autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Combining Inline softener and deionizer?

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has done this setup - adding the inline softener filter from AGO to the CR Spotless or GG Deionizer systems? In my search I've seen it suggested but never anyone with a review of how it actually goes together.

I have massively hard water at my house (550-650ppm on avg) and go through resin in my existing deionizer super fast. Since changing the huge bag is majorly expensive (not to mention time consuming) I was wondering if others have done this to get added life out of their DI water and simply replace the easier inline resin?

Also, if anyone has used the inline filter, does it have to be mounted or could I just strap it to the existing cart with my DI tanks?

Thanks for any help or experiences with this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Combining Inline softener and deionizer?

do a search online about recharging DI resin, all you need is muriatic acid and lye. I recharged my homemade system multiple times for under 20$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaFawnduh View Post
    Wondering if anyone has done this setup - adding the inline softener filter from AGO to the CR Spotless or GG Deionizer systems? In my search I've seen it suggested but never anyone with a review of how it actually goes together.

I have massively hard water at my house (550-650ppm on avg) and go through resin in my existing deionizer super fast.
    Unfortunately this won't work. The problem with the concept is that a softener is an ion exchange process, so you will exchange your hardness ions for sodium or potassium ions...but the resultant soft water will still be loaded with the same number of ions it had when it was hard. Your deionizer will then remove those ions and be depleted in the same amount of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Combining Inline softener and deionizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Unfortunately this won't work. The problem with the concept is that a softener is an ion exchange process, so you will exchange your hardness ions for sodium or potassium ions...but the resultant soft water will still be loaded with the same number of ions it had when it was hard. Your deionizer will then remove those ions and be depleted in the same amount of time.

This is the right answer...Or sort of....You may get a bit more out of the resin if the water was pre-softened. Mixed bed DI resin works on ion exchange based on polarity of the ion (charge). I'm totally going off the top of my head here, but since Na+ & K+ are monovalent cations, and Ca++ is divalent. - the resin may hold more individual ions of Na+ & K+ (CL) than Ca++.

So if your water is "salty" or "sodium rich", it may be easier to soften than calcium rich water.

But, this is all theory. Unless there is a skilled inorganic chemist out there - who knows???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you're right, I simplified it a little. He'd probably be using NaCl rather than KCl, but remember there is some Mg as well as the Ca in the hard water. IIRC the mixed bed is doing ion exchange in the first resin and removal in the second.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I remember thinking about doing this with my CR, running my softened water into it, but either I did it and it didn't help, or I decided it wouldn't help so I didn't do it, or someone told me it wouldn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Gents. Saves me some money on a filter for use on resin or chemical recharge.