autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help me make a buffer decision - voice of reason please!

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    On one hand I agree with GSKR.

On the other, you might be able to get a Flex 3401 to bridge the gap between the rotary and the GG6..
    The 3401 is what I am leaning towards, IF I decide it is worth it to get a new tool.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
    If the makita is giving you aches and pains for sure get something lighter. Aches and pains only get worse as you get older and 3-$400 bucks is well worth a future of less back pain.

You could try using the flex pe-14 rotary. It's super light or I really enjoyed using my boss 21 this year on the boat with megs mf cut and polish pads.
    This is the biggest reason to me to upgrade. I'm about half finished with the boat I'm working on now (it's only a 22 foot). I'm going to suck it up and finish with what I have. If it kicks my butt, I think I will have the justification to buy a lighter tool. I'll also look at the mf cut and polish pads.

Nice boat, btw!
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clm65 View Post
    Thanks GSKR, this is what the "practical" side of me is saying. It's hard to justify several hundred dollars+ for a seldom used tool, especially if I can get good results with the GG. But I guess I still need to demonstrate that I can get acceptable results with the GG. Any recommendations on pads?
    go with the thin foam thin pads for the cars.get 2 of each,2 cutting orange 2 yellow and 2 whites for final polishing.you may not use all but you will have them.for the boat cutting microfiber disk that I would buy like 8 to 10 of them and keep them clean and fluffed up between big sections.Hd speed for 14.99 is a no brainer and a small bottle of menzerna fg 400. Those 2 polishes can clean up pretty much anything without all the confusion of different products.on the foam pad supply that I mentioned is the minimum,but it will get you started and you can always order more.

Post Thanks / Like

The GG 6" is a good versital tool that with the he right pads will cut oxidation on a boat. Have you tried microfiber cutting pads with M105? I have flex 3401 and it is not a light machine and will,get you tired just like the Mikita

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

The 3401 is what I am leaning towards, IF I decide it is worth it to get a new tool.
    The 3401 is not a tool you can just pickup and master, it's got plenty of power and people use it often,but with your situation looking for simplicity and not getting fatigued quickly I would think the 3401 wouldn't be a good fit for you.The way it's designed has a lot of resistance and tends to walk a lot .But this is what I find,and maybe not you.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the biggest reason to me to upgrade. I'm about half finished with the boat I'm working on now (it's only a 22 foot). I'm going to suck it up and finish with what I have. If it kicks my butt, I think I will have the justification to buy a lighter tool. I'll also look at the mf cut and polish pads.

Nice boat, btw!
    Buy some carpro hydro 2 ,it's a water activated sealant that requires zero labor and will put some protection on the boat.Its not cheap but geos along way and can be used on cars as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'll be placing an order today for pads and other items to use with the DA. It sounds like the 3401 wouldn't really help with reducing fatigue, so I hope the GG is up to the task!
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    The newer machines are great for flat big run surfaces.But I find you don't save a substantial amount of time working on cars with a 21.The larger orbit can't get into tight areas
    Totally agree.

A 12mm orbit is perfect, IMO. Still very versatile and can correct awesome. I have a WS12 polisher and I love everything about it. If it spun 500-700 OPM's faster at MAX speed, it would be golden!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12