autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush - does it scratch wheel surfaces?

I purchased a Daytona Speed Master wheel brush for an awesome price during the recent sales. I have watched videos and read reviews about the product which state that it is safe and does not scratch wheel surfaces. When opening the brush I noticed the tip of the bristles aren't as soft as I was thinking they would be. I'd imagine the brush will work great for the barrels of the wheel but it's inevitable that the bristles will come in contact with the wheels lip.

Here is a picture of my wheel. I believe the wheel is clear coated but I'm not 100% sure if the lip is or not. The lips do scratch fairly easy so I'm a little bit concerned about using this brush.

Can anyone share their experiences with this brush and whether it is very safe to use? Has anyone found that the brush does scratch more delicate surfaces?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

-scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch77 View Post
    I purchased a Daytona Speed Master wheel brush for an awesome price during the recent sales. I have watched videos and read reviews about the product which state that it is safe and does not scratch wheel surfaces. When opening the brush I noticed the tip of the bristles aren't as soft as I was thinking they would be. I'd imagine the brush will work great for the barrels of the wheel but it's inevitable that the bristles will come in contact with the wheels lip.

Here is a picture of my wheel. I believe the wheel is clear coated but I'm not 100% sure if the lip is or not. The lips do scratch fairly easy so I'm a little bit concerned about using this brush.

Can anyone share their experiences with this brush and whether it is very safe to use? Has anyone found that the brush does scratch more delicate surfaces?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

-scott
    The daytona speedmaster does not scratch the wheels once the brush becomes wet the bristles are very soft like a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush - does it scratch wheel surfaces?

The packaging on the EZ Detail brush says to soak in hot water to soften bristles. I believe Daytona brushes are the same design made under licensing?

Post Thanks / Like

If your concerned with scratching, I would just clean the inner barrel with the Daytona brush and use a microfiber wash mitt/ towel on the lip & face. I use the Daytona brush on every detail and haven't noticed any scratching so far.

Mike Phillips

Pretty wheels.

Use the Daytona for getting behind the spokes and the back of the wheel barrows.

Definitely get a 8" Montana Boar's Hair Wheel Brush or the Wheel Woolie Montana Boar's Hair Brush to clean the face of those wheels.

Like this...

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 Show Car Makeover Pictures

Decontaminate Wheels
    Since I've only owned this car for 5 days I have know idea what's been done for maintenance in the past so after machine scrubbing the tires the next thing I'm going to do is decontaminate the wheels using Iron X and a Daytona Speedmaster Wheel Brush, to get behind the spokes, the back of the wheel barrels and around the brake calipers. I used an 8" Montana Boar's Hair Wheel Brush to clean the face of the wheels.

I don't have the pictures because I was also the guy doing the work but to clean the face of these wheels I used a Montana Boar's Hair Wheel Brush.

Mike Phillips

Also, this write-up pretty much shows you all the steps from start to finish to detail any car including coating it.

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 Show Car Makeover Pictures

Finished...

Post Thanks / Like
    My Daytona wheel brush is broken, over used destroyed. The "hair" looks like it got a huge dose of chemo. It has chunks missing and chunks of "hair" pushes to one side. The handle broke and was repaired.

Yet, it doesn't scratch.

Wheels tend to have a harder paint on them. They don't scratch as easy. If you use the brush a lot like me, the tip cover will fall off. Put a blob of marine Goop on it and its good for life.

I just got a new one as well.

Post Thanks / Like

They are perfectly safe....just like the above post mentioned....keep an eye out for the tip coming off...but its a easy fix.....
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435