autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto...

i have both,both are great but the rupes is a superior machine,less vibration for example.if you want the duetto,get it and change the GG6 to 3 inch and you will have a killer combo!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Because the Duetto is light, easy to manuever and super smooth. It's a one handed machine on vertical panels vs. two hands with the bigger machines. That's a major plus to me. It's a great addition to any arsenal.
    That is an interesting point and not something I really considered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    My Duetto is really growing on me with experience. For someone who owns a Porter Cable as well, what was said about letting the Duetto do the work as opposed how you would work the Porter Cable is very true. I have the 4 standard foam pads for the Rupes that I use. So far I use primarily Menzerna polishes with it. Its what I had at the time and knew how the polished worked. The Menzerna polish with Rupes machine and pads has worked out just fine for me.

I have been curious of about what other polishes outside of Rupes have worked well with the machines, particularly 1 step type products and non diminishing abrasives.
    Not really outside of the Rupes line but the UHS polishing compound and the UHS pad work very well as a 1 step. M205 on a Rupes green pad is another good combo depending on the paint hardness. M205 also works very well on the Rupes yellow foam pad.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Also, do you really have to buy into the Rupes as a system (pads/polishes)? Already have many products/pads (Men/WG compounds and polishes& LC/Megs Pads) that work with the GG6 that I'm kinda familiar with and wouldn't want to see go to waste.
    You don't have to. There is no law saying you have to go with the entire Rupes system. But the pads and polishes were designed to work with their tools as a system.

I have used the Meguiar's foam discs on my LHR15 Mark II and they were ok. The tool does work better with the Rupes pads. Meguiar's compounds and polishes work great on the Rupes pads. But I do have the Rupes polishes as well and they work great with the Rupes pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying it won't stall, LOL.
    machine.
    Understood...Guessing poor techniques override machine abilities...will no doubt prove that during initial learning curve.

That being said, it's key to let the tool do the work. With the Rupes tools you're basically just their as an operator to guide the tool and let it's design do the work.
    Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto... That's probably for the best in my garage.

Thanks to all for the comments so far.

Will say that it would be nice to use GG6 as dedicated 3" BP machine. Despite how easy it is to swap plates on GG6 it's still a bit of an interruption to the process.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Understood...Guessing poor techniques override machine abilities...will no doubt prove that during initial learning curve.

Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto... That's probably for the best in my garage.

Thanks to all for the comments so far.

Will say that it would be nice to use GG6 as dedicated 3" BP machine. Despite how easy it is to swap plates on GG6 it's still a bit of an interruption to the process.

Have you already used a 3" bp on your GG6?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Have you already used a 3" bp on your GG6?
    Yep...with LC flat pads. Will likely switch to thin pros going forward. at first I'd catch an edge, pad would 'bloom' and big mess. Learned that pretty quick.

Been an interesting 'season' for sure...but in the end very productive and entertaining. Looking for a bit more finesse going forward, hence the interest in upgrading from 'basic' GG6 although it has served me well and will continue to do so. For the money, hard to beat it and its results.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough call...

I'd be inclined to say that you're fine with what you have considering the situation you're in.

That's not to say that I don't love my Duetto, but I do use it to make money, and for me, it had to pay for itself.

I've used Meguiar's and Menzerna polishes on blue microfiber, yellow microfiber, and yellow foam pads.

Meguiar's M100, and M205 work great with their pads, I actually prefer them to the Rupes polishes!

If you think you want one though, you have to scratch that itch, otherwise you'll always wonder.

8. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm partial to the HD Polish line up with my Duetto, especially HD Speed and HD Adapt (unfortunately discontinued)
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

If you think you want one though, you have to scratch that itch, otherwise you'll always wonder.
    Bingo!

Actually looking for a bit more finesse...and speed as well.

As an example, Menz 3500 with a LC White pad takes about 6-8 passes with the GG6 at a relatively slow arm speed to break it down completely, using moderate pressure at first, light pressure for final passes.

Wondering if a longer throw will decrease that a bit. Save 2-3 passes, use less pressure adds up over the course of a whole car; even more so if it's a 2 step deal or if finishing with Menz 3800 on a black or blue pad to try to eek out that last little bit of gloss/clarity on darker colors.

Will a Rupes 12 or 15 get that for me...and be smoother doing it.

Sometimes using the GG6 becomes a 'process' rather than an 'art' although I'm sure some can wield the GG6 in a truly artistic fashion.

Also point blank looking to speed up the entire process.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo!

Actually looking for a bit more finesse...and speed as well.

As an example, Menz 3500 with a LC White pad takes about 6-8 passes with the GG6 at a relatively slow arm speed to break it down completely, using moderate pressure at first, light pressure for final passes.

Wondering if a longer throw will decrease that a bit. Save 2-3 passes, use less pressure adds up over the course of a whole car; even more so if it's a 2 step deal or if finishing with Menz 3800 on a black or blue pad to try to eek out that last little bit of gloss/clarity on darker colors.

Will a Rupes 12 or 15 get that for me...and be smoother doing it.

Sometimes using the GG6 becomes a 'process' rather than an 'art' although I'm sure some can wield the GG6 in a truly artistic fashion.

Also point blank looking to speed up the entire process.

That's all hard to say. For me anyways.

I've been actually short cycling M205 with results I've never experienced, or though possible. On the PC with my blue buff and shine pads, or the duetto with their yellow foam.

You might want to consider getting a couple yellow pads, and their Keramik polish. I've found it to give as good a result if not better than the Menzerna, and is a lot easier to work with - for me anyways. It feels like it breaks down a lot faster than Menzerna, has a longer working time, dusts less, and wipes off cleaner. Their Diamond, on white pads is also another lovely combo. Just be careful to under use it. Diamond is really concentrated, and over applying the polish doesn't remove as easliy. The gloss is absolutely gorgeous too. Keramik is really close, but Diamond gets the slight edge.

While I really like Buff and Shine, Lake Country, and Meguiar's pads in general, I really prefer Rupes pads on their machines, or at least pads made with their design in mind.

The Rupes gels are fantastic, but I have so much more time logged with Meguiar's that it's easy for me to swap out polishes.

As far as smoothness, I don't often feel the vibrations associated with the PC, but when I use the Duetto, I can tell that it's a purpose built, highly engineered, highly specialized machine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast