autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat Pro, Gloss Coat, or CQuartzUK? Or some sort of combo?

So, last summer I started offering Opti Coat 2.0 to my customers as my first introduction to coatings (been detailing cars for a living for almost 9 years). I always marketed it as the 2.0 version and customers knew that they weren't getting the more expensive Pro version, but still an excellent product.

I started out with limited information on coatings and Opti-Coat as a brand, but over the course of the year, have learned more and decided this summer that I would expand my coating offerings and move up and also include the Pro stuff from Optimum. When I contacted OPT to become a Pro dealer, I was told that things were changing and I'd have to wait, and now those changes are apparent to all of us. So, now the decision to go Pro with Optimum is a little more difficult. Now I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth it for me to go Pro with the price increase, lowered warranty, minimum quota (I'm a small one man shop) and just all the over-hyped negativity toward Optimum online right now. I still like the idea, but these changes have caused me to second-guess myself. I'm also planning on moving my business from Seattle WA to Bend OR, so not sure if this would affect warranty issues or not, plus meeting a quota might be a little more difficult as I try to build the entire business in a new location. Any advice on this from guys who are currently Optimum Pro installers or have been in the past, or know more about coatings would be greatly appreciated.

If I decide to not pursue OptiCoat Pro, I figured I could continue with Gloss Coat and maybe also start offering CQuartz as another option, but I'm in a quandary here too as now price on Gloss Coat is almost twice as much as what OC 2.0 was and I can't advertise it as a permanent coating. I had been charging and additional $220 to add 2.0 onto a detail (for a medium-sized car), and that seemed about right for my market, so based on that, what kind of price would one suggest for a 2-yr product like Gloss Coat? I get that there are a lot of variables to pricing, so just looking for general advice on that if possible to see if it these are even going to make sense for me any more.

Thanks guys!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Cost of product goes up, then your price should go up accordingly. That is the only thing that makes sense in this situation (2.0 vs GC) IMO.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat Pro, Gloss Coat, or CQuartzUK? Or some sort of combo?

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Cost of product goes up, then your price should go up accordingly. That is the only thing that makes sense in this situation (2.0 vs GC) IMO.
    While I completely agree with this logic, and that's the way it should work, it seems unlikely that a price increase, or even keeping the same price (on my end) will be justified when the #1 selling point has been removed in the shift from 2.0 to GC. Most customers that go with OC 2.0 do do because of the longevity of it, and probably wouldn't notice a difference in added gloss or slickness, or that it can be topped - all of which are cool improvements, but just won't be appreciated by 99% of my customers.

How can you raise the price when the #1 selling point has been eliminated? That's why I'm stumped on where to turn.
    Dynamic Detailing

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

What do silverbacks charge in your area for regular details?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    What do silverbacks charge in your area for regular details?
    I guess I don't know what you're referring to as "silverbacks", my bad, sorry
    Dynamic Detailing

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorillas, monkies, hacks etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, my bad, I figured that's what you probably meant, but wasn't 100% sure.

There's guys that say they'll do "a full detail" for $100 or so, but who knows what that means and how well it's done.

I charge $205 for a full interior and wash/clay/AIO on a standard car as my "middle of the road" detail and it's about fair for the area.
    Dynamic Detailing

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

So based on the "lowest" prices, we could assume that shops will charge a lot more. However protection is most likely not what they focus on, so all you need to do is sell OC.

Post Thanks / Like

Shops so charge more, some more than me, most similar to me, but definitely much more than silverbacks.

I'm not sure though you made the jump from that brings fact that all I need to do us OC??? The majority of my customers aren't really interested in a $500 coating; up selling to a better wax or sealant is often difficult. How do you figure OC is all I need?
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also going to heading out of the OC game soon. Going to be selling DP PAINT coating and duragloss enviroshield. Not much taste for a $500 coating in my region.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast