autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight DA 6" Polisher

Hey guys I'm looking at getting this polisher just to do my vehicles with and see most people are saying to get a 5" backing plate. My question is will any 5" hook and loop work? Also I seen some people saying to get a counterweight for the 5" plate instead of using the one it comes with. Just wondering if any brand both of these will work. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA 6" Polisher

Any 5" hook and loop Backing Plate will work.

I much prefer the Meguiars Soft Buff DBP5 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

TMK The stock counter weight that comes on it will work fine.

Mike Phillips

Where's the Harbor Freight Detailing Discussion Forum?

Oh yeah... there isn't one. Harbor Freight doesn't offer service with their sales for people working on the paint on their car that is thinner than a Post-it note.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

The majority of cars being manufactured today and starting since the 1980's use what's called a basecoat/clearcoat paint system. With this system, a clear layer of paint is sprayed over the top of the basecoat which is also the color coat or the layer of paint that has pigment in it. If the car has a metallic finish then the metallic flakes are also in the basecoat.

The basecoat doesn't offer any gloss or shine and in fact it's dull or matte looking after it's sprayed. The basecoat gets it's gloss, shine, depth and reflectivity by the spraying of the clearcoat layer of paint over the top of it. This is why if a person removes too much clearcoat when buffing and they expose the basecoat it will appear to be a dull round or oval spot on a body panel. The part of the paint system that adds beauty has been removed revealing the dull or matte basecoat layer of paint.

Just how thin is the clear layer of paint on a factory paint job?

The factory clearcoat on a new or modern car measures approximately 2 mils thin.

The average post-it not is around 3 mils thin.

What does this mean?

This means the factory clearcoat on a new or modern car is thinner than a post-it note.

The next time you have a post-it note in front of you, feel a single post-it note between your fingers. Like this...

This experience will drive home the point as to just how thin the clear layer of paint is on modern car with a factory paint job.

It should also drive home the importance of using the least aggressive pad, product and even tools to get the job done.

When I say, get the job done, the context of this usually means someone is buffing out a car to remove paint defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation to make the paint and thus the car look better.

By using the least aggressive products you "get the job done" while leaving the most paint on the car to it will last over the mechanical service life of the car.

If you're working on your own cars and you're reading this you're already ahead of the game by reading the AGO forum and probably being a member so you can ask questions and get help.

If you're working on customer's cars take a professional approach as a service to your customers.

If you're reading this and you're going to do the work yourself or hire a detailer then do some research and make sure you hire a detailer that knows this type of stuff because the factory clearcoat on your car is thin.

But to answer your question because that's how we roll on this forum, "YES" you want to get a 5" backing plate and for years or decades now in the forum world and in my articles, videos, how-to books and my classes I show guys to use THIN foam pads instead of THICK foam pads.

Click the link below. It will take you to a page with a TIP to make sure you use a copy of the Porter Cable 7424XP dual action polisher correctly.

It also has links to take you to the AG Store where you can get a 5" backing plate and 5.5" thin foam buffing pads.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

There's actually LOTS of info in the above thread if you take a few moments to scroll down and read.

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips

Ah heck... while I'm here....

5" Backing Plate
    Lake Country 5" DA Backing Plate <-- Get this one as the Velcro will match Lake Country Pads

The 5" Lake Country Backing Plates fits all popular dual action polishers including Porter Cable, Griot's Garage and Meguiar's.

Lake Country

5.5" Flat Pads

In order from the most to the least aggressive

Yellow = Cutting pad (most aggressive)
    Orange = Light Cutting Pad
    White = Polishing Pad
    Black = Finishing Pad
    Blue = Waxing Pad (softest)

DON'T LOOSE THE COMPRESSION WASHER!

The Compression Washer

Get head knowledge first and then go out into your garage...

How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher Updated!

Mike Phillips

Here's even thinner pads...

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads exclusively at Autogeek

What can I say?

Thin is in!

For comparison

The Meguiar's thin foam discs on the left and the Lake Country thin foam pads on the right.

Meguiar's foam discs measures 11/16 of an inch thin or 17.5mm thin if you prefer the metric system.

The Lake Country ThinPro pads officially measure in at 11/16" or 17.5mm as stated by David Patterson at Lake Country.

