autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto...

...to supplement my GG6. The GG6 (with 5" BP) was a great first machine but thinking maybe the Duetto might be a smoother, more 'finesse' oriented machine for a garage hack like me. Don't do a lot of cars, mostly friends, neighbors for fun so don't really need a beast like the Flex.

I understand that the Rupes have somewhat of a learning curve, which will be fun figuring out, but will it be smoother than the GG6 and can I get the same kinda correction on troubled surfaces that I have had success with using Megs D300 & their microfiber cutting discs on the GG6? I didn't encounter any issues this summer that this combo couldn't resolve, albeit with finer polishing that followed the initial D300 step. From what I've read the Rupes is more about technique as opposed to force/pressure which would be an interesting change methinks.

Also, do you really have to buy into the Rupes as a system (pads/polishes)? Already have many products/pads (Men/WG compounds and polishes& LC/Megs Pads) that work with the GG6 that I'm kinda familiar with and wouldn't want to see go to waste.

Don't really have anywhere close that I could actually handle a Rupes to even see how it feels in my hands but after 6hrs or so (yeah, I can be kinda slow) the GG6 gets wearisome on vertical panels.

In no hurry as the hobbyist season is coming to a close here in NE Ohio...just looking for something new to play with next spring. The Kamikaze backing plates seem intriguing as well, although somewhat pricey.

Don't think I need to jump to something like the LHR 15 Mk II or the LHR 21 Mk II but the Duetto intrigues me for some reason.

Maybe I'm just bored of trying different products so I'm moving on to new machines...

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto...

I guess I don't see the spending the money on the Duetto when the LHR 15 mk2 isn't that much more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Duetto and it's the first machine I grab.

I have an LHR15, GG6, G21, Duetto and Mini.

Why?

Because the Duetto is light, easy to manuever and super smooth. It's a one handed machine on vertical panels vs. two hands with the bigger machines. That's a major plus to me. It's a great addition to any arsenal.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Why?

Because the Duetto is light, easy to manuever and super smooth. It's a one handed machine on vertical panels vs. two hands with the bigger machines. That's a major plus to me. It's a great addition to any arsenal.
    As far as correction power where would you place the Duetto? More than the GG6 and less than the LHR15?

Post Thanks / Like

I am seriously thinking of getting one myself.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

The key thing with the Duetto is don't pick it up and use it like a PC. What I mean by that is no downward pressure is needed and it works against the machine. Let the large throw and easy flow do all the work for you.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    As far as correction power where would you place the Duetto? More than the GG6 and less than the LHR15?
    I would be more inclined to answer that question based upon a product and pad combination, not really the machine itself. And those combinations are endless.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Why?

When looking through the forums re: the topic, a few of your posts made the Duetto stand out. The smoothness, maneuverability and I *think* it's tendency not to stall as much as the LHR 15 with less than perfect technique were some of the points I noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    When looking through the forums re: the topic, a few of your posts made the Duetto stand out. The smoothness, maneuverability and I *think* it's tendency not to stall as much as the LHR 15 with less than perfect technique were some of the points I noticed.
    I'm not saying it won't stall, LOL.

If that's a prequisite for you then get a 3401.

I personally don't have a 3401 and will most likely never buy a forced rotation machine.

But that's just me and my preference.

If I could have only two tools, for me it would the 1-2 combination of a Rupes Duetto and a Mini.

That being said, it's key to let the tool do the work. With the Rupes tools you're basically just their as an operator to guide the tool and let it's design do the work.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

My Duetto is really growing on me with experience. For someone who owns a Porter Cable as well, what was said about letting the Duetto do the work as opposed how you would work the Porter Cable is very true. I have the 4 standard foam pads for the Rupes that I use. So far I use primarily Menzerna polishes with it. Its what I had at the time and knew how the polished worked. The Menzerna polish with Rupes machine and pads has worked out just fine for me.

I have been curious of about what other polishes outside of Rupes have worked well with the machines, particularly 1 step type products and non diminishing abrasives.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast