autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Nanoskin sponge?

I decided to try the Nanoskin sponge rather than clay, question can I use it while washing the car with soap rather than a separate process with a lube? If not can I use QD as a lube?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: Nanoskin sponge?

You can but i personally wouldn't do that because of the dirt and stuff on the paint that a good wash first rids. I like to remove all the heavy dirt with a wash first and then let the nanoskin simply work on the stuff still stuck to the paint after that. The thought of grinding road dirt under the nano material is asking for scratches.

I use it like the second wash. I foam up the car again and then run my nanoskin glove over the paint that is now much cleaner avoiding any grinding of larger grit on the paint. Others use a good lubricant like QD as you asked.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried using the sponges on multiple different ways. I felt like I got more marring when using the wash method (this was a secondary wash after a full wash to get rid of lose dirt). My guess is there may not have been enough lube in the wash.

What I find works best now is after a wash and quick dry to remove most water, I use Meguiars D114 (rinseless wash) diluted at 1:30 and it's works very nicely. Also much more economical than a dedicated QD if you're doing a lot of cars.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I used QD as lube, but rinsed the sponge in a rinseless wash mix and used some of that as lube also. Seemed to work ok for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I clean the car dry it and then use a higher concentration mixture of Rinse less wash (Pinnacle Rinse less with carnauba) and spray the panels liberally with it. I dry the panel off with a MF towel and go to the next panel. IMO this is one of the better ways.

Works well for me that way.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the towel form and wash and before I dry I use the towel with lube, then rinse and dry. I don't know if I trust the sponge setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    I use the towel form and wash and before I dry I use the towel with lube, then rinse and dry. I don't know if I trust the sponge setup.
    Whats so different about the sponge? Isn't the nano material basically the same in all media forms?

Post Thanks / Like

Using the Sponge, the towel or their pad, one thing is for sure; once you get the technique down, you will never use clay again or have it as a back up (I do).

You save so much time using the Nanoskin. No need to replace if you drop the sponge or kneading it like clay. Just spray and go.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I tried one of two nanoskin medium sponges I just recently bought on my Kia earlier.

I went by what many seemed to say to break such in on glass first before paint. So I said "let's just do the glass as a test of product"?

With a mixture of Nano Glide 1-7 tried the windshield first. Had plastic baggie in hand to test the differences before-after.

Nada! No difference. I tried again on the passenger 1/2. Nada again!? Two thorough rubdowns.

First time, virtually no pressure, second time a bit more down pressure. No joy. How much firmness must one use when using?

Out came the 0000 Steel Wool, and still using the Nano-Glide as lube, then did get off whatever was stuck to all glass.

Have no idea what this was, some durable paint overspray, or some sort of sap?

Was hoping the Nano-Sponge, particularly the medium grade would be more effective than clay in my instance, but it appears not.

Little doubt that what was all over my glass is all over my paint too, and I obviously of course cannot take 0000 steel wool to paint finish.

Post Thanks / Like

My car is new so probably doesn't take much but I love the sponges. they work for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast