like

In the same boat, so will be following this thread. I'm stuck between the both and am half tempted to buy them both and try them out side by side.

It's hard to say no to a rupes after reading what Todd wrote but I've had a few gg6s over the years (none ever broke, just different plate sizes) and I love the brand and the machines as a whole. The more I see the rupes in videos I want it more as it seems to complete jobs effortlessly and as Todd stayed they are a tool manufacturing company so that's a hard point to ignore. So I'm still not sure what to do but look forward to more replies and hopefully some people have or do own both that can chime in

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thread I posted over on Autopia. There are some "specs" listed and my some personal feedback. Hope it can help some of you. it's listed as a 15mm vs 21 mm, but it also compares a Griot's to a Rupes.

(I had to link it, as I couldn't "cut and paste" the content to this site)

Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You said you want to put a 5 inch backplate on your new 21 of choice, and that is none of my business. However I would like to make a suggestion.

Don't just jump to a 5 inch backplate as soon as you get the machine.

Like Todd said above, both machines were designed for a 6 inch plate with that counterbalance, you can switch to the 5 inch plate on both machine, however both loose smoothness.

Above you stated you have a 3401, gg6 and more than likely run 5 inch pads.

I am a 6.5 inch pad guy, infact I dislike the 3401 with 5 inch pads very much. (Preference)

And my recommendation would be to leave the 6 inch plate on it. You more than likely have multiple machines with 5 inch pads.

The 21 with a 6.5 inch or 7 inch pad is a superstar on wide open panels, such as doors, and hoods, roofs.

If I have to use a 5 inch pad on a big open panel I am being less time efficient. Both 21 machines are complete superstars on big panels.

That would compliment your lineup more IMO.

So before you just get the machine and take the 6 inch plate off and assume you don't like it, actually try it.

See how smooth and how much surface area you are covering.

Think of it like trying to fill a piece of paper with a sharpie marker (making it all black) then going to a king size sharpie (thicker marker) you are going to cover more surface area faster.

There are not many fans of 6.5 7inch pads, and I have no clue why, they are actually my preference and actually make the polishing experience more comfortable and balanced.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast