autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool 49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat

I have just finished my DIY Sun Gun using the direction found on autogeek and other websites to create a sun gun that with everything cost me a hair under 50 bucks. The Sun Gun I have made uses the same technology as the 450 dollar 3M Sun Gun. Mind you the 50watt 4700k bulb in the 3M gun was to bright for me and my white car so I opted for a 35watt bulb but the prices are the same for 35 and 50watts so anyone who wants a 50 can get it. I will be posting pics by tomorrow to show you the finished product. Was very easy once all the components were together. Components were a cordless 12volt 3/8 chuck drill (mine was a Black and Decker from Lowes), a Solux 35W 4700K MR16 Bulb, a TP-61 Bulb holder and that's it. Tools needed were a screwdriver, wire stripper, wire cutters, sandpaper to sand off some of the interior plastic of the drill so the bulb will fit snug in the drill slot and your choice of wire connecters or a soldering set. Bottom line, if you need a Sun Gun, just man up and make one. 450 vs 50? hmmmmm ill keep my 400 bucks and spend it on my baby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat

Here they are, my car was outside and didn't have the time to pull it in the garage. The light works perfect though, even on white paint. I was on lunch break from work so I took these quick.

Oh and if anyone has any questions about how to put this together or any problems you may encounter building it. Please lemmie know maybe I can trouble shoot for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat-dscn1254-jpg   49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat-dscn1255-jpg   49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat-dscn1256-jpg   49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat-dscn1257-jpg   49.89 Dollar Sun Gun, 3M have a seat-dscn1258-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty ingenious. How hot does that plastic housing get when you are using the light?

Post Thanks / Like

That looks really good.Where able to find the bulb and holder local or did you have to order it? Also, with the light so bright and making the drill glow, do you think that will/or does alter the your vision for finding imperfections?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't get hot at all really, just slightly warm. We only use the light for 5 to 10 seconds at a time to inspect the paint then we leave it to do work. So the bulb and plastic cool a bit before next use. If you wanna hold the trigger for 30 minutes then idk what will happen. but for the use that we need it for it works perfectly fine.

Post Thanks / Like

The bulb I got off amazon.

LINK REMOVED (SEE TERMS/CONDITIONS)

The holder is off amazon too.

LINK REMOVED

As far as the glow altering your vision, I personally hold it off to my side and light the paint that way. I don't actually see the light in my hand, its out of my peripheral vision. So im not distracted by the light or the glow im just seeing the light off the paint. Ive seen tons of pros doing it that way and it works for me too

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great...Good Job!!

To eliminate your particular drill motor's/DIY-Sun Gun's
    "back-side" illumination:

I'll suggest:
    Try a SoLux "Black Back" bulb.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I want to totally do this! Do you have step by step directions?
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I had no clue that Black bulb even existed lol have to look for one.

Step by Step: Once you have everything heres what you do.

1: Unscrew the screws holding the drill shell together and remove the battery.
    2: Snip the two wires going to the electric motor that powers the drill and remove the motor/bit assembly.
    3: Sand off the plastic edges on the inside of the drill shell so the bulb will fit inside the plastic snugly but not too tight.
    4: Using the TP-61 bulb holder wires and the wires leaving the trigger assembly in the drill, solder the wires togther or splice them using a connecter assembly. I souldered mine and covered them with electrical tape.
    5: Install the bulb into the bulb holder. It will seem to not fit, but with some pressure you can shimy it in and it will go all the way on the bulb ends. At this point I would reconnect the battery and test the light. If it doesnt work, check your soulder job and the battery charge. Btw some drills like mine make a high pitch ring as you start to pull the trigger and goes away at full pull. This is normal and happened even when the motor and drill assembly was in it.
    6: If it does work then place the bulb in the shell so it will sit in the sils in the "face" of the drill shell and make sure the wires fit inside the housing.
    7: Close the shell and tighten up the screws.
    8: Enjoy.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. As you start to do it, you will see what you have to do and will problably stop reading these directions haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing share mate, thanks a lot for that!
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast