autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metro Sidekick vs Chemical Guys VX6

I have the VX6. Use it frequently. It will push water halfway across the car's roof. If you reach halfway across the roof, then it will push nearly all the water off the car. This is assuming that the car has a decent LSP. I doubt any electric blower will take a sheet of water off a car.

I will blow out panel seems, but i still wipe down all the jambs, just so they stay clean.

It actually has quite a bit more power than the similar sized $20 models you can buy at the big box stores, but you are going to run it at the highest setting all the time anyway. It's probably just a touch louder than the average electric leaf blower.

I did use electrical tape to secure the nozzle, it fell off many times during use at first, haven't had an issue since taping it.

The nozzle is a nice, relatively soft rubber.

In general, they are not the most ergonomic. I find myself holding it in very weird positions to blow water where I want it to go. I don't think any blower would be different though.

Not considering the DP turbo dryer for a pinch more money?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Not considering the DP turbo dryer for a pinch more money?
    Would rather have a 1 handed operation for it. just for convenience factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I hardly ever use a blower to dry anything anymore. I just do a final rinse with DI water and park the car in the garage overnight.

Next day do a quick wipe down with a spray wax & your good.

Lazy man method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I hardly ever use a blower to dry anything anymore. I just do a final rinse with DI water and park the car in the garage overnight.

Next day do a quick wipe down with a spray wax & your good.

Lazy man method.
    Doesn't really work when you're trying to run a business haha. Can't just have cars sitting around!

Post Thanks / Like

I use my sidekick for drying the entire vehicle after Hydro2 and it works great! I use an extension cord and a 6' hose. I hold the sidekick in my left hand and run the hose behind my back to my right hand to dry from the roof down. Works well - full size suv takes 10 min tops at a leisurely pace including wheels and underhood. Totally dry no dripping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by austinz View Post
    I use my sidekick for drying the entire vehicle after Hydro2 and it works great! I use an extension cord and a 6' hose. I hold the sidekick in my left hand and run the hose behind my back to my right hand to dry from the roof down. Works well - full size suv takes 10 min tops at a leisurely pace including wheels and underhood. Totally dry no dripping.
    I've heard its not the best for vehicles who dont have an LSP though. Like it doesnt do a very good job drying. That's one of the main reasons I wanted one in the first place though. Something to make drying with no LSP faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OTSDetail View Post
    I've heard its not the best for vehicles who dont have an LSP though. Like it doesnt do a very good job drying. That's one of the main reasons I wanted one in the first place though. Something to make drying with no LSP faster.

In what situation are you drying a car with no LSP on it? If I'm working on a car with no LSP, I can all but guarantee it needs to be clayed. I don't waste time drying a car if I'm going to clay it. I just use a strong dilution of ONR as clay lube, clay the car and wipe dry as I'm going. Perhaps you are concern with a different scenario?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

In what situation are you drying a car with no LSP on it? If I'm working on a car with no LSP, I can all but guarantee it needs to be clayed. I don't waste time drying a car if I'm going to clay it. I just use a strong dilution of ONR as clay lube, clay the car and wipe dry as I'm going. Perhaps you are concern with a different scenario?
    I do a quick exterior wash for some of my friends and family and occasional client. Some of them do not have any LSP on them and I cannot "upsell" them on it either.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a wash n wax type product would be well suited? Something to at least get some beading going to speed up your drying. I would think Hydrofoam would be perfect if the cars aren't filthy, even a strong pressure wash or prefoam may be enough to prep for hydrofoam and still fit the time and budget?

Probably have to try it to see if you actually save time or if you are just trading drying time/effort for prep time/effort with additional product cost.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

In the real world most people don't have a quality lsp on their paint. They simply want a quik wash and would be hard pressed to notice or be interested in flawless looking protection.

Quote Originally Posted by OTSDetail View Post
    I do a quick exterior wash for some of my friends and family and occasional client. Some of them do not have any LSP on them and I cannot "upsell" them on it either.

Exactly this.👆🏽

Solution? From what it looks like, I can assume why you're fed up with using waffle weaves.. You should buy a couple of Water Sprites instead. They'll fit your need, trust me. Also, forget about trying to dry a whole vehicle [especially 1 without a quality lsp] with a Metro Sidekick, don't get me wrong, they're great for nooks & crannies, but you'd be lucky to be able to dry a whole waxed vehicle with just that..

Get a Homelite Blower brand new for like $32 @ the big orange place..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast