autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To Collinite, or not to Collinite. That is the question.

Good morning, fellow Autogeeks!

Although winter is still quite a few months away, it never hurts to be prepared for winterizing my car's finish. I'm currently putting together what I'll need and begin winterizing when the moment's right.

I currently use Natty's Blue Paste, topped off with OCW after every wash. A stunning combo to be sure, but not that winter-proof. So I've been looking at adding Collinite 476 to my collection.

If anyone can provide feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've done web searches and the answers are split in regards to applying, removing and durability. Some say it's easy to apply and remove. Others say that it's difficult to work with. And others say that it's overrated and the durability is not up to par. Confusing to say the least.

What are your thoughts?
    It never fails. Whenever anything hits the windshield, it's always on the driver's side....and at eye level!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To Collinite, or not to Collinite. That is the question.

Not sure why anyone would say its durability is not up to par, and that it is over-rated. I think one would have to search long and hard to find a more durable paste wax.

I would assume just like any other LSP product, the trick to getting the most durability from it will be applying it to clean paint.

Same procedure as if applying a sealant, or even a coating. Clay, polish if needed, and a wipedown with something like Carpro Eraser, or a mild IPA Mixture sure wouldn't hurt.

Thin application. On white paint, it is a little hard to see going on, and one might over-apply. I would often look at an angle when applying to see where I've been. Whether Sponge, or MF Applicator, I always would dampen the applicator periodically as I went.

I commonly would start at he roof, then Hood, then just walk around the vehicle, and by the time I was finished applying, I was usually good to then begin removing where I first applied, then simply walk around the vehicle again and remove in the same order. The swipe test will tell you, but I always allowed some bit of cure, and drying time, never have applied, then immediately wiped off.

After all is off, I would usually go back again with another clean Towel insuring that all of it is removed.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try C845 instead as it is said to be easier to work with.
    I tested Sonax PolymerNetshield on a DD for 3 months and I look no further for durable LSPs any more. waxes are a whole different ballgame but for sealants, Sonax PNS is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shakabruddah808 View Post
    Good morning, fellow Autogeeks!
    And others say that it's overrated and the durability is not up to par. Confusing to say the least.
    I'm not sure where you came across that information. While not everybody like the products, it is still well respected. They seem to have a great reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by nubaseal View Post
    You could try C845 instead as it is said to be easier to work with.
    Agree since it's a liquid vs a paste. I say that only because I've applied 845 with my DA and it's super simple. I've not tried 476 since it's a paste. The only trick with 845 is to make sure it's warmed up properly and you shake it well enough to thoroughly mix it up.

I ran a daily driver with a single coat of 845 though last year's miserable mid-west winter. The car was caked in salt for long periods of time and occasionally cleaned with a touchless car wash. Miserable, tough conditions. Despite all that, there was still evidence of protection six months later.

According to Collinite's web site 476 is supposed to be even more durable that 845. If true, you should have no issues getting through winter.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure where the durability complaints come from but, I would guess it has something to do with what is applied prior to the Collinite. I have noticed that #915 does not last quite as long when I use it topping BlackLight.
    I have also noticed that its durability is limited when I use some shampoos like Citrus Wash and Gloss from CG. I know that now so I avoid it. In preparation for winter I use just #915 and I have zero issues with it lasting well beyond what winter has to offer here in central Ohio.
    Like my company on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSimmondsGroup

Post Thanks / Like

Good points about what types of shampoos-detergents and how strong the concentration to use after application. Basically holds true with any LSP.

#476 Collinite is a product which is very economical, consider that if you were to use #476 every 3-5 months, you will have this can of product for literal years. That if you are happy with the application, the look, and the protection it offers, this product will maintain-protect your finish for many years on end.

I can personally attest that my own 1997 Tahoe's finish is in such pristine condition because #476 was used on it for a good number of years to protect.

Cost per application is literal pennies IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm not sure where you came across that information. While not everybody like the products, it is still well respected. They seem to have a great reputation.

Agree since it's a liquid vs a paste. I say that only because I've applied 845 with my DA and it's super simple. I've not tried 476 since it's a paste. The only trick with 845 is to make sure it's warmed up properly and you shake it well enough to thoroughly mix it up.

I ran a daily driver with a single coat of 845 though last year's miserable mid-west winter. The car was caked in salt for long periods of time and occasionally cleaned with a touchless car wash. Miserable, tough conditions. Despite all that, there was still evidence of protection six months later.

According to Collinite's web site 476 is supposed to be even more durable that 845. If true, you should have no issues getting through winter.
    ^^this.

I have read on the AG forums that 476 can be a little difficult to remove, but haven't seen anything questioning its durability. I've gone with 845 and it is very user friendly and durable. You need to read this if you are going to try 845: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like
    I've applied #476 per directions which is one panel at a time w/o a problem. The next time I did it, which was probably a month later (yes, I'm an admitted "product waster") I applied it to the entire car and THEN removed it, once again, no problem. Finally, probably another month later, I applied it to the entire car and let it sit for an entire day, down in the garage and removed it the next day w/o a problem again, so atleast in my experience I've had NO issues wiith #476. Honestly I don't see how others have the problem with it, the only thing I can think of it applying waaaay too much, there are noobs here with "old school" mentality, I think this could be the issue.

I actually plan to do my winter prep with #476 and will apply 2x's, probably sometime in mid October, I have complete faith in the product! I should also mention I have a very good base laid down of DGNCC too, so I expect to get through winter w/o an issues!!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

I actually plan to do my winter prep with #476 and will apply 2x's, probably sometime in mid October, I have complete faith in the product! I should also mention I have a very good base laid down of DGNCC too, so I expect to get through winter w/o an issues!!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    Two coats of 476 on top of your five layers of DGNCC and now many layers of 915? At this point I'd bet the layers of LSP on your car are thicker than the paint and clear!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: To Collinite, or not to Collinite. That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Two coats of 476 on top of your five layers of DGNCC and now many layers of 915? At this point I'd bet the layers of LSP on your car are thicker than the paint and clear!
    Yeah that's true enough, although not sure how much of the DGNCC has really stood up, I mean like I said before in another thread, when I applied the 3rd coat after a 2 month period of just maintaining with DG rinseless and AW, the difference was amazing, this told me the shine was diminished. Now, that said, was it the pollen we had in the spring, maybe, I don't know but what I do know is the shine after the 3rd coat was insane! As far as durability goes, it would still bead but the beads weren't real tight either. Coats #4 and #5 were done because I wanted to, no other reason and the application of #915 was to see how this would look on my black car as others have posted many times about how awesome it is on black and I can report back to the group, IT IS

Hopefully we don't have another winter like last year but I just wanna see how well the #476 holds up and yeah, having a good base of DGNCC laid down underneath it isn't going to hurt one bit either, so I'm good no matter what, just wish I knew if the diminishing gloss also meant the durability was down as well.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast