autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?

I have searched all over, not just on this site but all sites via google. It seems this is a very difficult discussion to come to a conclusion on a product.

I just purchased a 2013 Infiniti G37xs with only 19,000 miles.

The car comes with high gloss maplewood trim. It is genuine wood with a clear coating for protection. In direct sunlight there is many tiny little scratches on the clear coating.

What product can I utilize, by hand, that will take off these small scratches without harming the finish?

I have seen all sort of commets from klasse AIO to Meguiars Plastx, Scratchx 2.0 to Autosol Plastic Cleaner. One person has luck with one product then the other person scratches the finish more then it was, with the same product. Mine does not have terrible scratches, so I would hate to scratch it up by just trying to take off the slight scratches it already has.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?

Test spot for product starting with least agressive. In a few months rupes I bird will be my tool for this correction but for now the way I've been doing for quite some time...
    Craig Embro
    KosmetikWerks Pro Detail

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are very fine hairline scratches.

kosmetikwerks, is the one your working on just very fine hairline scratches from day to day driving? If so, what is the least abrasive product do you utilize?

Also, what is that item on the end of your drill that you are using? That looks very intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a foam tip.

Post Thanks / Like

For 50 bucks I would just buy a new one,that tool for sure will polish but highly doubt remove scratches,try it by hand and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a 04 merc sl500 125k on her so it needed some correction. Previous owner had it since new (female) long nails and wore a watch on her right hand.

Few years back a supplier of hi-buff came to me with these dowels with tips on the end of them.. I asked what the hell are these for.. He said what ever you can use them for hi-buff is sick of throwing out spent foam from the middles of their rotary pads. So I took in a bag of yellow(cut) green(lightcut) blue(polish) and white (finishing). My only use really has been interior trim via drill.

Works well. Heavy correction you have to work it quite a bit but light correction works great. I used green with fg400 fixed what I needed it to.
    Craig Embro
    KosmetikWerks Pro Detail

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    For 50 bucks I would just buy a new one,that tool for sure will polish but highly doubt remove scratches,try it by hand and see what happens.
    What are you referring to as "50 bucks? As in, buy a new wood panel from from Infiniti? I am showing this part is $1,002.75 MSRP and online price of $735.57, Or was there a product you were mentioning? Is there a reason you do not think this would work?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kosmetikwerks View Post
    That was a 04 merc sl500 125k on her so it needed some correction. Previous owner had it since new (female) long nails and wore a watch on her right hand.

Few years back a supplier of hi-buff came to me with these dowels with tips on the end of them.. I asked what the hell are these for.. He said what ever you can use them for hi-buff is sick of throwing out spent foam from the middles of their rotary pads. So I took in a bag of yellow(cut) green(lightcut) blue(polish) and white (finishing). My only use really has been interior trim via drill.

Works well. Heavy correction you have to work it quite a bit but light correction works great. I used green with fg400 fixed what I needed it to.
    Craig,

Do you have any of these for sale? When the sun hits it, the light-scratches do not look so "light" any more. If this would work as a correction, I would like to purchase if you have it for sale.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After done research for hours, I came to the conclusion to buy Scratch X 2.0, my BMW X3 not only had scratches but it had two noticeable crazy glue damage spots. I used a nail file for shine and gave circular motion movements on the damaged spot, after the surface was smooth I applied the Scratch X 2.0 with a microfiber towel for a few seconds and removed it with the dry side of the towel, I repeated this step twice. Keep in mind that if you don't have any significant damage like I did all you do is use the Scratch X 2.0 around the trim, the results are immediate and there is no damage to the wood. Best of luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?-fullsizerender-jpg   How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?-img_4309-jpg   How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?-img_4350-jpg   How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?-1-260x260-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine buffing it with a compound. The polyurethane finish is pretty tough. I have buffed out a lot of conference tables at work with a Makita and some 3M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?-buffing-tables2-jpg   How to take slight scratches off wood trim interior?-buffing-tables-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast