autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First DA and problems with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

Bought a Porter and pads a few weeks ago, along with three Wolfgang products - DG Sealant, Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze (which I understand is not really a glaze, but has some slight cutting ability making it a solid second stage product.)

Bought them for a 2014 Torch Red Mustang that has bad swirl marks but a beautiful paint job.

Anyway, I thought I would experiment on my son's really dogged-out white Nissan, which has years of bird droppings, oak stains, pollen stains - you name it. It was as bad as the worst car you see on the road. But it appeared there was still some clear left.

So I washed and clayed it (what came off with the clay was unbelievable) and then did my first round with the Porter with some Meg's Compound and orange pads. I had studied the videos pretty well, so I have a good idea of how to use it.

The result was unbelievable. The car looked brand new. But I notice a lot of you guys use a light polish for a second stage after the compounding or swirl remover to correct any defects left by the compounding or heavy polish.

But after the compounding, this car looked like it was ready for a last stage product. You know how white cars are. But I thought I would ahead and apply the glaze 'cause I was definitely gonna use it on the Mustang and I paid a lot of money for that stuff.

What a mess. The directions online here are a tad confusing. One says apply to the car and the photos say apply to the pad. But when I did a test area, it just really smeared, even after several passes, and it was really hard to get off. I was using a LC 5.5 Blue smooth foam pad.

The amount I put on the pad was a thin bead around the edge. So I wiped off as best I could, waited for an hour and then hit the area with the compound and it all came off.

But what am I doing wrong? There is not a ton of reviews on this product, and if I had to do it over again, I would probably use the Menzerna twins or a paintwork cleanser. But I really wanna just throw that Glaze in the garbage or send it back for a refund.

What did I do wrong? Should I have gone ahead with the sealant after the compounding? What's the theory on that? Can I just use the swirl remover on the Mustang and go straight to a LSP?

I noticed that when I applied the compound, the product pretty much dried after a few passes and was easy to wipe off. Not so with this product. I mean I made several passes at a 3.5 or a 4 on the DA and it never really got to that point where you can take it off. It just smeared when I wiped it.

Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First DA and problems with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

It actually sounds as if you used way too much product.

You are aware that Wolfgang Finishing Glaze removes sanding grit up to 2500 so it's very fine.

I always apply product to the pad and work either indoors or in the shade..

Try using less product and instead of a blue pad go with the gray.

I've used this product more times than I can remember and have never had an issue...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is either too much product used and or you didnt break down the polish enough. It has a long play time, needs to be worked till its almost clear.

Post Thanks / Like

I use WG finishing glaze with the grey pad with great results for that type of application. Maybe 4 pea size drops per panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much product IMO. If you want to do a quick reduction in the product, rather then apply more product spritz the pad with a QD and then do a few passes. You will be working the stuff left in the pad. Additionally, you will be redducing the product to where you can do affective polishing. Try that
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with what's already been mentioned...too much polish and/or maybe not worked long enough. The first will complicate the second a bit. I make an "X" pattern with thin beads for the first pass on a fresh, clean pad. And by thin beads, spaghetti thin. When i use my PC there is no speed less than 5 and it's a pretty loonngggg work time. I wait for it to just turn clear and wipe off is almost effortless. My next section gets 3-4 small pea sized drops about 2/3 out from the center of the pad.

If you used too much product it would be a ridiculously long time to turn clear.

From the product description on AG, it reads very similar to my old Menzerna 203. You are right that it is perfectly positioned to use after a compounding and i loved that stuff for either a second cut or even a 1 step cut/polish. I've never experienced what you describe but again, maybe try it again with a clean black pad, less product and work until just clear. Proper lighting helps you see it turn "just clear" and keep in mind it may take longer than what you initially gave it this time.

Let us know if you try it again.