autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which Tool Receives Little Respect, Yet Needed in Detailing

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toothbrush

14 26.42%
  • Paintbrush

4 7.55%
  • Toothpicks

5 9.43%
  • Dental Floss

0 0%
  • Qtips

16 30.19%
  • Newspaper

2 3.77%
  • Petroleum Jelly

1 1.89%
  • Masking Tape

11 20.75%
  • Pencil Eraser

0 0%
  • Clear Nail Polish

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Boars hair brush

What is the group opinion on the boar's hair brush?

I've used them for painting, but never washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I like your ideas and there are several more ....

Clear nail polish --- fill in paint dings to avoid rust spots , chips in painted wheels.

Petroleum Jelly --- coating chrome badges to protect while buffing, paint repair, and yes to lubricate items like the rubber.
    Hey you said RUBBER!! essentially your clear nail polish could be used as a clear coat quick fix .

I have some paint peels on my 71 olds down to the bare metal with no rust whatta you think of me applying a thin layer of polish to the metal panel. I thinking this could protect the metal and keep it from rusting?

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for masking tape. When machine detailing, it is one of the most important tools.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Petroleum jelly is also good on the refrigerator seals.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like

clear nail polish

Be careful with the nail polish. Some will turn yellow when you use wax or sealants. I say buy a small amount of clear coat from an auto body place or paint supplier. I think I had some clear coat in a touch up bottle at one time, but I can't find it now.

Cut a drinking straw at an angle and dip into the clear, then apply. Wooden match sticks are ok too, but need to be sharpened. Toothpicks work the same.

Here is my touch up routine. It takes about a week, but the results are very good. Recently, I use a magnifying glass if needed as my eyes are not as good as they were at 16.

Wrap some 1000 grit around a sharp edge and sand until metal is shiny, or if not all the way down, until the primer is showing but dont go through it.

Clean with alcohol.

Apply touch up with straw, toothpick, or match stick, and overlap the existing paint by only a hair's thickness or so.

Let dry for a day, then continue filling each day. It will take several coats to get it near even with the other surface. Add clear coat to fill the rest of the way up.

When level with other paint surface, use an aggressive polish until the areas are matched perfectly. I have used rubbing compound for speed, but it was an older car and had swirls so it didn't matter. I would use the most caution at this point as you don't want the area around the touch up area to look polished (or swirled) differently than the other parts of the car.

This sound like a lot of work, but the results have been good for me. Some people may not want to try this if they are not comfortable. I have seen some terrible touch ups. Actually my first really good touch up was to fix a bad dealer body shop touch up. My wife had a new car when we were dating in high school and someone chipped a piece of paint off with their door after she had it a few days. Against my advice, she and daddy took it to the "experts" at the dealer. Well, she came to my house crying because they put about 1/2" wide streak of touch up over a 1/8" chip and it looked terrible. Actually, the chip location on this car was right at a focus point on the door, so it stick out terribly. I fixed it with this method and it was good. Actually, I think this was the first time that they actually learned I was not a blowhard punk and could actually do something. After this I became the fixer upper for about everyone they knew, which was a lot of people in our hometown. This one fix lead to a lot of other work that I needed at the time. Funny how things work.

Post Thanks / Like

website

These have a better description of this method. There was no internet when I first came up with my method so now my knowledge is increased. I will use primer on my next fix.

GOOGLE:automotive touch up
    Langka
    paintscratch

Post Thanks / Like
    Forum rules dont allow links to other sites Deatiling ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by articsilber323
    peanut butter you forgot peanut butter for taking dried wax stains off mondings!!!
    I use peanut butter oil!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went for paintbrushes to get all the dust out of the vents and switches etc inside the car.

I'm lucky when using the pc all my trim is either silver or chrome so need for masking tape just go straight over it.
    Last edited by Jonboy; 08-09-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123