autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads With Harbor Freight Dual Action

Hello All!
    I just picked up a Harbor Freight dual action and I plan on doing the Grease and Cord Mods.

My question is, what pads will i need for Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, and P21S Pure Carnuba?
    Also My Dad has a vehicle that has some swirls on it and I plan on using a meguiers swirl remover or compound, which pads would I use for those?

What size backing plate and pads should I use?

Sorry for the noob questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads With Harbor Freight Dual Action

I don't have any problems using the 6" backing plate that came with the HF. For more intricate areas I plan to get a 3" BP. I would suggest practicing on an old beater before you touch your dad's ride. I've used the blue and black pads from HF, they were 4.99 apiece, and I haven't noticed any issues so far when used with OPT GPS or M205. I just picked up a 6" Orange waffle pad from Optimum as well as some Hyper Compound. I'll use the Hyper Compound with the orange pad, and per Dr. G's recommendation, finish up with OPT GPS on the same orange pad. I'll let you know how it works out if you're interested.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

Post Thanks / Like
    I use LC 5.5" BP with LC Flat Orange and White pads for correction. I've had good results using the HF Black pads for applying wax/sealant. The other HF pads would eventually fall apart on me.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, HF pads don't last for me. At the on sale price they can just be thrown away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoshStud View Post
    Hello All!
    I just picked up a Harbor Freight dual action and I plan on doing the Grease and Cord Mods.

My question is, what pads will i need for Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, and P21S Pure Carnuba?
    Also My Dad has a vehicle that has some swirls on it and I plan on using a meguiers swirl remover or compound, which pads would I use for those?

What size backing plate and pads should I use?

Sorry for the noob questions...
    Get a 5.5" Lake Country backing plate, and then get some orange, white and [black OR blue pads]. The orange will take care of compounding, the white will take care of polishing/using an AIO, and the black or blue will do great with wax/sealant.

You can also either polishing the small areas by hand with a polishing pal or buy a 3.5" backing plate (3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.) and some 4" pads (Lake Country 4 inch Flat Foam Pads) as well.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I have had success with 6.5" LC CCS pads and 5.5" LC Flat Pads.

Orange-compounding

White-polishing

Black-LSP

I would HIGHLY recommend the 3.5" BP and 4" pads. They are great for bumpers and pillars.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tacket View Post
    I use LC 5.5" BP with LC Flat Orange and White pads for correction. I've had good results using the HF Black pads for applying wax/sealant. The other HF pads would eventually fall apart on me.
    +1 on this. Also have a 3 inch backing plate for 3.5 inch pads.

Post Thanks / Like

based on a several day research on this very topic, i come to the conclusion that for longevity sake the 5.5 backing plate would be one's best bet, the HF pads seem to work with mixed results varying across several forums i visited. if you like you ca pm me and i send you the links i got on the HF dual action, info mods etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Grab some quality plates and pads from Lake Country.

Varying sizes would be best. Since the HF tool is so cheap, IU would grab a second one and equip a larger plate such as the 5" with 5.5" pads for larger areas and the second one with a 3" plate and pads.

This way you will have a dedicated machine for its respective pad size without having to stop and change plate sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the LC backing plate and pad recomendations. I did the same thing and feel it works much better than the 6" plate and pads you get at their store.

As for the pad to match up with the products you listed, I'd use a white LC pad with the AIO, do the SG by hand, and then apply the PS21 with a black or blue LC pad.

For your dads car, I'd use the product and pad to take of the problem with the least amount of correction first, i.e. don't compound unless you have to. I'd use an LC orange pad with the compound, and a white pad with the polish. Since you're just starting this adventure I'd recommend Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. You can get great results from those products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast