autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie looking for advice

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forums and various AG articles to educate myself on detailing, however I still have a couple questions. To get started, I have compiled a list of products and want to make sure that what I want to get is enough(or too much?) for a beginner. Right now I am looking at:

- PC 7424XP with Lake Country 5.5" CCS pad combo Lake Country - Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pad Kit FREE BONUS
    -Comes with XMT Pad cleaner and conditioner, 2 microfiber towels, 5" backing plate, selected 2 orange, 1 pink, 2 gray, and 1 blue pad along with 2 red pads being provided as a bonus

- LC 5.5" 6-flat pad combo: 2 orange, 2 white, 1 blue, 1 black
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

- LC 3.5" Backing plate
    - Meguiars clay kit
    - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    - Meguiars UP
    - LC 4" 6-CCS pad combo: 1 orange, 1 white, 2 green, 1 gray, 1 blue
    Lake Country 4 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

- I already own Meguiars Scratch-X 2.0, UC, and Ultimate Liquid wax

I am looking to fix heavy swirls and scratches from my car paint, but as a beginner I want to make sure I am properly(though not overly) equipped for the job, or if i should even be attempting to fix the paint on a whole car as a beginner. I would prefer to attempt it myself as I feel given the amount of information online(especially on this site) I can get the job done properly.

If anybody can give input regarding product choices, product suggestions, or anything else please do since I am here to learn.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie looking for advice

I have 3 black and 3 blue 5.5" LC flat pads. I tried using a black one once, and I found it much easier to thinly apply the sealant by hand, but that will be personal preference.

I will suggest instead of buying UP, get M205. You can get it here or maybe even local. And if you didn't have UC already, I would recommend M105 instead. M105/M205 > UC/UP
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but for a beginner, I'd recommend UC and M205.

M105 can be unfriendly sometimes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Ive learned allot here and 1 thing to always look at first is can that scratch be removed you said "I am looking to fix heavy swirls and scratches from my car paint": THE TIP if your fingernail is caught while going over that scratch it is to deep to correct 100% so be reasonable. IMO Menzerna 400 followed by Meg 205 is much more user friendly or mix the UCwith 105 then UP to finish. Practice practice practice
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

First,

To Autogeek Online!!

Working a finish can be challenging but if you take your time you'll be very pleased at what you can accomplish.

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Heavy swirls and defects require the use of an appropriate pad, product, and machine.

To simplify the compounding and polishing, two over the counter products by Meguiar's do a great job at removing scratches, swirls, and like defects leaving the finish looking like glass.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish

Porter Cable's 7424xp is a great machine and I use mine on a daily basis. I have both generations of machine and my generation 1 is now 15 or 16 years old and still going strong.

The 5 1/2" size pads are ideal for this machine and I highly recommend this as the maximum size pad to use. Larger diameter pads tax this size machines power, all with the exception of the Griot's DA.

I suggest you read some of the best articles written by Mike Phillips.

Car detailing articles by Mike Phillips

New to Machine Polishing?

It's not that hard...

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

How-To do a "Section Pass" when Machine Polishing with a DA Polisher

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher?

Many consider Lake Country's Orange foam pad to be aggressive but to tell you the truth it's really a light cutting pad. It's a great pad to begin with but for heavier swirls and like defects you'll find yourself dropping down to the Yellow Cutting Pad below.

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

1-Step or Full Correction

All-in-ones or 1-step products do a nice job at removing oxidation, grime, and minor surface defects. The latest products do a damn nice job and leave some protection behind.

Compounding and Polishing are the purest way of turning an ordinary finish to a glass-like shine. There is really no comparison between the two but your goal and satisfaction will dictate your approach..

Sealant vs Wax

Sealants are man made or a "synthetic wax", Sealants actually cross-link and bond to the finish. Sealants have come a long way over the past 10 years or so and will actually rival some of the finest waxes and far exceed waxes durability.

Wax is a more natural product typically containing various grades of carnauba. Rather than bond, waxes sit on top of the finish. Waxes typically give the finish a warmer glow and a deeper wet shine.

If used together, sealants should be applied to a freshly polished finish, allowed to cure, and wax as the final step.

Coatings

Several manufactures are now offering urethane coating that are literally permanent. Once the finish is properly prepared, these new coatings add a layer of protection that's actually more durable than the clear coat.

While these coatings might be harder they are much thinner than a factory applied clear so don't confuse the two but they are very good and easy to apply.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First off thanks to everyone who responded, goes to show how helpful this online community is.

@ Dogrescuer-- The scratches are fairly light and when i go over with my fingernail i dont find they catch. I will probably need the orange pads from what ive been reading to correct the paint, but was unsure if i should step up to yellow. From your response BobbyG it seems like i should get a couple yellow ones in case.
    I have also reviewed those articles and have bookmarked a bunch more, so im happy to see im on the right track.

I figured id also start with UC and UP since they are over-the-counter products, but if M205 is safe enough for a beginner to use I wouldn't mind exploring that either.

Other than that, im assuming the pad choices are good enough for a first time user? anything missing?

thanks again for all the responses so far

Post Thanks / Like

The Orange pads are a workhorse. I find myself using them for heavier correction most of the time. A few alternatives are the Yellow, Purple Foamed Wool, and Meguiar's MF Xtra Cutting Discs (just tried these for the first time last weekend, GREAT for very hard, seriously neglected paint).

Post Thanks / Like

You're on the right track, trust me. Reading and understand the concept of detailing is paramount in achieving your goals.

I think it's a great idea to have a few yellow pads in my arsenal in the event the Orange pads just ain't cutting it......

A bit of detailing humor....

Not to create confusion but rather give you options have you ever looked at,

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System

This is a system approach to removing swirls and other paint defects and it does it in a simple yet effective way.

"DA Microfiber Discs are available in cutting and finishing discs. Their engineered foam interface offers controlled conformability. The microfiber cutting discs are gentle on the paint and do a fantastic job of evenly distributing DA Microfiber Correction Compound and letting the abrasives do their job. The result is smooth paint with no swirls!"

"Meguiar's DA Microfiber Finishing Discs are made for maximum efficiency. As you move the polisher over the paint, the microfibers adapt to the curves and contours of the paint, distributing the wax and mild cleaners evenly for maximum protection and gloss."

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the Xtra cutting discs as PapaChop advised, but mainly focused on the lake country pads.

@ BobbyG Lol good one,

Judging from the link, im assuming the Meguiars system is a simplified correction system, though i would need to do more reading into it.

I read some other threads and noticed some like the microfiber pads over the foam in terms of effectiveness, but im sure there's strong arguments for both.

Ill definitely be looking into that system, but given the assurance on my current setup it should be a good place to start

Thanks again everyone