autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration

I've seen a lot of articles here on the topic but I haven't seen a headlight with this specific issue. Doesn't look like general foggyness, it's more like a layer has deteriorated. There is a noticable ridge down to the damaged area when I feel it. What would your approach be to correcting this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration

more than likely you will have to get some 1200 grit sanpaper to know that out. not sure what products you so i will tell what i would use with what i have. after the 1200 grit i would put my green wool pad on my dewalt rotary and use HT 357 the hit with 3m foam finishing pad with OPTIMUM polish. run rotary at about 1000-1200 rpm's for both steps

or you can take a look at this post
    A quick headlight restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Well .... lets just say that a new Ferrari 430 Spyder was delivered to me last week. In that week I would have drove it by all those previous girlfriends who said I would never make it

Post Thanks / Like

I have a video showing how to restore light with the (uv?) coating flaking off but haven't had a chance to finish it yet.

Like detailgod & jesselyons2002 said you are going to need to wetsand then polish to restore them. They are past the point of polish restoration.

Here are pics of the lights I restored:

Before:

After 1000 & 3000 grit wetsanding:

After polishing with rotary (1500rpm/1200rpm)Menzerna SIP & 106FF and 4" LC pads:

Make sure to apply a good sealant regularly after restoring them to prevent discoloration in the future.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesselyons2002 View Post
    Good step by step.. That lays it right out for me. I'll pickup some sandpaper next time I'm in town and post the outcome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon View Post
    I have a video showing how to restore light with the (uv?) coating flaking off but haven't had a chance to finish it yet.

Like detailgod & jesselyons2002 said you are going to need to wetsand then polish to restore them. They are past the point of polish restoration.

Make sure to apply a good sealant regularly after restoring them to prevent discoloration in the future.
    I've picked up some good tips from your site. Will be on the lookout for that vid.

Anyone notice if the headlights cloud faster than before once you have sanded that original layer off? I understand changing direction for each grit but would a small mouse sander speed up the process and would you still need to go in different directions?

Post Thanks / Like

they will cloud up if you dont protect them....as for the mouse sander, i use one when i restore headlights
    2001 VW Jetta 1.8T Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like

I have had to do this a few times before as well. Just finished up doing this on the wifes van. I talked to my paint and body man and he suggested that I have them cleared. On most of the custom jobs that he has done he will clear the lights. After that they can be polished just like the rest of the car and he tells me that you will never have to worry about them getting this way again. I guess I will just have to wait and see if he is right on this one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfowkes View Post
    I have had to do this a few times before as well. Just finished up doing this on the wifes van. I talked to my paint and body man and he suggested that I have them cleared. On most of the custom jobs that he has done he will clear the lights. After that they can be polished just like the rest of the car and he tells me that you will never have to worry about them getting this way again. I guess I will just have to wait and see if he is right on this one.
    I guess this is clear coat they are spraying? aka. getting them 'cleared' or it is some kind of media. Looks like overspray all over the rest of the car though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_fKxt0l13A&NR=1]YouTube - HEADLIGHTS RESTORATION[/video]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try scrub it film by razor blade, then steelwool and then wipe by solvent or acetone.