As you can see by the below picture the Lake Country ThinPro look to be a tick thinner than the Meguiar's foam discs. This minute difference could be created by the thickness of the Velcro, or even adhesive or a natural bow to the pads after being boxed and stored. Big picture is the trend for foam buffing pads for free spinning random orbital polishers has for the pad to get thinner and thinner and the new offering from Lake Country validates this trend and now you have two brands to choose from.

By stacking 3 pads from each brand next to each other the small difference becomes more visible.

Fact is you really don't want or need to get any thinner than these pads as there is something to be said for having some level of mass or material between the paint and your backing plate. If pads were to be come any thinner it might be neccassary to use them with a foam interface pad and then you've moved away from the entire idea of using thin foam pads.

More comparisons

Lake Country 5.5" foam flat pads on the left and Lake Country ThinPro foam pads on the right.

Pad options...

Meguiar's offers three foam discs, cutting (maroon), polishing (yellow), finishing or machine waxing (black)

ThinPro foam pads are available in 5 flavors, see the graphic below for specifics.

ThinPro pads are available in 5.5" diameter and 6.5" pads.

On Autogeek.com

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 inch

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 6.5 inch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamaharider529 View Post
    Hey guys I'm looking at getting this polisher just to do my vehicles with and see most people are saying to get a 5" backing plate. My question is will any 5" hook and loop work? Also I seen some people saying to get a counterweight for the 5" plate instead of using the one it comes with. Just wondering if any brand both of these will work. Thanks

Invest the extra $40.00-$50.00 and get a PC or GG6 through Autogeek, it's well worth the investment. Support the vendor that supports the forum or the forum won't be here for all of us to share and learn from.

Give Nick a call at AG, I'll bet he'll put you in a nice system for a great price.

Something like this starter kit and a few extra pads and you are good to go:

http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA 6&quot; Polisher

The only reason I was even looking at the HF one was because I won't be using it much, mainly just my vehicle. I was looking at the Porter Cable to begin with and was going to go with it until I ran across the HF one. I seen a lot of great reviews on it even from these forums. I understand about quality from HF and I don't usually buy anything electrical from but for the few times I will use it I figured what the heck for $60. I still might go ahead and just buy the Porter Cable knowing I have a better one. Thanks for answering about the backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Invest the extra $40.00-$50.00 and get a PC or GG6 through Autogeek, it's well worth the investment. Support the vendor that supports the forum or the forum won't be here for all of us to share and learn from.

Give Nick a call at AG, I'll bet he'll put you in a nice system for a great price.

Something like this starter kit and a few extra pads and you are good to go:

Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher

I highly agree. There is a difference between the PC and Harbor Freight tool. For one, the HF tool is at least a pound heavier than the PC, which may not seem like much, but when using a tool with a lot of vibration that is almost 15-20% heavier, it adds up. Its LOUD! Its also not smooth, lots of vibration. The PC is a far superior tool. Even if you use it just a few times, its worth spending the extra money.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I was even looking at the HF one was because I won't be using it much, mainly just my vehicle. I was looking at the Porter Cable to begin with and was going to go with it until I ran across the HF one. I seen a lot of great reviews on it even from these forums. I understand about quality from HF and I don't usually buy anything electrical from but for the few times I will use it I figured what the heck for $60. I still might go ahead and just buy the Porter Cable knowing I have a better one. Thanks for answering about the backing plate.

By the time you end up piecing a system together what ever the machine you'll spend more money than investing in one of the kits, trust me I figured that out the hard way years ago when I bought my first PC.

Be sure to give Nick a call, it'll be worth your time. Drop him a pm, he is quick to answer unless in a meeting or something.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. Your approach is a reasonable one, but the PC and GG6 are so much better in quality, and you'll get a lifetime warranty with the GG6. Both the PC and GG will do everything a hobbyist needs and more. You won't be wasting your money, because as custmsprty stated, it's not just the DA polisher you'll be getting: pads, cleaners, polishes. In the end, the percentage of money you save by going with the HF will dwindle when compared to the PC or GG.

BUT, if you want to avoid what happened to me (innocently bought a GG6...then a Rupes 15...then a Flex....then a Rupes Mini), then stick with the HF!!!!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast