autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Colorchip or Langka?

Hey everyone, tried to do some searching on this but I didn't really get any results. If there is already a thread, I apologize. I was curious what people prefer for filling slightly deeper rock chips. I'm looking to do this on my 05 STI
    Trent
    PRD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Colorchip or Langka?

I'm hoping you get some good responses because I'm wondering the same. I'd like to fill some deep chips in single stage black paint and am wondering if there's a system for that purpose. I don't know if factory touch-up paint is even available in my case, though it presumably is for your STI.

Post Thanks / Like

here is one more to consider but I have not seen ANY reviews on this product.
    I could definitely use the putty they supply in a couple of gouges in the plastic moulding that I have got.

Automotive Touch Up Paint | Deep Scratch Repair Kit | Bumper Repair

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard of that one but if anyone has any thoughts on that product or any others, please feel free to throw it into the mix
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me the scratch wizard is a small tube of 3M glazing spot putty (same red color) and a touch up paint and small brush.

The only thing to find might be a leveler that wipes off the putty cleanly. So you can leave the putty in the chip without sanding.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I remember Langka is more for filling chips and Dr. Colorchip works best on road rash the leading edges (front) generally suffer from.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoorOwner View Post
    here is one more to consider but I have not seen ANY reviews on this product.
    I could definitely use the putty they supply in a couple of gouges in the plastic moulding that I have got.

Automotive Touch Up Paint | Deep Scratch Repair Kit | Bumper Repair
    Thanks for the link, PoorOwner. Just placed an order. Langka does not show anything for the single stage paint on my Ferrari and the Scratch Wizard kit is only $37 shipped (they don't even gouge you on shipping!), so it's cheaper than Dr. Colorchip. Considering I'm trying to repair fairly deep pigtails that go all the way into the primer which were left by an incompetent with a buffer at some point in the car's past, Scratch Wizard seems like a fairly inexpensive experiment.

I'll try to remember to post feedback but it won't be any time very soon since I have too many other projects on the table to rush on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Thanks for the link, PoorOwner. Just placed an order. Langka does not show anything for the single stage paint on my Ferrari and the Scratch Wizard kit is only $37 shipped (they don't even gouge you on shipping!), so it's cheaper than Dr. Colorchip. Considering I'm trying to repair fairly deep pigtails that go all the way into the primer which were left by an incompetent with a buffer at some point in the car's past, Scratch Wizard seems like a fairly inexpensive experiment.

I'll try to remember to post feedback but it won't be any time very soon since I have too many other projects on the table to rush on this one.
    Pigtails are caused by improper sanding...NOT by buffing

Please post some pictures of the defects you are referring to

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    Pigtails are caused by improper sanding...NOT by buffing

Please post some pictures of the defects you are referring to
    From what I can tell, the car was buffed with an old style cotton bonnet with an exposed arbor, and it was the arbor that did the damage. Perhaps that is not called a pigtail in the detailing world, but that's what it looks like to me. In any case, I've found plenty of evidence that at some point the car was buffed by someone who had no clue what he was doing.

Not that any of this has any relevance to the original topic...

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I hope that didnt happen under your ownership! Id send a lynch mob to that detailer lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast