autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swirl Finder

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirl Finder

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if my post is ok to post here or not, so if I am out of line, please delete my post admin. I currently have a small LED flashlight J5 that is 300 lumin. Somehow I feel like it is not bright enough and I am not really finding much swirls with it or it really could be my eyes =). I understand there is a Flex Swirl Finder, but from the reviews, a lot of people are just saying it's an expensive bright flashlight. Any recommendation on a swirl finder that doesn't break the bank? Again, admin, if I am out of line, please feel free to delete this post. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl Finder

I agree paying $50 for the one with the Flex name on it is silly. Just go to Walmart and get that Atomic Beam flashlight for $20 that is advertised on TV all the time. It is a 5000 lumen flashlight with Cree LEDs. Its the brightest LED flashlight I've ever seen. It is very well made too. I bought 3 more of them for around the house. If you put Lithium Ion batteries in it it is claimed that the brightness increases to 13,000 lumens. I have not tried it yet. I keep forgetting to buy some rechargeable Li-ion batteries

It should be plenty bright enough for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the brightest will blind out the imperfections.autogeek has a new light and it's magnetic it's pretty cool.its 149.00 not bad for everyday use a professional.If not buy what you can afford and make it work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B00st4ddicted View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am not sure if my post is ok to post here or not, so if I am out of line, please delete my post admin. I currently have a small LED flashlight J5 that is 300 lumin. Somehow I feel like it is not bright enough and I am not really finding much swirls with it or it really could be my eyes =). I understand there is a Flex Swirl Finder, but from the reviews, a lot of people are just saying it's an expensive bright flashlight. Any recommendation on a swirl finder that doesn't break the bank? Again, admin, if I am out of line, please feel free to delete this post. Thanks!
    Haven't used a flex unit to comment, but my RUPES LL150 LED Penlight is well worth the few bucks it cost. Small, durable, and the color emitted is different than a typical over the counter LED as it's not pure white, thus is works great on lighter colors. That said I do use both types to inspect paint but when I"m on lighter colors or cars that aren't completely obviously torn up, Rupes is the key for me.

I'm doing a white car today so I'll see if I can get picks comparing the two I use. Off to go wash it now.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Scangrip 3 light set and it's as good as it gets... expensive though.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that 300 lumen is pretty darn dim. Find an LED flashlight with T6 LEDs in it and that should do the trick. Those can be had anywhere from $5 to $20 and your lumen output will be at least 1000 lumen if not 2000. Darn bright light that works really well. I don't know what the FLEX light could possibly show that my 1600 lumen light isn't showing, but I suppose I could compare them and find out.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I agree paying $50 for the one with the Flex name on it is silly. Just go to Walmart and get that Atomic Beam flashlight for $20 that is advertised on TV all the time. It is a 5000 lumen flashlight with Cree LEDs. Its the brightest LED flashlight I've ever seen. It is very well made too. I bought 3 more of them for around the house. If you put Lithium Ion batteries in it it is claimed that the brightness increases to 13,000 lumens. I have not tried it yet. I keep forgetting to buy some rechargeable Li-ion batteries

It should be plenty bright enough for you.
    Don't want to argue, but this is NOT a light I'd recommend for swirls. More distance and less brightness really helps highlight swirls, in my limited experience. A grocery store parking lot at night is great for this. Not a lot of light and far away. I use an LED multi-brightness flashlight in low mode to illuminate swirls and it works pretty well. Still need to get the light away from the car.

Post Thanks / Like

For another point of view I have tried the Flex,Scan grip,led light bar,and different overheads all with different results depending on the paint color. I can find swirls very simply with solid colors but some metallic paints need special light to find them in my case. Nothing kicks me in the nuts better than finding a 1'' long thinner than a babies hair swirl after I do my finishing celebration dance. I still have not found my perfect portable light that works on every paint type.

Post Thanks / Like

You can always contrive one
    to call your very own.

I call mine:
    Bob's Brillante Como El Sol Pistola®

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    [B][I]Bob's [Color="Red"]Brillante Como El Sol PistolaSwirl Finder
    Roberto's Brillante Como El Sol PistolaSwirl Finder*

Trust me, no one in Mexico knows what a Bob is... Not to mention, they'll wind up calling you Bub.. You don't wanna be known as Bub, do you? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast