autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help..weird windshield film

Brand new Passat. Had some rain today and instead of beading up, the rain seemed to sheet or almost smear. I took some 205 to it by hand when I got home, but upon using some Meg's glass cleaner, it still seemed to smear and had a rainbow effect.

I know it's nothing major, but any insight or a cure? I've considered polishing it lightly with a white pad this weekend, but would love your feedback/insight.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help..weird windshield film

Are you sure it doesn't have some factory coating on it like Lexus used to have on some windows? Have you checked your owner's manual?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe clean the rubber blades as a start .

Post Thanks / Like

I've used various detail sprays on my cars. Ultimate Quik Detailer comes to mind. I had a terrible build up on my windshield and I ended up using an all wheel and tire cleaner. If you have a carefully waxed car, be gentle and try to stay on the windshield if you decide to use it. I had great success with it. But check your manual as Setec mentioned.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

I found a very reliable fix that combines a few things but has resulted in perfection for me and our vehicles.

What you will need:

• Bar Keepers Friend. You'll find it in the cleaning supplies of a hardware or grocery. It's a cleanser of sort.
    • Microfiber pad or rags (3) - 2 pads and 1 Clean MF Rag
    • Denatured Alcohol
    • BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant or Optimum Opti-Seal - I like Blackfire and fine it better overall for paint and for this fix

Proceedure:

1. Start by washing and using a microfiber pad or a small peice of MF cut from a rag you may have with Bar Keepers Friend to scrub and strip the windshield of all the crap that is built up. This really does a great job of clearing off the debris, bugs, gum/sap, oils, etc.
    2. Wipe the glass dry and then use another peice of MF or another pad and wipe it down really good with Denatured Alcohol. This will insure 100% of everything left is gone. The glass will be completely virgin and clean. Wipe it dry completely and insure it's clean and streak free.
    3. Lastly, apply 2 coats of the sealers I've noted. They go on ultra thin and if you've not used them before, they are truely clear and essentially evaporate as they self level. If it's warm it will take just a minute, if it's below 50* it could take 5. After that grab a clean MF cloth and wipe / buff any excess left and you will have a completely sealed and squeak/skip proof windshield.

I've found that this technique is perfect and does not wear down easily like many other treatments. I do reapply it on a regular basis as I use both the above sealants on my car every 2-3 washes. They are so, so, so very nice and work great. Like liquid lube on your car if it's detailed and corrected. Work the same on windows.

Now the one difference you will notices is that the product does not "sheet" away water like a hydrophobic coating but it does bead up allowing the wipers to do their job without streaking or skipping.

Hope this helps you and do post back your results. I just did my wife's van and she noticed instantly that her wipers are nearly silent and seem to float across her windows.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Found this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oily-film.html

This is exactly what I am experiencing, and it seems like this member did not find a solution. Frustrating. Thinking maybe a glass restorer like DP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BTLew81 View Post
    Found this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oily-film.html

This is exactly what I am experiencing, and it seems like this member did not find a solution. Frustrating. Thinking maybe a glass restorer like DP.
    Thats me, It still continued and never actually went away....also a VW...lol

I did however change my wipers, so at least in the rain I could see clearly and drive safe. But during washes or when it was pouring and the car was parked....it would just sheet, albeit very very very slowly (2-3 minutes to fully sheet off).

Since then I have sold the car, and could not be happier :P

I know that doesnt help, But i did try rubbing M205 and even ultimate compound by hand and had no luck. I wanted to try busting out the flex and polishing pad too, but after changing the wipers I didn't bother.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BTLew81 View Post
    it seems like this member did not find a solution.
    problem likely lies in the holding tank in his car. In my last car I had problems and removed the tank and was shocked to find it gummed up with crap. Best I could tell it was residue from the 2x and 3x versions of Rain X fluid.

After cleaning it out and switching back to the standard blue stuff and using my above process I've had zero issues with any of our vehicles.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Not encouraging...lol I may hit it with the buffer, as it seems like it is all windows. A hand polish and IPA wipe didnt seem to do much. Either polish or a strong paint cleaner. More annoying than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

My 14 RX350 had a similar issue. The crud was on the windshield and not the rest of the glass. It looked like someone spilled a coating and let it dry. Lexus corporate advised that they have no factory applied coating on the windshield but do on the side glass. They also said that some local dealerships may apply something and suggested I take it back to the dealer for inspection. I tried several glass cleaners and finally resorted to #205 with a polishing pad on my DA which worked like a charm.

Funny thing is that the paint, which was smooth and shiny, (baggie test smooth) felt grabby when initially polishing. I had to use 205 on the paint to loose that grabby feel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast