autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable finally died, looking to replace

Well, after 12 long years of faithful service my PC finally gave it's last breath this past weekend. It was the first polisher I ever owned that I got as a birthday gift from my parents when I was 15 (at that time it was to polish and wax their vehicles ). I've used it for corrections, AIO's, and laying down some wax over it's life and it was a fantastic tool.

I was thinking about investing in another one, but was wondering if it would be worth looking at the Rupes or FLEX line to get the job done. When I was detailing to make some extra money I was very close to purchasing a FLEX polisher, but that was about 3 years ago. Since that time I've stopped detailing as a side gig and have become mostly a weekend warrior keeping up on mine and my wife's car as well as the occasional friend who needed some help.

So... now... the question is: Since I only polish maybe 1-2 times a year and mostly use a machine to apply waxes and sealants, what would you recommend? I'm open to anything, and yes the price of the PC is great, but I have no problem investing in another tool that has fantastic quality.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable finally died, looking to replace

I was in the same boat as you. Porter Cable died after 10 years. I detail a few more cars a year than you.
    I invested in the Rupes Bigfoot LHR 15 ES. It is a wonderful machine. Balance is great and it works really well. I also had to get some new pads.
    You will love this machine. Certainly more money than the Porter Cable. I had also used the Griots DA, which is also really nice.
    There are some good deals on the Gen 1 Rupes with Pads out in the Market now as a new Mark II is out with more power for more a heavy user.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmfitz View Post
    I was in the same boat as you. Porter Cable died after 10 years. I detail a few more cars a year than you.
    I invested in the Rupes Bigfoot LHR 15 ES. It is a wonderful machine. Balance is great and it works really well. I also had to get some new pads.
    You will love this machine. Certainly more money than the Porter Cable. I had also used the Griots DA, which is also really nice.
    There are some good deals on the Gen 1 Rupes with Pads out in the Market now as a new Mark II is out with more power for more a heavy user.
    I was looking at that exact one, but just didn't know if it was overkill for my application.

Have you used it to spread wax, or do you still have a separate DA for that type of work? I really love the power that comes with the Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my PC7424XP and I have the Flex 3401 and it has been my Go-to DA and IMO the best for me. That being said, there are about 3 brands that everyone here seems to rave about. The Flex Brand, The Rupes brand and the Griot's Garage Brand. IMO you can't go wrong with any of these brands and their systems. I look at it as Ford (Flex), Chevy (Rupes) and Dodge (Griot's Garage) all are great like Detroit Muscle!

But 12 Years!! Dang!! I have about 8 more years to go before my PC will blow up...that's cool! I think I can live with that!....LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I still have my PC7424XP and I have the Flex 3401 and it has been my Go-to DA and IMO the best for me. That being said, there are about 3 brands that everyone here seems to rave about. The Flex Brand, The Rupes brand and the Griot's Garage Brand. IMO you can't go wrong with any of these brands and their systems. I look at it as Ford (Flex), Chevy (Rupes) and Dodge (Griot's Garage) all are great like Detroit Muscle!

But 12 Years!! Dang!! I have about 8 more years to go before my PC will blow up...that's cool! I think I can live with that!....LOL
    Haha, yeah it lasted a very long time for me. Truth be told, I wasn't the gentlest with it either.

Do you use your FLEX to apply wax? I know that question is redundant in this thread, but it's what I'll mainly use my new polisher for. I would love to have one with the power to carry out corrections when needed which is why I'm all for investing a little more to have that power on standby when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spread wax with it and used very light pad. It worked well. The machine glides so easy you can use it with one hand sometimes.
    I still do most of wax applications by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Truth be told, I wasn't the gentlest with it either.
    After 12 years the statement above should tell you everything you need to know. I'd buy another PC7424xp, then save up enough money for any other polisher of your choosing, but I wouldn't be without my trusty Porter Cable. Twelve (12) years of hard use is nothing to sneeze at. That's reliability!

Take your own words, then consider how often Mike Phillips still recommends the Porter Cable of other similar DA's...what more proof do you need. (That's a statement, not a question.)
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Well, after 12 long years of faithful service my PC finally gave it's last breath this past weekend. It was the first polisher I ever owned that I got as a birthday gift from my parents when I was 15 (at that time it was to polish and wax their vehicles ). I've used it for corrections, AIO's, and laying down some wax over it's life and it was a fantastic tool.

I was thinking about investing in another one, but was wondering if it would be worth looking at the Rupes or FLEX line to get the job done. When I was detailing to make some extra money I was very close to purchasing a FLEX polisher, but that was about 3 years ago. Since that time I've stopped detailing as a side gig and have become mostly a weekend warrior keeping up on mine and my wife's car as well as the occasional friend who needed some help.

So... now... the question is: Since I only polish maybe 1-2 times a year and mostly use a machine to apply waxes and sealants, what would you recommend? I'm open to anything, and yes the price of the PC is great, but I have no problem investing in another tool that has fantastic quality.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    Did you change the brushes on your PC?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    After 12 years the statement above should tell you everything you need to know. I'd buy another PC7424xp, then save up enough money for any other polisher of your choosing, but I wouldn't be without my trusty Porter Cable. Twelve (12) years of hard use is nothing to sneeze at. That's reliability!

Take your own words, then consider how often Mike Phillips still recommends the Porter Cable of other similar DA's...what more proof do you need. (That's a statement, not a question.)

I'm in agreement with Hoytman.

I'm continually satisfied with the reliability and performance of the Porter Cable tool. I recently purchased a couple of 1st generation units from 2006, and 2007 and find them to be more than adequate. My first d/a is a 7424xp from 2010 that has been getting beat up since day one. The gg6 is said to have more power, but honestly, I never tried it.

The Flex 3401 is very smooth, despite the amount of power it has. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get the back plate speed from it that the Porter Cable would get me, so after repratedly setting it aside in favor of the PC, I eventually sold it. There are many people using the 3401 to great effect though. They've become masters of welding it's power, and it's the perfect fit for them. I do have a Flex PE14-2 rotary polisher, and that thing is a dream. Probably more muscle than you need though.

Then there is the Rupes Duetto.... I teamed it with a Rupes Mini, and that team has quickly become my "go to" outfitted with a selection of their pads and polishes. Like the Flex 3401, it's a much more refined machine compared to the PC. It takes less time for me to cut, polish, and seal than it the PC, and the 3401. Very smooth operating, and almost vibration free are other attributes of these machines.

If I were in your shoes though, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another PC.

You say it's dead. What's wrong with it?

Post Thanks / Like

I have both a PC7424 and a Flex 3401. If I had to own only one, it would be the Flex by a wide margin. I can correct a car in at least 1/2 the time with a Flex, which is valuable to me because running a polisher back and forth over clear coat is not my favorite activity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast