autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm Looking for a Cheap Paint Thickness Gauge

Let's put it this way. How long do you want to gamble when compounding or polishing until something happens? ie: burn through. Then how much will a repaint cost? Bet it will be more expensive than the ptg. At the end of the day, it's your call.

Post Thanks / Like

My PTG has saved me plenty of times.....

$150 or a price of a repaint........

I'll spent the $150
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Davey, I don't think it's good at all. The margin of error is 20 microns. You can burn through 19 microns (simplifying margin of errors and standard deviations of course) of clearcoat before the PTG even budges. That might be ok if your paint is 150 microns thick, but if you hit a section where it is 60 microns thick, you've just burned 1/3 of the thickness and will be into the base coat before your PTG makes a change. Also, its margin of error makes judging thickness difficult. Let's say it says 3 mil thickness. Is that 4 mil, 2 mil or something in between?

As Evan said: what's $150 when compared to the cost of a repaint?

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on paint thickness gauges. While they do give you information that you can use, a little common sense goes a long way, and the paint thickness gauge is not an absolute necessity.

Anyone who has been doing paint corrections and polishing for a while can look at a defect, or defects, and have a pretty good idea if they can be removed or not. Then on the other hand, someone who is inexperienced probably won't benefit from the gauge very much anyways.

Even with the gauge you need to rely on some assumptions... How thick is the primer coat? The base coat? The clear coat? The only measurement that really matters is the clear coat and the paint thickness gauge won't give you that information.

If you or a customer has a severe defect that is borderline on being repairable, then you (or the customer) simply make the choice before attempting to remove it... Live with it, or assume the risk that you may sand/buff through trying to remove it, in which case the only repair is to repaint.

All that said, precision measuring equipment, and paint thickness gauges fit that category, is no place to skimp on quality. Get a good one or none at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Zac is deffiantly right but he is a pro and dose awsome work..
    Me I am just a hobbyist and do my car and kids cars all live out side.
    Truth I would like a paint gauge but would rather have an extractor or stem unit first..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Here's my take on paint thickness gauges. While they do give you information that you can use, a little common sense goes a long way, and the paint thickness gauge is not an absolute necessity.

Anyone who has been doing paint corrections and polishing for a while can look at a defect, or defects, and have a pretty good idea if they can be removed or not. Then on the other hand, someone who is inexperienced probably won't benefit from the gauge very much anyways.

Even with the gauge you need to rely on some assumptions... How thick is the primer coat? The base coat? The clear coat? The only measurement that really matters is the clear coat and the paint thickness gauge won't give you that information.

If you or a customer has a severe defect that is borderline on being repairable, then you (or the customer) simply make the choice before attempting to remove it... Live with it, or assume the risk that you may sand/buff through trying to remove it, in which case the only repair is to repaint.

All that said, precision measuring equipment, and paint thickness gauges fit that category, is no place to skimp on quality. Get a good one or none at all.
    I hear what you're saying.

The reason why I want the PTG is because I've recently purchased a new addition to my garage. It certainly does not have any severe defects (just light swirls) but it is 13 years old and I don't know the history of the paint (even though it looks very good).

So being unsure of how thin the paint is, I thought it would be prudent to measure it. Although the defects are very light, I'd hate to burn through. I guess you could say it's a low risk, but a high consequence...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably end up borrowing a PTG from a friend, but he lives on the other side of town, and it's a pain to get to....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=2black1s;1272992] While they do give you information that you can use, a little common sense goes a long way, and the paint thickness gauge is not an absolute necessity.

Anyone who has been doing paint corrections and polishing for a while can look at a defect, or defects, and have a pretty good idea if they can be removed or not.

I don't agree...it's not a matter if the defect can be removed, it's about how much paint you have to work with. There is no way you can tell if a hack with a rotary and a wool pad took off a lot of clear coat by looking at the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Rsurfer;1273026]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    While they do give you information that you can use, a little common sense goes a long way, and the paint thickness gauge is not an absolute necessity.

Anyone who has been doing paint corrections and polishing for a while can look at a defect, or defects, and have a pretty good idea if they can be removed or not.

I don't agree...it's not a matter if the defect can be removed, it's about how much paint you have to work with. There is no way you can tell if a hack with a rotary and a wool pad took off a lot of clear coat by looking at the paint.
    If, as you say a hack, took off a lot of clear with a wool pad and rotary you should be able to see that in the paint finish. The texture of the paint would be different in the "hacked" areas. Same goes for repainted panels. In the vast majority of cases the texture of the repainted panel will not match the texture of the factory original panels. This is where the common sense comes into play... If you see variations in the paint finish then you need to assess the probable cause and proceed accordingly.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not by any means saying that a paint thickness gauge is useless, I'm just saying that it's not absolutely necessary. There are other indicators and that's what a paint thickness gauge is - an indicator.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many instruments, the PTG can offer guidance and insight, but ultimately experience and common sense will be the deciding factor.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast