autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ONR & Road Salt

Post Thanks / Like

ONR & Road Salt

With all the snow recently it is inevitable there will be many questions about whether it is safe to do a rinseless (ONR) wash when a car is covered in salt.

The salt was not dry granules when it became attached to the surface of the vehicle. It was dissolved in water. By simply wetting the car and keeping it wet long enough for the salt to re-dissolve the solution becomes completely aqueous again, becoming no more likely to scratch than plain water. Once the polymers in a rinseless wash are added it becomes safer than plain water. A wash using a standard foaming shampoo adds no additional safety other than sheer volume. There may be other reasons to warrant a preliminary rinse such as when sand is used to treat the roads. Simply use common sense and a little extra caution and maybe warm water in your wash bucket and you are good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR & Road Salt

I take it you just saw this on FB like I did.... lol

Post Thanks / Like

No. Actually, I wrote it.

Post Thanks / Like

Try it and see,then let us know the end results.

Post Thanks / Like

I already know the results. I have done it many times. The question comes up often and, with the recent weather, this is the perfect time to help educate people on the benefits and capabilities of rinseless washes. When used properly ONR and other rinseless washes are as safe or safer than traditional foaming car shampoos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    I already know the results. I have done it many times. The question comes up often and, with the recent weather, this is the perfect time to help educate people on the benefits and capabilities of rinseless washes. When used properly ONR and other rinseless washes are as safe or safer than traditional foaming car shampoos.

^^ This. i just ONR'd my S4 last night and finished up the rear bumper correction. The rest of the car was already 100% perfect and even after a salt blasting from our roads here in Central Ohio a simple bath in my garage with proper technique and she is still perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Try it and see,then let us know the end results.
    The process and outcome from a No Rinse isn't much different from a bucket wash and I agree with Nth Degree that it's actually much safer. In a traditional wash the soap and sponge you're using isn't any better than a safe NR Wash. If anything it's misleading to feel it is. FWIW, Central Ohio uses a ton of sand too.

You can actually test the theory simply by correcting two doors of your car, wash one as you normally would with a bucket and sponge and the other with the proper technique no-rinse. Use opposite direction wipes and see for yourself which one comes out in need of correction.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    ^^ This. i just ONR'd my S4 last night and finished up the rear bumper correction. The rest of the car was already 100% perfect and even after a salt blasting from our roads here in Central Ohio a simple bath in my garage with proper technique and she is still perfect.

The process and outcome from a No Rinse isn't much different from a bucket wash and I agree with Nth Degree that it's actually much safer. In a traditional wash the soap and sponge you're using isn't any better than a safe NR Wash. If anything it's misleading to feel it is. FWIW, Central Ohio uses a ton of sand too.

You can actually test the theory simply by correcting two doors of your car, wash one as you normally would with a bucket and sponge and the other with the proper technique no-rinse. Use opposite direction wipes and see for yourself which one comes out in need of correction.
    The promblem I would have is a timing issue,I would rather wash it the traditional way and be done with it and take care of the paint in spring time.after all the careful hrs of wiping each panel with a lot of finesse,you will still enhance or do some polishing work in the spring.so what I'm saying is make your life easier with the washing and just detail it later on.If you like doing that then do it this is just a personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

No Rinse® Wash & Shine directly replaces soap in a bucket. So if you wouldn't touch a wash mitt was so to the surface without prerinse, then do the same with no directly replaces soap in a bucket. So if you wouldn't touch a mitt and soap the surface without prerinse, then do the same with onr. No rinse in the name refers to no rinsing needed as you wash...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    The promblem I would have is a timing issue,I would rather wash it the traditional way and be done with it and take care of the paint in spring time.after all the careful hrs of wiping each panel with a lot of finesse,you will still enhance or do some polishing work in the spring.so what I'm saying is make your life easier with the washing and just detail it later on.If you like doing that then do it this is just a personal preference.
    For those in places where the temps remain below freezing or those who live in apartments without access to water and facilities a standard wash isn't always an option.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their methods but to reassure those who question the safety that it can be done safely and provides a better option than taking it to a Tunnel-O-Horrors.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just experienced WU rinseless for the first time. I can't believe I've been not using this product or any rinseless in the past. It's a life savor, especially in the winter. This is a product that wowed me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast