autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Black wax and Sealant

Last year, before really diving into the hobby, I did a test between on OTC black wax and Mothers Synwax. the test was on the hood of a black trailblazer ss. So many rock chips it is like gazing into the milky way.

I noticed an immediate difference and the half done with the black wax looked much darker. And it stayed darker for quite a few weeks as I recall. So I thought, there's something there for these daily drivers battered with 150k miles of road scars that have areas really close to repaint time.

Fast forward a couple years and I've cut and polished the truck with Menzerna FG400/SF4000 and applied PL for sealant. I have about 5 or 6 wax options in the shop to choose from for a topper: Souveran Paste, Souveran Liquid, Souveran spray, CG 5050, CG Black, Duragloss Spray, and a couple others I cant think of.

Anyways, here's the question. Does anyone know if a color wax will have the same darkening affect when applied over a sealant?? Logically, I'm thinking the black wax wants to get down into the swirls, tiny rock chips, etc.... almost like a glaze (or maybe exactly like a glaze?). So I'm not sure if the sealant would not allow it to work correctly.

While searching for similar posts, I read a little about Collinite 845 as a wax sealer. Maybe the black wax should go right on the clearcoat and topped with that. But I've already got the PL on, so thats really what I'm directing this question towards.

Thanks all!

2006 Z51 C6 - 398ci LS3, TEA LS3 Heads, Callies, Diamond 9.5:1, Procharger F1C, A&A IC, Aeromotive Eliminator, ID1000, RPM TR6060 & RPM Z06 Diff, Penske 6200

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black wax and Sealant

What black wax are you referring to?

Post Thanks / Like

Sealant should be applied first if you subscribe to layering. Not quite sure if your asking if the "colored" wax will help cover chips, if so I've never seen it. A test spot is the way to reach any other conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What black wax are you referring to?
    I have CG Black that I'd like to try. I did the test a couple years ago with OTC Turtle wax black.

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Sealant should be applied first if you subscribe to layering. Not quite sure if your asking if the "colored" wax will help cover chips, if so I've never seen it. A test spot is the way to reach any other conclusions.
    During testing mentioned in OP, it didn't necessarily cover chips like touch up paint, it did seem to darken them so the "light" color of the chips was less apparent and the hood looked "blacker" on the half that was waxed with the TW black wax. Whereas the Synwax side looked fair, but not as dark. Color wax also made a noticeable difference on the rockers behind the wheels that are littered with rock chips.

My question is, if anyone might have knowledge (maybe have talked to a manufacturer or first hand experience), whether the intended purpose of a black wax (or any color wax) would be negated by applying it over sealant as opposed to applying direct to clearcoat.

I could probably extend the question to include glazes. Are glazes intended to be applied direct to paint, thus their intended purpose (filling swirls, etc) is reduced when applying over a sealant.

2006 Z51 C6 - 398ci LS3, TEA LS3 Heads, Callies, Diamond 9.5:1, Procharger F1C, A&A IC, Aeromotive Eliminator, ID1000, RPM TR6060 & RPM Z06 Diff, Penske 6200

Post Thanks / Like

Just a FYI. The one thing that I noticed immediately after applying Collinite 915 was that the paint looked a little darker. I know you did not state anything about 915 but you can keep it in your memory bank.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb496 View Post
    My question is, if anyone might have knowledge (maybe have talked to a manufacturer or first hand experience), whether the intended purpose of a black wax (or any color wax) would be negated by applying it over sealant as opposed to applying direct to clearcoat.
    I haven't talked directly to any manufacturers
    of "Black Waxes"; or ever asked them about
    these particular products intended purposes.

However:
    Just going on your experience where you
    stated that an OTC Black Wax had created
    a notable darkening (of the ClearCoat), then,
    this is what could be concluded...but not
    necessarily be true:

If a product, labeled as being a Black Wax, has
    the ability to darken cured ClearCoat-paint, it
    should also, just as easily: darken an LSP such
    as a Sealant.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I personally don't see how a "Black Wax" can,
    somehow, actually dye cured ClearCoat-paint
    in order to make it appear to be darkened.

How many different hues and tones of
    Black car paint, (let alone other car paint
    colors), are out there that any of the
    Color Waxes will actually "match up with"?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    I haven't talked directly to any manufacturers
    of "Black Waxes"; or ever asked them about
    these particular products intended purposes.

However:
    Just going on your experience where you
    stated that an OTC Black Wax had created
    a notable darkening (of the ClearCoat), then,
    this is what could be concluded...but not
    necessarily be true:

If a product, labeled as being a Black Wax, has
    the ability to darken cured ClearCoat-paint, it
    should also, just as easily: darken an LSP such
    as a Sealant.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I personally don't see how a "Black Wax" can,
    somehow, actually dye cured ClearCoat-paint
    in order to make it appear to be darkened.

How many different hues and tones of
    Black car paint, (let alone other car paint
    colors), are out there that any of the
    Color Waxes will actually "match up with"?

Bob
    I see your point and agree with your logic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I think the color wax is more like applying a tinted wax. As I recall it was very translucent, but you could see the light coloring in it when was on a light applicator or over-spread on chrome trim. Very subtle coloring.

I think I'll try the CG Black over the PL. Maybe I'll do another half n half test for sake of science. Nothing really to lose. I'm getting it ready to sell and trying give her a little extra pretty. I did contemplate a glaze, to help it show better...but, I bought CG Black stuff earlier in the summer and figure I'll try it. So far I've been let down on every CG product I've purchased except their pads... but their marketing is AWESOME, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Just a FYI. The one thing that I noticed immediately after applying Collinite 915 was that the paint looked a little darker. I know you did not state anything about 915 but you can keep it in your memory bank.

Dave
    Thanks for mentioning it, I will keep it in mind.