autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA 6" Polisher

Hey guys this might be a little off topic. But I have a quick question. So I had my polisher for a bit. And I decided to do the grease Change with the red Lube. Now it seems like after I did it. My polisher was acting a bit funky. I don't know if it's that I didn't add enough grease or if I added too much or didn't close it back tight enough. But I'm getting some serious vibrations and the motor doesn't run smooth like it did. Like the speeds don't stay steady. It will kind of lag a little and get back up to speed. Lag n speed up. I don't know what's up. Like it's off balance or something or maybe greased out. What could cause an issue like that

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having an issue removing the counterweight from the newer version. I wanted to replace the grease and have seen multiple videos on YouTube but those videos are on the older version. Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

help us help you. Post pics
    Paul - 2010 Malibu

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is most likely caused by corner cutting, cheap materials, no quality assurance, and half assed reverse engineering. Seriously, you can't expect this thing to perform. Get a real DA polisher. If customers have needed to crack it open and add grease for years just to get the thing to function reasonably well and the company doesn't even pay enough attention to have the factory add more grease (I can attest first hand that they are aware of the problem and simply do not even want to put the resource of a phone call/email towards fixing it), just think of all the other things that are crappy and they don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Biatchzxz View Post
    Hey guys this might be a little off topic. But I have a quick question. So I had my polisher for a bit. And I decided to do the grease Change with the red Lube. Now it seems like after I did it. My polisher was acting a bit funky. I don't know if it's that I didn't add enough grease or if I added too much or didn't close it back tight enough. But I'm getting some serious vibrations and the motor doesn't run smooth like it did. Like the speeds don't stay steady. It will kind of lag a little and get back up to speed. Lag n speed up. I don't know what's up. Like it's off balance or something or maybe greased out. What could cause an issue like that

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a Harbor Freight polisher, and most likely never will, as living in Canada pretty much makes the commute to the nearest Harbor Freight store a non-event.

I will point out, however, that there are production polishing professionals (see Gary Dean) who use the HF polisher day in and day out. His last one went for 2 years. There are also people who have done Youtube videos comparing the HF with the Porter Cable (see 9thgenaccord), and found that the HF has more power than the PC, but it vibrates a little more. Over and above that, there is a guy (I don't recall his name) who actually took one apart and examined every part in detail, and was pretty surprised that the parts quality was extremely good for the price, and good regardless of price.

I have never used a HF polisher, and due to my location, most likely never will. I do own a PC and a Flex 3401, so I don't have a dog in this fight. It does appear from the many, many videos on Youtube regarding the HF polisher that it is a usable tool that can correct paint, and lasts a reasonable amount of time. Gary Dean did replace his after two years, true, but he probably does more details in a week than most home detailers do in a year, and he did NOT re-grease his HF polisher. He has also made the point that you may want to get the extended warranty, which will get you a replacement polisher should yours fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    I don't have a Harbor Freight polisher, and most likely never will, as living in Canada pretty much makes the commute to the nearest Harbor Freight store a non-event.

I will point out, however, that there are production polishing professionals (see Gary Dean) who use the HF polisher day in and day out. His last one went for 2 years. There are also people who have done Youtube videos comparing the HF with the Porter Cable (see 9thgenaccord), and found that the HF has more power than the PC, but it vibrates a little more. Over and above that, there is a guy (I don't recall his name) who actually took one apart and examined every part in detail, and was pretty surprised that the parts quality was extremely good for the price, and good regardless of price.

I have never used a HF polisher, and due to my location, most likely never will. I do own a PC and a Flex 3401, so I don't have a dog in this fight. It does appear from the many, many videos on Youtube regarding the HF polisher that it is a usable tool that can correct paint, and lasts a reasonable amount of time. Gary Dean did replace his after two years, true, but he probably does more details in a week than most home detailers do in a year, and he did NOT re-grease his HF polisher. He has also made the point that you may want to get the extended warranty, which will get you a replacement polisher should yours fail.
    The one Garry replaced fell off an R.V.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Harbor Freight compatible with the standard 3" back plates? Thinking about getting one to be a dedicated 3" DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
    Is the Harbor Freight compatible with the standard 3" back plates? Thinking about getting one to be a dedicated 3" DA.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I hear you. Your approach is a reasonable one, but the PC and GG6 are so much better in quality, and you'll get a lifetime warranty with the GG6. Both the PC and GG will do everything a hobbyist needs and more. You won't be wasting your money, because as custmsprty stated, it's not just the DA polisher you'll be getting: pads, cleaners, polishes. In the end, the percentage of money you save by going with the HF will dwindle when compared to the PC or GG.

BUT, if you want to avoid what happened to me (innocently bought a GG6...then a Rupes 15...then a Flex....then a Rupes Mini), then stick with the HF!!!!
    By the time you add a backing plate, counter wight, etc, and getting a 30 day warranty, you can get the Griots garage 8mm 6" polisher for a little bit more.. I've had one since 2008, and it's still running strong. And, under warranty! Sometimes, cheap is damn expensive!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
    Yes, you can use it with 3,4,5,6 inch backing plates. They all will have the same spindle bolt size.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast